Good Idea.... (or Not)

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby MikeG » Sun Jan 22, 2006 12:54 am

Just been looking at a new car and the sales-person while going through their sales pitch eventually got round to the versatility, fold down seats etc. Upon opening the rear hatch they showed me the two level floor where you can store things above and below.'Where's the spare?' I ask, does'nt have one, comes with a compressor and a can of sealant! Not sure if this is an improvement over the bike wheel (spacesaver) that came with my car or not.
MikeG

Postby Nigel » Sun Jan 22, 2006 1:51 am

I stopped to help an Audi A2 with this technology, he'd run something over that had made a hole too large for the sealent to seal.
Nigel

Postby kevdyas » Sun Jan 22, 2006 9:20 pm

Tell the salesman you went a spare wheel kit thrown in! They usually comply!

What car was it? Sounds like mine!

Kevin.
DSA Approved Driving Instructor (Car)
Pass Plus & IAM Registered Instructor | RoSPA RoADAR Gold | DIAmond Advanced Motorist
A2OM BTEC in Driving Science affiliated ADI
kevdyas

Postby MikeG » Sun Jan 22, 2006 10:13 pm

Image New Civic ........Not getting one....I'm quite happy with what I've got. Nice car though.
MikeG

Postby AdamW » Mon Jan 23, 2006 10:55 am

Two things,

The first is I think these new cars without a spare wheel are silly.
There are plenty of occasions where a compressor and a can of sealant are not good enough to make a car 'roadworthy'.
I am sure you'll be glad at spending a lot more time on the side of the raod with a flat waiting for the AA/RAC of some description to come.

Secondly, I think MikeG has far too mouch money. :wink: :lol:
Despite their large numbers ants flow freely because of their understanding and purpose. As a driver your job is to move in, within, and out of the flow of traffic causing the minimum disruption and upset to others. Everyone then benefits, including you.
AdamW

Postby Roadcraft » Mon Jan 23, 2006 12:16 pm

Mike....

if you (or others) are looking for a vehicle...

Dont forget to check out...

www.taillights.net

Superb place to buy used vehicles.
Roadcraft

Postby PeterE » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:22 pm

In my view it only makes sense to do without a spare wheel if you have both run-flat tyres and tyre pressure sensors (as on the latest BMWs)
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby JamesH » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:37 pm

...or if your spare wheel is so large and heavy that average joe can't lift it on his own ;-)
JamesH

Postby Rick » Tue Jan 24, 2006 8:50 pm

In 24 years of driving i've never needed one... maybe i shouldn't have said that ;) but having now said it, at least i do have one.
Rick

Postby LEF » Wed Feb 08, 2006 12:11 am

I would never be without a spare tyre - in 5 years of driving i've changed at least that many tyres if not more :roll:
LEF

Postby AquilaEagle » Sun Feb 12, 2006 10:45 am

Oooh i like the new Civic - not convinced about the front lights, but i like everything else. awaiting the 2007 CTR to see what that is like - it might do for the gf then!
AquilaEagle

Postby Nigel » Tue Feb 14, 2006 10:08 am

LEF wrote:I would never be without a spare tyre - in 5 years of driving i've changed at least that many tyres if not more :roll:

Is it a woman thing ?

:D :D :D :D :D
Nigel

Postby kwakba » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:26 pm

I carry a can of tyre sealent stuff when out on the bike. Never used it yet (touches wood) but I carry it as a get home. WOuldn't have a bike tyre repaired unlike car tyres so if I have to use it I wll replace the tyre ASAP, mind you at £170 for a rear I would rather this dosen't happen too often.
kwakba

Return to General Car Chat Forum