Drink Driving and Christmas Crackdown

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Darren » Sun Dec 11, 2005 1:35 pm

I often think about the Christmas Crack down by the Police on drink drive offenders. As Advanced Drivers, I would like to think none of us stray into this category.

That was until last year when a very good friend of mine was banned after being breathalised the morning after....

How many of us drive...the morning after? I expect far too many of us dont know how much alcohol there is in our system the day after, even after a moddest night out. As responsible driver's we then have a dilemma, stay in all day "just in case" and abide by the law (even though it's difficult to measure our intoxication level), or assume were' ok because we've had some sleep.

Be truthful..how many people on this forum, assume they are ok to drive the day after? or do any of you try to work it out, based on hours per unit of alcohol drank..

Given technology as it is, there is absolutely no reason at all why anyone should be driving under the influence. A vehicle should easily be able to tell if someone has been drinking, any amount. A sensor in the driver's compartment could easily pick up the "smell" of alcohol on one's breath. Would it be in the interests of the government, or the vehicle manufacturer's to fit this technology? Is it seen as a breach of human rights, similar to in car speed regulation?

Given the governments action and saying "you can't calculate if your over the limit", surely no alcohol is the best approach, and therefor vehicles should be designed to detect the presence of "any" on the driver?

Secondly, interesting that the government annually present figures on how many people are tested for drink driving. If there were more Officers on the roads, surely this could be an ongoing process....why just Christmas (obviously being the annual party going season), keeping people in line is not a once a year activity.

Anyway, just a few thoughts.
Darren

Postby jibberjabber25 » Sun Dec 11, 2005 2:37 pm

My attitude is best to stay away.

Then again, I would say that because I'm teetotal.
IAM Qualified Observer
jibberjabber25

Postby vonhosen » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:01 pm

"Alcolocks" are an area that the government is looking at (amongst many others).

A lot of others measures discussed on this link too.

http://www.pacts.org.uk/Policing%20Road%20Risk.pdf
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby Rick » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:17 pm

I recently bought a Digital breath check, i always use it for the morning after. And yes i know it is not as accurate as a Police one but it does give a good indication. Another thing it has showed me is that 2 pints of Carling in an hour and i am over the limit!! Well worth £40 in my opinion.
Rick

Postby Darren » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:25 pm

Where did you get it from? One to add to the list of xmas presents for a car nutter I think.
Darren

Postby Rick » Sun Dec 11, 2005 5:55 pm

Rick

Return to General Car Chat Forum