whats next?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby jjj » Fri Aug 31, 2007 5:44 pm

eyop all, not posted for a while

after doing some advanced lessons last year my next step was to join iam which i did yesterday. i purchased the skill for life thing at £65. they are sending me a info pack. what happens then? i know it will say in the info pack but im a bit curious

thanks
jamie
jjj

Postby crr003 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:17 pm

Did you specify a group to join? Can you?
Anyway, a local group will get in touch with you.
Depending on the way they work, there will be a couple of theory classes, followed by a series of drives out with various Observers (usually a Sunday). After you've done the drives you'll be put forward for the test.
The other way is that you'll be allocated an Observer and keep him/her till he/she is happy you're ready for test (as many drives as you need - within reason, and days/times to suit you sir) (unless you don't get on and another Observer will be found).

They'll send you a copy of the Highway Code and their book - "How to be an Advanced Driver", which is interesting.

It's not difficult - just keep an open mind. Some things they tell you might seem strange, but always question why. A good Observer should be able to give you a valid reason.

Don't speed, but don't dawdle!
crr003

Postby ROG » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:35 pm

jjj wrote:eyop all, not posted for a while
after doing some advanced lessons last year my next step was to join iam which i did yesterday. i purchased the skill for life thing at £65. they are sending me a info pack. what happens then? i know it will say in the info pack but im a bit curious
thanks
jamie

FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
THAT I GET ASKED

£85 or £75 if under 26 years. Some groups do £65 for under 26s (at the groups expense).

This includes your entire training, which is in the comfort of your own vehicle with one of the volunteer advisers sitting beside you at mutually agreed dates and times. It also includes the test fee, one-year associate membership, up to date copy of the Highway Code, “Pass Your Advanced Driving Test” book and all the advice you could wish for.
RESTRICTIONS?
You must provide a suitable vehicle for training and test. Vehicles adapted for the disabled are permitted.
You must not have excessive points on your license.
You must have passed your “L” test at least 3 months ago.

HOW IT WORKS
Complete an application form and send it with your payment to the National or Local group.
They will allot you one of their unpaid volunteer advisers who will contact you to arrange your first meeting.
At the first meeting the adviser will check your driving license (both parts if photo card), MOT certificate and insurance. You will then take a short drive so that the adviser can assess how future training is to proceed.
A debrief will be given by the adviser who will also answer any questions you may have and your next meeting will be arranged.
The adviser will inform you when you are ready for the test, which is carried out by a serving or ex Police traffic officer who will be the holder of the Police Advanced driving certificate.

HOW LONG DOES TRAINING LAST?
The “average” driver is usually ready to take the test within 6 months, having had about 6 runs out with their adviser. However, some may take a year whereas others may take only a few weeks, it all depends on the attitude, experience, time and effort each individual driver has or wishes to employ.

HOW LONG IS THE TEST?
The test lasts for about one and a half hours. It will include all available types of roads and conditions. The test also includes manoeuvres such as reversing around a corner, reversing into a parking bay, parallel parking and turning around in the road to face the opposite direction.

WHATS THE EXAMINER LIKE?
Definitely not like the DSA examiner you had for your first test. The examiners will do their very best to put you at ease because they want you to show them what you have achieved during your training. THEY ARE HUMAN.

Some IAM groups do the Observer/Advisor to Associate allocations differently.
Last edited by ROG on Sun Sep 02, 2007 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby jjj » Fri Aug 31, 2007 7:50 pm

thanks for the replys guys

i already have the IAM book and i also have roadcraft and a dvd i think its bespoke driver training?

i did 10 hours introductory lessons last year with a local ADI were i learnt limit points, position etc just the basics tho.

my standards have slipped a little, i have one concern, steering. i can drive at '';10-2'' buy cant feed the wheel i usually one hand over the other, rotational? is this a problem as its one of my main concern
jjj

Postby crr003 » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:31 pm

jjj wrote:i already have the IAM book and i also have roadcraft and a dvd i think its bespoke driver training?

That Kendrick chap is pretty good! :wink: I'd wait and see what your Observer says about straightlining and offsiding. Although legal, some groups shy away.

i did 10 hours introductory lessons last year with a local ADI were i learnt limit points, position etc just the basics tho.

TEN hours? You should be ready for the test then!

my standards have slipped a little, i have one concern, steering. i can drive at '';10-2'' buy cant feed the wheel i usually one hand over the other, rotational? is this a problem as its one of my main concern

I prefer 9-3 myself. Pull-push is still the steering method of choice, although anything safe and accurate should be OK. Most people can't get on with pull-push because they don't do it right. Your Observer will be able to explain it. Just make sure you use all the steering wheel - don't shuffle.
crr003

Postby ROG » Fri Aug 31, 2007 8:45 pm

jjj wrote: i have one concern, steering. i can drive at '';10-2'' buy cant feed the wheel i usually one hand over the other, rotational? is this a problem as its one of my main concern

If you stretch out your arms to another person have you noticed that they are level. This is the natural thing to do. This is applied to the steering wheel.
Take a vertical line through the centre of the wheel from the 12 o-clock to the 6 o-clock position. This marks the boundaries for each hand.
Try this at low speed to start with on an empty road. Do a turn in the road to face the opposite direction by the use of forward and reverse gears - and again - and again...... Start with both hands at the 12 o-clock position and PULL down in the direction you wish to turn - at the same time, SLIDE down the other hand but not gripping the wheel, so both hands remain level across the wheel. When they meet at the 6 o-clock position change grip to the other hand and PUSH up the wheel, keeping the hands level, until they meet at the 12 o-clock position.
You can change the steering direction at any time during this by changing the grip from one hand to the other and then either pulling or pushing, (depends where your hands are when the the changeover takes place) in the opposite direction.
When mastered, you will be able to do this ALL the time and very quickly, although at very slow speeds you may find that rotational (crossing the arms) steering is required for tight spots.
I am not the most articulate writer so please excuse if this does not make perfect sense - I am sure some-one will put this better than me
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby martine » Sat Sep 01, 2007 9:05 pm

ROG wrote:COST
£85 or £75 if under 26 years.

Just to clarify, as jjj said it's now £65 for under 26s (at the groups expense).
Last edited by martine on Mon Sep 10, 2007 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby waremark » Sun Sep 09, 2007 12:01 am

And to clarify another aspect - on receipt of paperwork from IAM House, it is up to the candidate to choose and contact their local group, I think.

I agree with another poster that 10 hours could well have got you up to IAM test standard already, but that's not the end of the advanced driving road. In the short term set out to achieve an extremely good test pass. Hope you enjoy it.
waremark

Postby jjj » Sun Sep 09, 2007 9:02 am

thanks for the replys

yes i did have to contact my local group and i have my first meeting in a hour.

it would be nice to be almost ready for the test, then i would like to be an observer and try get some young people driving to an advanced level,
jjj

Return to General Car Chat Forum