Maintenance advice!!

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby x-Sonia-x » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:41 pm

Well I have me car back....and im happy :D :D

michael769 wrote:I agree with the others though - it's not a safety issue, but it does fall in the potential for expensive damage category.

I did ask when I picked the car up, why he told me it was dangerous, and he said that there were several leaks, the header tank was leaking, several places on the hose and the connection to the radiator was leaking (whoever had the car before me had taped the hose in several places, he showed me this!!!!) - the car was so low on coolant that if I had driven it I could of caused extensive damage to the engine. So guys you were all right - perhaps he could of chosen a better word than 'dangerous' :roll:

Anyway all jobs are now done, and he has even downloaded new software which should override the old codes sooo hopefully I wont see the engine warning light anymore :D :D ...fingers crossed :D :D
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby x-Sonia-x » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:07 pm

Thinking about my car and the 'dangerous' radiator leak I have decided im really, rather gullible. Sooo ive decided to do a basic mechanic course, so I know what goes on under the bonnet and what everything is. I will stil get someone else to do it for me though....coz I dont want to get me hands dirty :lol: :lol:
x-Sonia-x

Postby fungus » Sat Feb 13, 2010 8:39 pm

x-Sonia-x wrote:I will stil get someone else to do it for me though....coz I dont want to get me hands dirty

Mechanics dont get their hands dirty. They wear rubber gloves. Pansies! :lol:
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby michael769 » Sun Feb 14, 2010 1:29 pm

x-Sonia-x wrote:Thinking about my car and the 'dangerous' radiator leak I have decided im really, rather gullible. Sooo ive decided to do a basic mechanic course, so I know what goes on under the bonnet and what everything is. I will stil get someone else to do it for me though....coz I dont want to get me hands dirty :lol: :lol:

You might want to consider a book on the subject. I still have a copy of the AA's "Cars: How they work and how to fix them". It contained very detailed (but understandable) descriptions of how cars work and how all the bits hang together. It also contained DIY projects for the very keen. It was great for getting a handle on the mechanics of cars. Sadly it is out of print now (and out of date), and there is no up to date equivalent, but I suspect that there will be a few alternatives out there you could try.

A lot of mechanical knowledge comes from experience though. Each time you encounter a fault like that you learn a little more that you can use next time it comes up. The only reason I can hear a worn wheel bearing long before it gets bad enough to need fixed is because I have had a fair few go over the years and have learned exactly what they sound like.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby x-Sonia-x » Sun Feb 14, 2010 4:16 pm

michael769 wrote:A lot of mechanical knowledge comes from experience though. Each time you encounter a fault like that you learn a little more that you can use next time it comes up

I think this is very true....for me already, I would now know exactly what I was looking at under the bonnet with regards to the header tank, hose and radiator, coz he showed me wht he had done and where he had put the new bits. It also made me realise something else, the coolant tank he took off was sooooo covered in limescale you could not see the level that was in there. Now there is a new one of course I can easily see how much is in there and if a problem arises then deal with it immediately :wink: In fact in the 8 months ive had this car I do think that I have learnt quite alot.

A book is a really good idea, my knowledge is still very limited and I would like to know more. In fact in all honesty I wouldnt mind trying a few bits myself. When I first got the C3 the bulb had gone on the sidelight, I changed that myself 8) 8)
x-Sonia-x

Postby jont » Sun Feb 14, 2010 6:17 pm

x-Sonia-x wrote:A book is a really good idea, my knowledge is still very limited and I would like to know more. In fact in all honesty I wouldnt mind trying a few bits myself.

Ah yes, DIY. Been there, done that. It's all well and good until you get stuck with only half the suspension on the car and a bolt that should "tap" out, won't move for love nor money nor blow torch nor lump hammer and you can't get it back together either :lol:

Where's that list of jokes about Haynes manuals again?
jont

Postby x-Sonia-x » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:45 am

jont wrote:It's all well and good until you get stuck with only half the suspension on the car

:lol: :lol: ...dont think my DIY efforts will ever stretch that far :lol: :lol:
x-Sonia-x

Postby x-Sonia-x » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:02 pm

Just when I thought my car was faultless.....

my brakes have started squeeling :shock: . I think its the front ones which have just been changed. They were doing it here and there, but now its all the time and quite noisy :twisted: Is it normal for new brakes to do this and can I do anything to stop it :?:
x-Sonia-x

Postby Porker » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:54 pm

I would take the car back to the garage that fitted the new pads and get them to check it.

The cause of squealing is the pad vibrating at a very high frequency in the calipers when the brakes are applied. The usual cure is to i) make sure the anti-squeal shims are fitted (they take various forms, but essentially damp any possible movement of the brake pads so they can't vibrate) and/or ii) use a little copper grease between the pad and the caliper which in itself damps out any tendency for the pads to vibrate.

The garage will be familiar with all of this and they really should be willing to sort it out.

regards
P.
Porker

Postby x-Sonia-x » Sun Feb 21, 2010 1:23 am

Porker wrote:I would take the car back to the garage that fitted the new pads and get them to check it.

I will get them to check it. I have an appointment with them on Monday anyway, as I ordered another key as I only ave one, £137 :shock: ....thats one hundred and thirty seven whole pounds....for a piddly lil key, im flabbergasted :shock: :shock:
x-Sonia-x

Postby x-Sonia-x » Sat Mar 06, 2010 7:43 pm

x-Sonia-x wrote:Just when I thought my car was faultless.....

Sorry guys..im back again :twisted: :twisted: Brakes still squeaky, I told garage and they cleaned em and said it would get better...not yet!! Anyway thats not the problem.

Last few days ive started smelling a burning smell. It happens most of the time, and ALWAYS within 5 minutes of starting the engine. It smells like burnt rubber. If I have anyone in the car they can smell it too. After few minutes it disappears and it dont happen no more. Can you tell me what it might be??....please dont say I need to get it checked....again :( :( :(
x-Sonia-x

Postby fungus » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:09 pm

Sorry to hear that Sonia. Unfortunately it could be any one of a number of things as there's a fair amount of rubber under the bonnet, hoses, drive belts etc. Hopefully it's something simple. My Ibiza has on two or three occasions belched out greyish smoke when I've been reversing. Never found out what it was, and it hasn't done it for probably a year now.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby x-Sonia-x » Sat Mar 06, 2010 8:43 pm

Thank Nigel

Today I noticed it more, probably coz Ive been in/out 4-5 times. Think I will take it in and let him have a look on Monday! Think it is probably something to do with the radiator, hose and stuff I had replaced couple weeks ago...but then thats a guess :?
x-Sonia-x

Postby x-Sonia-x » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:35 pm

Hi guys

looking for a lil advice please. Ive just cleaned me car, checked all the levels and noticed me oil is at minimum. Ive only had it serviced a couple of months ago....so my question is should it need topping up so quickly...and also do i fill it through the same hole as the dipstick? :oops: :oops:
x-Sonia-x

Postby ScoobyChris » Mon Apr 26, 2010 1:56 pm

Without wanting to teach you to suck eggs, when you checked the oil, was the car on level ground and did you follow the guidelines in the handbook, eg checking when engine is cold or warm, and is the oil level sitting at minimum on the dipstick "acceptable"? :)

If you did, and the oil level really is low, then the answer is no, it shouldn't need topping up that quickly, but some cars do have a thirst for oil. Again check the handbook to see what the manufacturer's permissible engine oil use is - you might be surprised what they deem "acceptable" :roll: :lol: Btw, don't fill it up through the dipstick - there should be an oil filler cap with a larger aperture that you can use which'll be much easier. You'll also want to look up in the handbook what type of oil you need (will be a spec like 10W40) and how much the difference is between minimum and maximum on the dipstick so you know how much to buy.

Chris
ScoobyChris

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum