Rover Radio codes

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Nigel » Wed Mar 07, 2007 12:26 am

I've just bought a Rover 75 (yes I know they are for old men that smell of wee, my kids keep telling me).

Its to replace my vectra estate in a couple of weeks time, poor old things getting passed its best.

Do any of you know where I can get the radio code from ?, it'd be a shame to have to change it just because I don't have the code.

Its ok at the moment, but the first time I dissconnect the battery it wont be.
Nigel

Postby TripleS » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:22 am

Nigel wrote:I've just bought a Rover 75 (yes I know they are for old men that smell of wee, my kids keep telling me).

Its to replace my vectra estate in a couple of weeks time, poor old things getting passed its best.

Do any of you know where I can get the radio code from ?, it'd be a shame to have to change it just because I don't have the code.

Its ok at the moment, but the first time I dissconnect the battery it wont be.

Isn't there a slip of paper or a sticker anywhere amongst the documentation (handbook etc.) that will tell you. I agree that such information is best kept somewhere other than in the car, but it's just a thought. Maybe you've already searched the car and paperwork thoroughly, in which case I would try speaking to a Rover dealer, or look for the Rover owners' web sites, forums etc. HTH.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Ludd » Wed Mar 07, 2007 8:49 am

Definitely speak to a dealer. Having worked round the fringes of the trade for a few years I now realise there are loads of people out there who can sort out things like that.
Ludd

Postby Nigel » Wed Mar 07, 2007 11:46 pm

I can't speak to a dealer guys, Rover went bust !

I've been pointed to loads of places on the internet that seem to have the database for these, cost seems to be between £5 - £15.
Nigel

Postby stephenperry » Thu Mar 08, 2007 12:32 am

a lot of the radio decoding software available on the net are scams.... some work, most don't.... generally speaking you get 3 chances to enter the correct code then you're locked out for a predetermined amount of time (sticking it in a freezer, in my experience, does nothing), usually an hour... then you get another chance(s), locked out a bit longer this time... then final chance(s) then it's locked out permanently

get an exchange & mart...lots of "radio decoding" ads in there....or take the original radio out, get yourself another radio of your choice, a fascia blanking plate from "autoleads" and an iso connector (halfords or on the web (www.caraudiodirect.co.uk for example)), problem solved....when selling tell the dealer/buyer that the radio isn't included but you have the original radio but it needs a keycode.... put the original back in before the car is handed over, sell your 'new' radio, iso and fascia on ebay
Alpina B10 3.3 #118 : Ford Sierra XR4i : Peugeot 307 HDi 90 S
stephenperry

Postby Nigel » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:09 am

Its not the software they are selling Stephen, you give them the model and ser no, they sell you the code.

I'd rather keep the original radio, as it fits, it looks the part, and its rather un-nickable, as its so big you need a 75 to carry it around !

Apparently some "dealers" are still going, selling other brands now of course, but still doing rover stuff under " X pat" or something similar.

Good this internet stuff.
Nigel

Postby BillZZR600 » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:29 am

Many good and legit ICE places can sort it for you. They can recode and issue you with a new lock code.

Had to have it done on a Citroen (Blaupunkt) a few years back, when I inadvertantly :oops: locked it out trying to reset it after the battery had run flat. cost around £25 and I had to show them the V5 before they would do it.
Kawasaki ZZR600/Renault Laguna 1.8i
RoADAR Advanced Rider (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Motorcycle) Tutor
RoADAR Advanced Driver (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Car) Tutor
BillZZR600

Postby Kawasaki-krazy » Thu Mar 08, 2007 1:51 am

Make yourself a couple of leads with crocodile clips each end, then, if you have to change the battery you can connect the leads from a seperate 12V supply to the leads on the car. Remove the old battery without losing the 12V supply and without losing your code. Disconnect AFTER you start your engine on the 'new' battery, just in case the 'new' battery is a bit down on power.

