How do I become and HGV driver.

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby MiniClubmanEstate » Sun Feb 18, 2007 3:32 pm

O.K. here goes. I currently have no career options, I work for WM Morrisons Supermarkets as a Store/Shop Floor Systems Clerk and have had my hours cut to part time due to cost cutting measures in the company. I now have to find a new career and fancied doing something that gets me out and something that would actually make me feel useful.
I am interested in some HGV training but don't know how to start. I am reluctant to pay up-front for a course as my dad was ripped of by a driving instructor training organisation and I am £2700 down after a web-design course which was beyond a joke.
I am aware that Morrisons at least had a driving school but I don't know if they still do as the company seems to be self-destructing as they made a huge mess integrating Safeway. The other problem with Morrisons is that the chances of me actually getting the information I need are so slim.
It's most likely that I will be training in my own time around work if I can afford to.

Can anybody recommend the best way to get going?
Thanks.
Andrew: PCV, IAM Car
Smoky - Pronounced as Smokey, a unique little Mini.
MiniClubmanEstate

Postby Rick » Sun Feb 18, 2007 5:45 pm

I'd speak to a reputable local LGV instructor, ask around and get recommendations. Speak to them for options, chances are they will give you a realistic costing, and maybe a drive to assess the standard you are at. I take it you are looking for a Cat C license? Mirror use is one of the biggest things for the LGV test and you should practice using them in your car. On the courses i used to run for work we did about 30 hours driving and had about a 90% first time pass rate.
Rick

Postby MiniClubmanEstate » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:30 pm

Presumably I need cat C+E. I have seen a Ritchies school of motoring truck near my work which may be worth investigating.
My dad is going to find out if anybody in Happy Hour who he works for does HGV's in Glasgow.
I'll keep an eye on my use of mirrors, this will also help me get a little closer the my target of Rospa Gold, and I'll be having a go at an IAM observer course if they'll have me. :wink: I'll be making phone calls this week.
Thanks for the tip.
MiniClubmanEstate

Postby Rick » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:35 pm

I'm pretty certain you need to do a cat C before you can take C+E. I know in the past you could go straight for C+E. I'll try to find the info.
Rick

Postby Rick » Sun Feb 18, 2007 6:39 pm

Check here
Rick

Postby MiniClubmanEstate » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:29 pm

Cheers, it doesn't look as expensive as I thought. :D

I'll have a look around for the best training and decide when to start.

Thanks for the link.
MiniClubmanEstate

Postby cochapman » Sun Feb 18, 2007 7:37 pm

There's a trucker (goes by the username of 18wheeler) on the 5ive-o forum. A really friendly chap and I'm sure he would be able to give you the inside track on HGV driving in general and possibly training as well.
cochapman

Postby Rick » Sun Feb 18, 2007 8:12 pm

You are welcome, and good luck :D
Rick

Postby vonhosen » Sun Feb 18, 2007 9:06 pm

You do the C, then the C+E.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby Jack Russell » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:20 pm

I did mine a few years ago with Rollright School of Transport, Enstone, Oxfordshire, when you could go straight to C+E, they explained everything.

I did 6 days training, took and passed the test on the 7th day :D

The day started at 8am with Highway Code and videos then straight out on the road. There were usually about 5-6 C+E and C learners at this school at any one time. They had two Mercedes artics with 6 gears and 30 foot long flat bed trailers and a ridgid lorry. All the gearboxes were simple except one which had a splitter to give a high and low ratio in each gear.

You share the lorry with another learner, swapping the driver seat every 60-90 mins, and it's suprising what you learn watching another learning

After passing I got some experence driving a friends lorry 17 tonner hauling tarmac or sand, then I got to know a friendly local haulage firm and went out with their drivers. In time I was let loose on 7.5 tonners, and if they had drivers off the 17 tonner or the artic with all its 16 gears :o and worked for them part-time.

I think it is important to get some real practice once you pass, especially fully loaded and with splitter and range change gearboxes. And in an ERF with an Eaton twin splitter :D

Sadly when I moved away from the area I didn't bother to keep it up.

One last tip. When you see you GP for the medical make sure you let him know you are paying the medical and training off your own back, rather than let him think your employer is paying. He may then only charge a token amount for the medical :lol:
Jack Russell

Postby ROG » Sun Feb 18, 2007 10:21 pm

MiniClubmanEstate.
I have PM you as I was a LGV instructor for most of 2005
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Rick » Sun Feb 18, 2007 11:30 pm

I am an LGV instructor still (although i dont use it as my main job as i'm into other instruction now) but if you need any tips from me let me know. I'm sure between us we can get you all the info you need.
Rick

Postby Nigel » Mon Feb 19, 2007 12:25 am

Have a look around your local transport companies.

I believe lorry drivers are in short supply.

Wiseman daires advertise frequently down here, offering free lgv training (I've no idea what the catch is, or what the pay is like) .

You also see a lot of bus companies offering free training (if you fancy that).

Rennie is up your way, a bit busy at the moment I believe, but he'll be a good chap to talk to when he has time again.

Wisemans website : http://www.wiseman-dairies.co.uk/

here is an extract of their careers stuff :

A key attribute of the Company's continued success is the philosophy of encouraging employee development programmes and promotion from within. The Company focus on the provision of both internal and external training initiatives, examples include Institute of Leadership and Management training and Modern Apprenticeship schemes for Young Drivers. The Company are proud to have trained the youngest LGV C+E driver in the UK.
Nigel

Postby The Thinker » Mon Feb 19, 2007 9:01 am

My brother is doing HGV and seems to like CTTS in Bathgate.
The Thinker

Postby PeteG » Mon Feb 19, 2007 2:00 pm

What are the chances of being able to fit an LGV apprenticeship around my regular nightshift (6 hours a night)? Being as I am 19, it's the only way I'd be able to get a C/ C+E licence, but I don't fancy going back to apprenticeship wages.
"There's always another day, and I would rather miss a few than get one badly wrong." - TripleS, on overtaking.
PeteG

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum