Isn't the A85 lovely?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby martine » Thu Aug 16, 2007 9:05 pm

I'm currently on hols with the family in Scotland and been driving around the Perth - Crieff - Stirling areas this week (and next).

Our log cabin is on the A85 (between Comrie and Loch Earn if anyone knows the area) and the road just cries out for something a little more fun than the family people carrier (Toyota Previa with cronic understeer). Even my trusty Focus 1.8 would be a whole loada fun on this road.

For any locals on this forum: do you have any recomendations for places to visit with the family (kids are 10, 14, 17, 19) and don't say 'hill walking' as I'd be lynched!

Also recommendations for country pubs would be good.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby OILY PAWS » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:06 pm

The Green Welly, Tyndrum good food, loads of touring destinations

Killin, loads of places to eat and drink http://www.killin.co.uk/
OILY PAWS

Postby gordonb » Thu Aug 16, 2007 11:27 pm

I live at the other end of the A85 in Oban. Fantastic road, well they all are up here!

There's a good watersports centre over the hill on Loch Tay at Kenmore. (Crannog centre I think its called). Also lots of nice walks in the forestry above it on Drummond Hill.

The views form the south side of Loch Tay back towards Killin are stunning.

The oldest tree in the UK (poss Europe) is in Fortingal near to Kenmore on the other side of Drummond Hill.

Further west you've got as already said Tyndrum, and beyond Rannoch Moor, Glen Coe etc. Your about 45 mins to Tyndrum then another 50 min to Glen Coe or Oban.

Cruachan Power Station on Loch Awe side is worth a visit (about 25 mins from Tyndrum)

Enjoy God's own country!

Gordon
gordonb

Postby Renny » Fri Aug 17, 2007 10:27 am

gordonb wrote:I live at the other end of the A85 in Oban. Fantastic road, well they all are up here!

There's a good watersports centre over the hill on Loch Tay at Kenmore. (Crannog centre I think its called). Also lots of nice walks in the forestry above it on Drummond Hill.

The views form the south side of Loch Tay back towards Killin are stunning.

The oldest tree in the UK (poss Europe) is in Fortingal near to Kenmore on the other side of Drummond Hill.

Further west you've got as already said Tyndrum, and beyond Rannoch Moor, Glen Coe etc. Your about 45 mins to Tyndrum then another 50 min to Glen Coe or Oban.

Cruachan Power Station on Loch Awe side is worth a visit (about 25 mins from Tyndrum)

Enjoy God's own country!

Gordon

I agree with Gordon, Kenmore area is wonderful. My Mum now stays in Fearnan between Kenmore and Fortingal where they run a small holiday cottage that they rent out.

If you are in the Fortingal area, try to visit Castle Menzies (on the back road from Fortingal to Aberfeldy, by Weem) for lunch (they also sell some nice wines in the shop :) ) and a trip round the castle.

Aberfeldy has a distillery with visitors centre. The road from the centre of Aberfeldy, over the Birks has some nice views and could form a nice circular touring route back to Creiff, or you could go over Glen Quaich from the head of Loch Tay at Kenmore, to Amulree, the via the Sma' Glen.

Dunkeld has some nice picturesque and easy walks from The Hermitage (beside the A9, just about 1m north of Dunkeld), which are not taxing, but have some spectacular viewsa alongside the Tay. Dunkeld iteslf is nice and you could treat yourself to either the Land Rover Experience or a meal at the Hilton Dunkeld House Hotel, or a cheaper pub lunch at the Royal Dunkeld Hotel. They also have quad-bike trails at the Land Rover Experience (ask for Graeme or Rick and feel free to mention my name).

Enjoy your holiday, and take the Focus next time :lol:

PS. Heading over to Lochgoilhead next Wednesday to present a H&S course at an outdoor centre Fife Council have out there. Looking forward to a nice 2.5 hour each-way drive in a diesel Corsa :roll: Still, the Fleet engineer says he might have a new Corsa demonstrator for me to evaluate :)
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby Susie » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:53 pm

The A87 from Invergarry to Kyle of Lochalsh is wonderful - have lunch at The Kintail Lodge and tell Michele we'll see her again for lunch next March :D
Or, you could go off on the white road at Shiel Bridge, stopping off at the top of Mam Ratagan Pass for the most fantastic views of the Five Sisters of Kintail (they're mountains, not wimmin btw) :wink: Call in advance to see if the Glenelg Inn is open - IIRC Christopher Main was selling up a year or so ago but from a quick Google it looks as if someone called David MacLeod has taken over. Potter along the road towards Sandaig and you'll see Pictish brochs - and you can get quite close to the site of Camusfearna (where Gavin Maxwell wrote 'Ring of Bright Water'), although the building was destroyed 18 months before he died. Take the resurrected ferry crossing to Kylerhea on Skye and soak in the scenery on whichever of the circuits you choose.

Another interesting route is off the A87 near Kyle of Lochalsh on to the A890/A896, Torridon, Kinlochlewe, Achnasheen but don't bother if the clouds are low as you wont see anything and the road is very narrow in places!

Although not very long, one of my favourite roads is the A819 from Dalmally (A85) down to Inverary - sad though it is, I've been known to drive it in both directions, just for the sheer joy of it. For lovers of the uisge beatha, there is a fantastic shop on the main street of Inverary, named after the loch upon which it gazes.

Kind regards
Susie
Susie

Postby gordonb » Sat Aug 18, 2007 6:12 pm

Susie wrote:
Although not very long, one of my favourite roads is the A819 from Dalmally (A85) down to Inverary - sad though it is, I've been known to drive it in both directions, just for the sheer joy of it. For lovers of the uisge beatha, there is a fantastic shop on the main street of Inverary, named after the loch upon which it gazes.

Kind regards
Susie

That road is part of my daily commute to work in Inveraray! Check out the George Hotel in Inveraray for fantastic food.

GB
gordonb

Postby Big Err » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:08 pm

Renny wrote:Looking forward to a nice 2.5 hour each-way drive in a diesel Corsa :roll: Still, the Fleet engineer says he might have a new Corsa demonstrator for me to evaluate :)

Check the oil level Renny, our colleagues in Fleet like to ensure the oil is way above the mark!! Long story, give me a ring on monday and I'll fill you in.

Eric
Big Err

Postby martine » Sun Aug 19, 2007 10:36 pm

Hey thanks guys and gals for your thoughts.

We actually did the A819 last week to Inverary and yes it was interesting and jolly twisty.

Not motoring related but we went to the Creiff highland games today and thoroughly enjoyed the atmosphere, sights and sounds.

'Doing' Edinburgh tomorrow.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby OILY PAWS » Sun Aug 19, 2007 11:15 pm

Tip, the centre of Edinburgh is NOT car friendly nowadays, they have private parking attendants who seem to work on a bonus system as well, I don't go in to Edinburgh in the Car now at all, I take the bike. you might be better parking up at South Gyle Station and taking the train to Waverley.........everything is within easy walking distance as well.
OILY PAWS

Postby gordonb » Mon Aug 20, 2007 11:04 am

Took some pics this morning on the way to work along the A85 / A819.

Follow the link below

http://picasaweb.google.com/obangordon/ ... aCdFjs7jic

Gordon
gordonb

Return to General Car Chat Forum