RoSPA and IAM Again

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby GJD » Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:42 pm

redrobo wrote:I think the main difference is that MSM implies that once the mirror check is done there is no more need for it. Whilst IPSGA, the I is the base stone of the system and all the other parts fit into it, implying that the information needs to be constantly updated.

That's the main difference I see too (and I'm not sure whether it's that great a difference).

When I first encountered IPSGA, I didn't have any strong feelings about the PSGA part of it, but I did like the way Information is treated in the system for two reasons: firstly the way it continues to be important throughout PSGA and you are expected (and allowed) to modify and adapt your plan part way through the hazard or manoeuvre if new information is available, and secondly because it doesn't make any mention of how to give or find information - it is your job as a driver to assess what sources of information and means of communication are available and use them as appropriate and as required.

Like others have suggested, I wonder whether the OP suffered from a tutor/observer (or examiner) who was a little more rigid than necessary.
GJD

Postby zadocbrown » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:52 pm

redrobo wrote:I think the main difference is that MSM implies that once the mirror check is done there is no more need for it.

But that's not really what's intended is it?

Having begun the MSM sequence you are still be expected to be aware of changing circumstances, and if you fail to spot something important you will fail just as surely as if you'd never checked at all. Indeed, the DSA approved expansion of MSM (MSPSL) does specify an additional mirror check as part of 'L'.

So MSM performed correctly should really satisfy the information phase of IPSGA as well.

It seems to me that the difference is less in what the driver does, and more in how it is introduced to them. MSM is mostly used for novices who need clear instructions about the physical sequence of events required - the hope is that they will come to a more fully developed understanding in due course.

IPSGA is mostly used with drivers who have enough experience to comprehend a framework that is more complex but also a more complete representation of what is required. In the ideal world, however, the results would be much the same regardless of which initialism was used.
Last edited by zadocbrown on Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
zadocbrown

Postby kfae8959 » Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:55 pm

waremark wrote:(When I was first taught 'Advanced Driving' I learned the mnemonic 'Can My Safety Be Given Away'.)

OK, I'll have a guess:

Consider mirror, signal; brake; gear; accelerate?

David
"A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information"
kfae8959

Postby jcochrane » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:09 pm

kfae8959 wrote:OK, I'll have a guess:

Consider mirror, signal; brake; gear; accelerate?

David

C= Course.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Dec 20, 2010 4:34 pm

How about MSPMSMGMMMA ? :P
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby jcochrane » Mon Dec 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:How about MSPMSMGMMMA ? :P

OK here's my guess. Mirror, signal, position, mirror, speed, mirror, gear, mirror, manoeuvre , mirror, accelerate.

How about...CMSSMSGHA I think I've quoted it correctly, but it is from some years ago.
jcochrane

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:25 pm

jcochrane wrote:

OK here's my guess. Mirror, signal, position, mirror, speed, mirror, gear, mirror, manoeuvre , mirror, accelerate.

How about...CMSSMSGHA I think I've quoted it correctly, but it is from some years ago.

Spot on! Of course, "Mirror" may refer to checks of multiple mirrors at one time - e.g. the "mirror" following "manoeuvre" may be a check of both door mirrors for cyclists, motorcyclists, overtaking vehicles, etc. or a check of all three, since in going from one side of the vehicle to the other, it may be just as easy to do them all. It doesn't mention a shoulder check, either.

I'm guessing yours is course, mirror, shoulder check, signal, mirror, speed, gear, horn (considered), acceleration ?
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby jcochrane » Mon Dec 20, 2010 6:41 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:
jcochrane wrote:

Spot on! Of course, "Mirror" may refer to checks of multiple mirrors at one time - e.g. the "mirror" following "manoeuvre" may be a check of both door mirrors for cyclists, motorcyclists, overtaking vehicles, etc. or a check of all three, since in going from one side of the vehicle to the other, it may be just as easy to do them all. It doesn't mention a shoulder check, either.

I'm guessing yours is course, mirror, shoulder check, signal, mirror, speed, gear, horn (considered), acceleration ?

Very close. Course (deciding on) take up course with Mirror, Signal first. Speed (decide on) adjust with Mirror, Signal first. Gear for speed. Horn or lights. Aceleration For motor bikes a further shoulder check was added immediately after horn.

The original Police System from the 1930's. At least I think I remember it correctly. No I was not around at its inception whatever you might think. :lol: However it was the system I learnt and used for my car test at the age of 17.
jcochrane

Postby ROG » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:39 pm

I have a simpler one - M ..... Move :lol:
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby vonhosen » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:46 pm

jcochrane wrote:How about...CMSSMSGHA I think I've quoted it correctly, but it is from some years ago.

A little out of tune

Course
Mirror, Signal, Speed
Gear
Mirror, Signal
Horn
Acceleration
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby ExadiNigel » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:53 pm

Ah, the simplicity (and thoroughness) of IPSGA!
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby fungus » Mon Dec 20, 2010 8:58 pm

My brain hurts.

KISS. Keep It Simple Stupid. Why not just say constant observation. :lol:
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:43 pm

vonhosen wrote:
jcochrane wrote:How about...CMSSMSGHA I think I've quoted it correctly, but it is from some years ago.

A little out of tune

Course
Mirror, Signal, Speed
Gear
Mirror, Signal
Horn
Acceleration

I'm guessing the multiple signal phases are to allow for hand signals? A slowing down signal followed by a turn signal, for example?
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby jcochrane » Mon Dec 20, 2010 10:59 pm

Certainly when I first drove hand signals were required at the appropiate points in the system. On the day of your driving test you'd pray it wasn't raining or very cold as the driver's window had to be kept wound down. :cry:
jcochrane

Postby WhoseGeneration » Tue Dec 21, 2010 1:54 am

Reality for so many.
Mirror, "Yes, makeup looks good", or,"I am an Adonis".
Signal, "My right to move".
Manoeuvre, "I go".
"Wot I was taught".
Always a commentary, spoken or not.
Keeps one safe. One hopes.
WhoseGeneration

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum