Bespoke driving videos - Commentary Driving

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby mzje » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:02 am

Just thought I'd mention this incase someone else is considering buying them..

I watched this DVD earlier in the week and really enjoyed it. It was good to see a couple of different examples of peoples commentary - I especially liked the last one! The phrase thats stuck in my head now is..

"I'm preparing to stop, hoping to go - slowing it down..until i know" -

cant recall the drivers name (as it was quite late on!) but his commentary was so flowing and jam packed with info.

I've got the advanced roadcraft video to watch next but I think I'll give the commentary DVD chance to sink in first!

Matthew
mzje

Postby vonhosen » Sat Aug 18, 2007 11:58 am

mzje wrote:Just thought I'd mention this incase someone else is considering buying them..

I watched this DVD earlier in the week and really enjoyed it. It was good to see a couple of different examples of peoples commentary - I especially liked the last one! The phrase thats stuck in my head now is..

"I'm preparing to stop, hoping to go - slowing it down..until i know" -

cant recall the drivers name (as it was quite late on!) but his commentary was so flowing and jam packed with info.

I've got the advanced roadcraft video to watch next but I think I'll give the commentary DVD chance to sink in first!

Matthew

I personally try to avoid the word "hoping" in any commentary, it creates the wrong impression.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby mzje » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:02 pm

i think it was "looking to go" actually - sorry :-)
mzje

Postby vonhosen » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:04 pm

mzje wrote:i think it was "looking to go" actually - sorry :-)

That's better :D

What you say matters.
You are trying to sell something to others in your commentary, you want it to be the right thing so that they'll buy into it.
vonhosen

Postby MGF » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:15 pm

Personally I preferred Mark's commentary on this DVD; more relaxed.

Russ Balmer, a Police driving instructor, is the one Matthew is referring to. I found this a bit too intense and often too verbose for my liking although there were some useful phrases. I think this is meant to be a demonstration commentary for instructors rather than the standard type.

Incidentally, Russ does say 'planning to stop, hoping to go'.
MGF

Postby mzje » Sat Aug 18, 2007 12:25 pm

MGF wrote:
Russ Balmer, a Police driving instructor, is the one Matthew is referring to. I found this a bit too intense and often too verbose for my liking although there were some useful phrases. I think this is meant to be a demonstration commentary for instructors rather than the standard type.

Ah - cheers MGF!

I think I enjoyed the commentary from Russ because of those phrases - they seemed to prompt more thought in my head about what I should be looking out for and commenting on.

(That or it just stuck in my head more as it was the last on the DVD ;))
mzje

Postby vonhosen » Sat Aug 18, 2007 1:23 pm

MGF wrote:Personally I preferred Mark's commentary on this DVD; more relaxed.

Cutting it to basics there tend to be two different styles of delivery.

The first emphasises how much time you have, by having a relaxed unrushed delivery & explaining each point you are trying to get across in a little more detail.

The second emphasises how much you are seeing & expecting, by having a machine gun delivery of information to sell as much as possible.

Neither is wrong, just different styles. In both you'll have to sell the observation, anticipation & planning whilst prioritising hazards, because it doesn't matter how fast you speak, you won't be able to verbalise everything you've seen & considered. The idea is tailor the commentary to the points you are trying to sell & get across & that will depend on what you want your audience to focus on. It depends who they are as to the breadth & depth you'll wish to sell.

Too much to the wrong audience & they'll just get swamped.

The best will be able to change their style of delivery & content depending on the audience's needs & what will produce the best results for all concerned.
vonhosen

Return to General Car Chat Forum