How many accidents?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby AdamW » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:17 am

Just a quick poll and probably a waste of time one, but how many people have had accidents?

Were they before or after their 'advanced' training?

Were they your fault?

:?
Despite their large numbers ants flow freely because of their understanding and purpose. As a driver your job is to move in, within, and out of the flow of traffic causing the minimum disruption and upset to others. Everyone then benefits, including you.
AdamW

Postby Darren » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:19 am

2, both pre IAM when I was 18 and 19 respectively. Now 27.
Darren

Postby JamesAllport » Mon Jan 23, 2006 11:59 am

Two, both after advanced training.

One was entirely my fault. Driving while much too tired, mis-read corner, badly handled understeer, bent (but driveable) car.

The second was as a pedal cyclist and wasn't my fault at all - but hurt much more than the one that was!

James
Only two things matter: attitude & entry speeds.
JamesAllport

Postby JConnors » Mon Jan 23, 2006 1:24 pm

Car = 1, major, prior to taking Advanced Tests. Stupid inexperience mistake that could have cost me my life. Still cannot believe I walked away!

Motorcycle = 1, minor, prior to taking Advanced Tests. Was punted off my machine when a boy racer decided to exit stage left on a r/bout even though he was in the right turn lane only. Luckily there was another biker (not with me) who witnessed, followed and stopped the boy racer - who was driving his dear old nan's car. She didn't known he had it!
Jamie
Chief Car Observer and Web Administrator
Milton Keynes Advanced Motorists (IAM)
www.mkadvancedmotorists.org.uk
JConnors

Postby MiniClubmanEstate » Mon Jan 23, 2006 5:51 pm

1 - 100% my fault.

I was driving down a hill towards a bend at about 35Mph in a Mini slowing down. Whilst I was almost finished braking my front left wheel locked and I instinctively released the brake despite the fact that there was no posibility of a skid on the road surface I was on, I lost my steering totaly once I'd released the brake pedal and went up an embankment and my car landed back on the road on its side. It turns out that my car had a siezed wheel bearing which is why the left hand wheel locked and remained locked after releasing the brake. If I'd simply pressed the brake pedal hard I could have locked both front wheels and slid to a stop and saved the car. :( The Mini in question is being restored and going to be used as a driving school car, quite ironic I think :D .

At that time I'd been driving for two years, had Pass Plus and I'm now on an IAM course which I was always going to do.
Andrew: PCV, IAM Car
Smoky - Pronounced as Smokey, a unique little Mini.
MiniClubmanEstate

Postby Lynne » Mon Jan 23, 2006 7:50 pm

Luckily no, but lets not tempt fate ok? :?
ADI
RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction

Thankyou for being courteous to horses and riders :)
Lynne

Postby kevdyas » Mon Jan 23, 2006 9:49 pm

Depends what you mean by accidents?

I have had two very minor bumps both pre-IAM, one I hit my friends gatepost, it brought the door trim off and the second I hit a concrete post and it brough the same door trim off! Total cost £5!

Apart from that I haven't had any (touch wood!).

Kevin
DSA Approved Driving Instructor (Car)
Pass Plus & IAM Registered Instructor | RoSPA RoADAR Gold | DIAmond Advanced Motorist
A2OM BTEC in Driving Science affiliated ADI
kevdyas

Postby TripleS » Thu Jan 26, 2006 3:24 pm

About 3 or 4 minor mishaps in 1960-64, two of which amounted to me being hit in the tail while waiting at a traffic halt.

Hit a sheep at fairly high speed in the dark on a moorland road in December 1969.

Rear ended somebody at very low speed round about 1984, due to my foot slipping off brake pedal. 'Twas winter conditions and I had a bit of ice stuck under my shoe - still my fault, but...!

...and that, my friends, brings us up to date.

Take care all, it can happen at any time!
Dave.
TripleS

Postby LEF » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:28 pm

2 both my fault - one pre-IAM one after :oops:

I don't want to go into details but both were fairly minor car never left the road at all, totally still driveable in both cases
LEF

Postby Nigel » Thu Feb 09, 2006 10:59 pm

Fell of motorbikes on various occasions, we used to call it learning back then !

Had two own fault bumps, both years and years ago, pre IAM, both caused by travelling too close/too fast.

I've also had a company car thumped a few times in customers factories, but as I wasn't even in the car I don't normally count them.

I've been hit head on by a vehicle travelling on the wrong side of the road twice, one years ago, one only three years ago, so after advanced traing.
Nigel

Postby madmoggy » Sat Feb 11, 2006 11:08 pm

1 car - aged 19, 3 weeks after passing my test. Partly my fault (group of 10 ran across the road for a bus, 9 stepped back, one kept running) as I locked the brakes, and my arms, skidded in a straight line and hit the pedestrian. Police tests reckon I was 15 mph over the speed limit. Being young and inexperienced, I didnt know what to do, I'd like to think I wouldnt make the same mistakes again
1 bike - accelerating up a hill, front tyre burst due to a corner piece from a packing crate going through the tyre. I thought I came off relatively unscathed until I a month later when I found I had cracked my pelvis :( Not sure if thats really anyones fault, or just bad luck
I still ride bikes, but make sure I always wear my leathers at all times, as they definitely saved me that day.
Both were pre advanced tests, and a fairly long time ago
I do hope I havent just tweaked the nose of fate :x
madmoggy

Postby kwakba » Tue Feb 14, 2006 3:30 pm

Fingers crossed, I haven't had an accident in 8 years and none of the one's I had were my fault so been lucky. Or something.

Had a car fire last year which the traffic answers people know all about, in fact I have posted a few times on here now yet not announced my slght displeasure at Elephant insurance! When the TA forum is back up I will post a link to the fire thread!

Oh, dropped the bike a few times though...
kwakba

Postby AdamW » Tue Feb 14, 2006 4:30 pm

kwakba wrote:Fingers crossed, I haven't had an accident in 8 years and none of the one's I had were my fault so been lucky. Or something.

Had a car fire last year which the traffic answers people know all about, in fact I have posted a few times on here now yet not announced my slght displeasure at Elephant insurance! When the TA forum is back up I will post a link to the fire thread!

Oh, dropped the bike a few times though...

That was your Golf if I remember rightly?
Despite their large numbers ants flow freely because of their understanding and purpose. As a driver your job is to move in, within, and out of the flow of traffic causing the minimum disruption and upset to others. Everyone then benefits, including you.
AdamW

Postby kwakba » Tue Feb 14, 2006 11:29 pm

That was your Golf if I remember rightly?

Yup :cry:
kwakba

Postby MikeG » Wed Feb 15, 2006 12:53 am

See you're adding to Global Warming there Kwak. :lol:
At the end of the day even when you have tried to plan for every eventuality the unexpected can happen.
MikeG

Return to General Car Chat Forum