National speed limit lowered to 50 Mph

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Standard Dave » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:23 pm

Well if some people get their way it will be.

Lincolnshire Echo

'SLASH SPEED LIMIT TO 50MPH' BID
08:00 - 31 December 2007

Every 60mph speed limit in Lincolnshire could be cut to 50mph if councillors agree to back campaigners.

Neighbouring East Midlands councils are pressing for the Department for Transport to lower the national limit on all single carriageways.

And Lincolnshire councillors will consider whether to lend their support to the campaign at a meeting next week.

The aim is to improve road safety and reduce the number of fatal accidents on rural routes.

The Lincolnshire Road Safety Partnership said it would welcome a reduction to 50mph across the county's entire road network, excluding dual carriageways.

County council leader Martin Hill today said that he would be prepared to listen to residents' views before deciding whether to join the campaign.

Highways staff are currently preparing to begin a four-year review of all A and B roads - a network covering 1,137 miles.

All other authorities have been told to do the same.

The review will use new Department of Transport guidance on speed limits.

It is expected that a large number of roads with current 60mph limits would have them reduced to 50mph as a result of the new formula.

National speed limits do not have to be regularly signed along the carriageway but all others do. That means a mass reduction to 50mph will cost authorities millions.

Councillor Hill said he was personally unconvinced about the need to reduce speed limits.

"We are obviously interested in what people have to say but, personally, I think that 60mph is a reasonable limit for some of Lincolnshire's roads, especially the rural C-class roads," he said.
Standard Dave

Postby martine » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:37 pm

Oh no...this is very worrying...hopefully the councilors will fear losing their seats enough to reject this. :roll:
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby ScoobyChris » Mon Dec 31, 2007 4:55 pm

It doesn't sound like Councillor Hill was too convinced by the proposal. Maybe it's opportunities like these that IAM/RoSPA/AD-UK should be jumping on to promote Advanced Driving as a more cost effective solution to the problem?

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby martine » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:02 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:Maybe it's opportunities like these that IAM/RoSPA/AD-UK should be jumping on to promote Advanced Driving as a more cost effective solution to the problem?
Chris

Absolooootelly!

(I'll give IAM HQ a nudge along with Darren from here!)
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby TripleS » Mon Dec 31, 2007 5:25 pm

Sheer lunacy!

I feel it will do nothing useful in terms of better safety, and it may ultimately be found to have done more harm.

My percentage excesses in NSL terms will simply take a leap upwards. :cool:

<wanders off sadly, to the tune of "I'm glad I'm not young anymore!">

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Red Herring » Mon Dec 31, 2007 6:05 pm

Standard Dave wrote:The Lincolnshire Road Safety Partnership said it would welcome a reduction to 50mph across the county's entire road network, excluding dual carriageways.

County council leader Martin Hill today said that he would be prepared to listen to residents' views before deciding whether to join the campaign.

I'm not surprised the partnership welcomes the proposal, just imagine how many more cameras they could put up.

I hadn't realised the residents of Lincolnshire were all road safety experts, I wonder if he will listen to their views if they all tell him to get lost?
Red Herring

Postby waremark » Mon Dec 31, 2007 7:54 pm

What about getting a group together to campaign for an increase to 70?

The voters of Lincolnshire need to make their views clear.
waremark

Postby TripleS » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:35 pm

waremark wrote:What about getting a group together to campaign for an increase to 70?

Indeed.

Rick - are you on this case?

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Roger » Mon Dec 31, 2007 8:57 pm

Not my area, but do consider an e-petition...
Roger

Postby nodigitsever » Sun Jan 06, 2008 1:24 am

not suprised really as the driving standards in Lincs are of late abysmal due to the high number of Immigrants who cant drive for toffees!

yet we are all to suffer! :twisted:
nodigitsever

Postby PeterE » Mon Jan 07, 2008 6:41 pm

Rumours of such a move have also appeared on Pistonheads:

http://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topi ... 0&t=478202
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby Rick » Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:24 am

TripleS wrote:
waremark wrote:What about getting a group together to campaign for an increase to 70?

Indeed.

Rick - are you on this case?

Best wishes all,
Dave.

Just seen this Dave, will look into this! Numpties!
Rick

Postby zippyRN » Sun Feb 24, 2008 9:51 pm

nodigitsever wrote:not suprised really as the driving standards in Lincs are of late abysmal due to the high number of Immigrants who cant drive for toffees!

yet we are all to suffer! :twisted:

the yokels are bad enough any way the banjos start at Bardney...
zippyRN

Postby jmaccyd » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:08 pm

As someone who cycles on rural, National Speed limit roads, I have become conserned about not just the standard of driving, but the exess speed that is generally involved on this type of road. Of course these roads are not just shared by cyclists, but by horse riders, pedestrains and slow moving farm traffic.

I am not in favour of a blanket 'one-size-fits-all' speed limit like that proposed, and I am not familiar with the type of roads mentioned in this article, but am in favour of lower speed limits on rural roads. With the standard of driver ability/education in this country far to often 60MPH is taken as the speed to drive at regardless of the view ahead, or the type of road conditions that are prevailling at the time
jmaccyd

Postby PeteG » Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:16 pm

jmaccyd wrote:As someone who cycles on rural, National Speed limit roads, I have become conserned about not just the standard of driving, but the exess speed that is generally involved on this type of road. Of course these roads are not just shared by cyclists, but by horse riders, pedestrains and slow moving farm traffic.

I am not in favour of a blanket 'one-size-fits-all' speed limit like that proposed, and I am not familiar with the type of roads mentioned in this article, but am in favour of lower speed limits on rural roads. With the standard of driver ability/education in this country far to often 60MPH is taken as the speed to drive at regardless of the view ahead, or the type of road conditions that are prevailling at the time

So how far do you lower the limit? Wouldn't you rather educate all drivers in the art of stopping in the clear distance, rather than limiting speed, which could still be far too high?
"There's always another day, and I would rather miss a few than get one badly wrong." - TripleS, on overtaking.
PeteG

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum