Which of these DVDs do you rate most highly and why?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Best DVD to aid in tuition?

Roadcraft
27%
Cadence
18%
Bespoke Commentary
14%
Bespoke Advanced Roadcraft
41%

Total votes : 22

Postby stephenperry » Fri Apr 13, 2007 7:03 pm

stephenperry

Postby Gromit37 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:07 pm

I am in two minds about the DVD. I was half asleep when I watched the latest DVD, but I too was disappointed. :(

In his letter, Mark says that he had too much footage for one DVD, yet there is a lot of repetition of some scenes on the DVD. Also, most of the content is similar to the second DVD. I appreciate that this happens at higher speeds and in a manual car, but there is little 'new' information here. It simply reinforces the last DVD and shows that the same principles can be applied whist driving faster. The overall quality is lower. I do however appreciate that a lot of work has gone in to it, and I am happy to have the 'money off' voucher for the fourth DVD, which I shall buy. Hopefully that will open up another aspect to performance driving.

On the other hand, we should be glad that somebody is at least producing this kind of 'intelligent' DVD, rather than chav oriented, burnout filled dross that goes around on the web. :)

I'll watch it again tonight and see if being awake makes a difference :wink:
Gromit37

Postby Roadcraft » Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:39 pm

Gromit37 wrote:On the other hand, we should be glad that somebody is at least producing this kind of 'intelligent' DVD, rather than chav oriented, burnout filled dross that goes around on the web. :)

Yes...Gromit..I agree with you 100%...

There are too few such educational DVDs/Videos in production...

It's the same in the newsagent... There's magazines on buying cars, selling cars, restoring cars, tarting them up to look stupid etc etc.. But nothing on how to drive them better.... :evil:
Roadcraft

Postby Flexibase » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:04 pm

I've just had a cursory look at the latest DVD from Bespoke. Again consistently good, clear, commentary

I enjoyed it, especially as I know the IOM roads. See www.island-images.co.uk for many scenic photos)

It should also raise some discussion points about extreme straight-lining bends, i.e. verge to verge and steering techniques, e.g. initial grip past "12 o'clock"
David Wornham
Flexibase

Postby Gromit37 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 6:18 pm

Surely, by adding bigger alloys and a rear spoiler you become an expert driver? I'm hoping to swap my ickle Ford KA for a SportKA this week which has both. Therefore I automatically become an expert right? Oh, perhaps I have to get a Saxo or Corsa and a baseball cap instead? :twisted:

Sorry to any Corsa owners on here. Saturday night, some prat in a Corsa pulled out to overtake a van just on a DC, just after leaving a RAB. Right in front of me. No signal, no shoulder check, nothing. Good job I saw it coming and braked... He knew I was there when we entered the RAB as I was sat next to him, both of us waiting for a gap. Then moments later I'm tailgated by a blonde in her Corsa SXi. Him in front, her behind... it's a bloody conspiracy! :wink:
Gromit37

Postby stephenperry » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:00 pm

here are the screenshots i promised if anyone wants 'em

stephenperry

Postby jont » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:16 pm

I can't see your webserver againg Stephen. Don't know what the problem is, but even the root of the domain isn't accessible.

Jon
jont

Postby stephenperry » Mon Apr 16, 2007 7:34 pm

there we go, bloody windows xp firewall, i thought avg would have disabled it automatically like other firewalls do :o
stephenperry

Postby nuster100 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:07 pm

Thats because avg is anti virus software and not a firewall.

Firewalls are programs such as zone alarm.

Jay
"Learn from the mistakes of others, you dont have time to make them all yourself"

Rospa South West and Taunton Group Chairman 2007-2009
nuster100

Postby Gareth » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:10 pm

nuster100 wrote:Thats because avg is anti virus software and not a firewall.

Firewalls are programs such as zone alarm.

AVG can be a firewall as well as anti-virus software.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby nuster100 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:21 pm

Ah, I only ever use the free version, didnt realize they had branched out.

Avg Free + Zone Alarm Free = Freeness :-)

Jay
"Learn from the mistakes of others, you dont have time to make them all yourself"

nuster100

Postby jont » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:22 pm

nuster100 wrote:Avg Free + Zone Alarm Free = Freeness :-)

Or better still, Linux - total freeness :P (says he who's using a Mac :lol:)
jont

Postby nuster100 » Mon Apr 16, 2007 8:31 pm

Yeah, I run Macs too.

Still have to fix windoze boxes for my job.

Anyway, back on topic - so far I have only seen the roadcraft dvd, would this one be a worthwhile investment?

Jay

nuster100

Postby Gromit37 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:17 pm

It's worth getting if you haven't seen his 'Advanced Roadcraft' DVD, although to be honest, if I had to choose between that and the newer one, I'd take 'Advanced Roadcraft', because it shows a wider range of topics. As it happens I have bought all three Bespoke DVDs, and I consider the first two to be excellent, and the latest to be very good. It's good, just not as good as the other two (IMHO), but I'm not 100% sure why... can't put my finger on it. I hope Mark can make the fourth one up to the standards of the first two.

Ian
Gromit37

Postby The Thinker » Tue Apr 17, 2007 7:47 pm

I agree with what has been said.

I found I had to really pay attention to hear what he was saying over the noise of the engine.
The Thinker

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum