Which of these DVDs do you rate most highly and why?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Best DVD to aid in tuition?

Roadcraft
27%
Cadence
18%
Bespoke Commentary
14%
Bespoke Advanced Roadcraft
41%

Total votes : 22

Postby Roadcraft » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:09 pm

Gromit37 wrote:It's worth getting if you haven't seen his 'Advanced Roadcraft' DVD, although to be honest, if I had to choose between that and the newer one, I'd take 'Advanced Roadcraft', because it shows a wider range of topics.

I agree with you Gromit...

The 'Advanced Roadcraft' is a better all round DVD.
Roadcraft

Postby Gromit37 » Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:16 pm

Roadcraft wrote:
Gromit37 wrote:It's worth getting if you haven't seen his 'Advanced Roadcraft' DVD, although to be honest, if I had to choose between that and the newer one, I'd take 'Advanced Roadcraft', because it shows a wider range of topics.

I agree with you Gromit...

The 'Advanced Roadcraft' is a better all round DVD.

:D

I knew that if I posted on these forums often enough... eventually, somebody was bound to agree with something I said. :wink:
Gromit37

Postby stephenperry » Thu Apr 19, 2007 1:31 pm

i think they might have stopped selling the Cadence commentary one, couldn't see it on the website last time i looked :?:
stephenperry

Postby 7db » Fri Apr 20, 2007 9:20 am

More dancing. :-)

A fresh approach would be to have themed sections
- junctions
- roundabouts
- overtaking
etc
where five or six approaches to the hazard are dealt with one after the other, cut together. In contrast to the "long story" approach of the current DVD (and *any* chapters would help a little).
7db

Postby Gromit37 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 9:37 am

I have to agree with Mr db here... overtaking, roundabouts and perhaps limit points. How about gear usage in a manual transmission and steering techniques? A quick demo of the Caterham going round Bruntingthorpe at high speed, just so we all know driving isn't all roadsigns and traffic jams :)

Scantily clad, attractive young ladies driving fast cars will probably increase sales... not that any of the ADUK crowd would be swayed in the slightest. Honest. :wink:
Gromit37

Postby nuster100 » Mon Apr 23, 2007 10:56 am

High speed reversing? :P

Though seriously, overtaking and stopping on corners in the wet etc would be cool.

Jay
"Learn from the mistakes of others, you dont have time to make them all yourself"

Rospa South West and Taunton Group Chairman 2007-2009
nuster100

Postby MarkKendrick » Sun Apr 29, 2007 9:12 pm

Gromit37 wrote: ...most of the content is similar to the second DVD. I appreciate that this happens at higher speeds and in a manual car, but there is little 'new' information here. It simply reinforces the last DVD and shows that the same principles can be applied whist driving faster.

Hello Gromit37,

I'm surprised you think that there's "little new information" in our latest DVD. Over and above our last production it includes advice on:

- steering technique
- gear-changing technique (inc. Heel & Toe)
- emergency lane-changes
- ESP (Electronic Stability Programme) awareness, etc.

I'll work hard on ensuring our next DVD impresses you!

Mark
www.BespokeDriverTraining.co.uk
www.ClubDriving.co.uk
MarkKendrick

Postby Gromit37 » Mon Apr 30, 2007 8:12 pm

I'm glad I don' make my living as a film critic... I feel like a rabbit caught in the headlights of a large HGV :oops:

Surprising as it may seem, I was impressed with parts of the DVD. There is little actually wrong with it, apart from the engine noise drowns out some of the speech. I also thought that some external shots of the car during emergency lane changes would have been good. The worst part for me, was the repetition of various scenes throughout. It simply detracts from the overall quality.

Granted there are *some* new topics in here, but much of the content could have been lifted from the previous DVDs. Commentary driving and observation to mention two. For people who have bought all three discs, these areas don't add much. The ESP and emergency lane changing sections, would in my humble opinion, have benefitted from being longer, with external footage to add extra clarity. The effect of the 'Steering' section has already upset one of my RoSPA observers... as I kept reaching past the standard 12 o'clock position using pull/push I must wait until after my test to do that. :wink:

As I have previously mentioned, we should be glad that there are people prepared to put the work in to produce such material, and the fact that I intend to own all four DVDs should be testament to that. That you don't have an unlimited budget and resources is also appreciated. I'm looking forward to the next installment, and if I'm not impressed, I'll book a session with bespoke and get you to give me a demo drive, That would no doubt shut me up :wink:

Best wishes

Ian
Gromit37

Postby Jack Russell » Sun Jun 03, 2007 1:33 am

I have all the above mentioned DVDs which all have their individual merits.

There's one thing that I would like to see and that's a commentary drive of some really stressful roads, of my own choosing, which would include sections of the A406 North Circular Road and some other London horrors.
Jack Russell

Postby MarkKendrick » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:16 pm

In response to customer feedback, the second version of two of our popular DVDs include enhancements.

1. Commentary DVD - navigation has been enhanced (you can now navigate directly to each of the three featured commentaries).

2. High Performance RoadCraft DVD - the sound has been remixed, in places enhancing the clarity of the voiceovers. Also, the ESP awareness and emergency lane-change sections have been refilmed, with enhanced sound. In addition, there are now exterior shots of the emergency lane-changes.

All the best,
MarkKendrick

Postby ScoobyChris » Tue Jun 05, 2007 1:54 pm

Mark - is the enhanced edition available to people who've already purchased the originals?

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby MarkKendrick » Tue Jun 05, 2007 3:08 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:Mark - is the enhanced edition available to people who've already purchased the originals?

Chris

Of course! However, if I were you, I wouldn't purchase a replacement. The second editions include enhancements, but the content is the same.

Mark.
MarkKendrick

Postby Gromit37 » Wed Jun 13, 2007 7:26 pm

Is there a chance we could see the re-filmed clips online from the HPR DVD(perhaps low res AVI clips ) without having to purchase the whole DVD again? Mainly the new external shots of the lane changes? These could also serve as 'tasters/trailers' for those who have not yet bought a DVD, the space and bandwidth to host them would be negligable (For example I have ripped all the DVDs to my Palm PDA with video size 462x352 x 20fps, approx 400 kilobits per second, plus MP3 sound at 96 kilobits per second, the whole of the HPD DVD takes up only around 165Mb, but is completely watchable) so a few mins of video will be small and easily watchable over the web.

Just an idea.

Regards

Ian
Gromit37

Postby Tomasz » Thu Jul 12, 2007 9:19 am

I thought the commentary dvd with the camera pointing the wrong way in two out of the three drives was a lot worse than any engine noise in the high performance dvd...
Tomasz

Postby MarkKendrick » Sun Jul 15, 2007 11:16 pm

Tomasz wrote:I thought the commentary dvd with the camera pointing the wrong way in two out of the three drives was a lot worse than any engine noise in the high performance dvd...

Eh? What do you mean, Tomasz?
MarkKendrick

PreviousNext

Return to General Car Chat Forum