Motorbike Gift Experiences?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby stephenperry » Mon Aug 20, 2007 6:26 pm

Bit of a strange request this, but I've fancied a motorbike from time to time but aren't too keen on spending money learning on a hobby I may never take up due to the dangers out there for two-wheeled individuals

Anyway, does anyone know if there are motorbike experience days available where you can ride a proper motorbike (on a racetrack?) without having any previous experience?

All the days I've seen so far are for people who have their own bikes already and want to race.
stephenperry

Postby hardboiled » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:02 am

Easiest thing (if you've not already done it) is to find a local CBT centre and spend a day with them. It's not riding on track but it's cheap, probably £70-80 for the day and will give you a good idea of what it's all about.

If you want more serious then you can turn up and ride at Donington as part of the Ron Haslam school ( http://www.haslamraceschool.com/ and click on "On Track" ).

I believe that there is also a riding school at Mallory Park, a couple of friends have recently done their direct access there.
hardboiled

Postby stephenperry » Tue Aug 21, 2007 11:54 am

will they supply a motorbike and the protective gear for the £80 at a CBT centre?
stephenperry

Postby hardboiled » Tue Aug 21, 2007 2:30 pm

Yes usually they have everything available - although often best if you go in some strong boots of your own. Normally you spend a couple of hours doing various exercises in the car park or somewhere else off road and then some time out on the road.

If you've seen two people on small bikes and one person on a big bike tootling around your area with high vis vests then chances are they're doing a CBT course.
hardboiled

Postby stephenperry » Tue Aug 21, 2007 3:42 pm

thanks for the advice

i don't have motorbike entitlement on my licence (i chose not to have it at the time for some reason which escapes me), i take it i would need to get this added on before doing the course?
stephenperry

Postby hardboiled » Wed Aug 22, 2007 9:11 am

I tried to find out from friends who've done CBT/Direct Access recently what entitlement they needed but to no avail.

Seeing as how the bikes will only be 125's you might be able to do it on the car licence anyway but probably best just to ring your local CBT centre - they'll know what you need and give you all the details.
hardboiled

Return to General Car Chat Forum