HTH

KK
Kawasaki-krazy

Postby rodericksdad » Thu Mar 08, 2007 6:43 am

:) and just to make you even happier if you disconect the battery dont forget you may have to reset your electric windows operation,but that should be in the handbook,
Best regards,Clive.
rodericksdad

Postby stephenperry » Thu Mar 08, 2007 11:09 pm

sorry, i misunderstood your dilemma Nige, i thought you'd bought a car in which the radio code needed to be entered and noone knew what it was

if you're cack handed like me and want the lazy mans option, gunsons sell a "memory saver" that plugs into the cigar lighter and does the same job as the crocodile clips method, you'll see gunsons stuff sold in halfords and most car accessory shops
Alpina B10 3.3 #118 : Ford Sierra XR4i : Peugeot 307 HDi 90 S
stephenperry

Postby PeteG » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:51 am

stephenperry wrote:if you're cack handed like me and want the lazy mans option, gunsons sell a "memory saver" that plugs into the cigar lighter and does the same job as the crocodile clips method, you'll see gunsons stuff sold in halfords and most car accessory shops

Since it's a Rover, can you get one to fit the pipe lighter instead? ;)
"There's always another day, and I would rather miss a few than get one badly wrong." - TripleS, on overtaking.
PeteG

Postby TripleS » Fri Mar 09, 2007 3:36 pm

PeteG wrote:
stephenperry wrote:if you're cack handed like me and want the lazy mans option, gunsons sell a "memory saver" that plugs into the cigar lighter and does the same job as the crocodile clips method, you'll see gunsons stuff sold in halfords and most car accessory shops

Since it's a Rover, can you get one to fit the pipe lighter instead? ;)

Was it Jaguar that used to refer to a cigar lighter, whereas the same component in most other cars was a cigarette lighter?

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Kawasaki-krazy » Sat Mar 10, 2007 12:09 am

chriskay wrote:
TripleS wrote:Was it Jaguar that used to refer to a cigar lighter, whereas the same component in most other cars was a cigarette lighter?

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Reminds me of the famous reply from Rolls Royce; when asked what the horsepower was, the answer was "sufficient"

Cheers, Chris.

or......in reply to one of the major car companies criticisms that "even the Rolls Royce doesn't have self levelling headlights"
Rolls Royce replied " our cars have no need of self levelling headlights........the whole car is self levelling"

Class

KK
Kawasaki-krazy

Postby SammyTheSnake » Sat Mar 10, 2007 1:02 am

All this talk of rollers reminds me of a friend of mine who worked as an acoustic engineer at Bentley during his degree (making them *very* quiet) and some of the stories he used to tell.

One of the things that caught me was a technique used to produce the massive power and torque required to make such a heavy car drive in a suitably refined way and meet the emissions requirements (though the rules have all changed now and I don't know if they use the same cheats) The engines all had turbo chargers, but most of the pressure was diverted directly into the exhaust, diluting it and making the concentrations of nasty chemicals in output lower...

He also told me about going to McDonald's in a stretched Bentley and parking in 5 bays sideways :D

Cheers & God bless
Sam "SammyTheSnake" Penny
DSA A 2003/08/01 - first go
Zach 2003-2006 - 1995 Diversion 600
DSA B 2007/03/05 - second go
Ninny 2007-2008 - Focus TDDI
Unnamed 2008- Mk3 1.4 Golf
http://www.sampenny.co.uk/
SammyTheSnake

Postby TripleS » Sat Mar 10, 2007 8:26 am

Kawasaki-krazy wrote:
chriskay wrote:
TripleS wrote:Was it Jaguar that used to refer to a cigar lighter, whereas the same component in most other cars was a cigarette lighter?

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Reminds me of the famous reply from Rolls Royce; when asked what the horsepower was, the answer was "sufficient"

Cheers, Chris.

or......in reply to one of the major car companies criticisms that "even the Rolls Royce doesn't have self levelling headlights"
Rolls Royce replied " our cars have no need of self levelling headlights........the whole car is self levelling"

Class

KK

There was also criticism of Rolls Royce for delaying their adoption of disc brakes when they were appearing on other cars. RR reputedly replied:

'When disc brakes become as good as our drum brakes, we'll use them' - or words to that effect.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum