BBC1 - 9pm 14th Jan - Motorway Cops: A Traffic Cops Special

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby mzje » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:25 pm

Maybe of interest to forum members? :-)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-perl/whatson/prog_parse.cgi?FILENAME=20080114/20080114_2100_4223_14954_60

Mon 14 Jan, 21:00 - 22:00 60 mins

Documentary following the police patrolling UK motorways. The number of cars and lorries using our roads grows every year but the number of cops on the roads has been cut. Some strong language. [S]
Matthew
mzje

Postby TripleS » Mon Jan 14, 2008 7:56 pm

mzje wrote:Maybe of interest to forum members? :-)

http://www.bbc.co.uk/cgi-perl/whatson/prog_parse.cgi?FILENAME=20080114/20080114_2100_4223_14954_60

Mon 14 Jan, 21:00 - 22:00 60 mins

Documentary following the police patrolling UK motorways. The number of cars and lorries using our roads grows every year but the number of cops on the roads has been cut. Some strong language. [S]

Hmm, featuring my friend Roadcraft then, I expect. No doubt he can call spades shovels at the appropriate times. :lol:

BTW, where is he these days? I hope he's OK but I'm seeing no sign of him on the forums I infest.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby OILY PAWS » Mon Jan 14, 2008 8:47 pm

TripleS wrote:Hmm, featuring my friend Roadcraft then, I expect. No doubt he can call spades shovels at the appropriate times. :lol:

BTW, where is he these days? I hope he's OK but I'm seeing no sign of him on the forums I infest.

Best wishes all,
Dave.

I was wondering that myself, havent exchanged Pm's for a while
OILY PAWS

Postby Roadcraft » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:19 pm

Good Evening Gents..

Somebody dropped me the nod, that my ears might be burning and to drop in for a chat...

Glad you are all ok and the forum is too...

Best regards,

:wink:
Roadcraft

Postby OILY PAWS » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:31 pm

Ahh Mr. Craft...............we've been expecting you :wink:
OILY PAWS

Postby ROG » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:32 pm

Roadcraft wrote:Good Evening Gents..

Somebody dropped me the nod, that my ears might be burning and to drop in for a chat...

Best regards,

Did you have a nice 4 month holiday :wink: :lol:
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Roadcraft » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:38 pm

ROG wrote:
Roadcraft wrote:Good Evening Gents..

Best regards,

Did you have a nice 4 month holiday :wink: :lol:

From here and the other places :?:

I've retired...from these.. Just come back every now and then to look at the old place, the coffee machine, the saucy secretary, a quick read... just to confirm to myself that forum retirement is the place for me...

Nice to be remembered though.. I hope whatever cops you have on here nowadays (if there have been any new ones on here after me) are looking after you well...
Roadcraft

Postby ROG » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:44 pm

Nice to be remembered though.. I hope whatever cops you have on here nowadays (if there have been any new ones on here after me) are looking after you well...

Well......... they're ok.......... I suppose :roll: :wink: :lol: _ I suppose second best will have to do :wink:
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby OILY PAWS » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:55 pm

Roadcraft wrote:I've retired...from these.. Just come back every now and then to look at the old place, the coffee machine, the saucy secretary, a quick read... just to confirm to myself that forum retirement is the place for me...

did you have to save 12% of your posts as contributions toward your Forum Pension :wink:
OILY PAWS

Postby Roadcraft » Mon Jan 14, 2008 9:57 pm

OILY PAWS wrote:
Roadcraft wrote:I've retired...from these.. Just come back every now and then to look at the old place, the coffee machine, the saucy secretary, a quick read... just to confirm to myself that forum retirement is the place for me...

did you have to save 12% of your posts as contributions toward your Forum Pension :wink:

Now Now.. I only pay 11% towards my pension.
Roadcraft

Postby Roadcraft » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:01 pm

ROG wrote:

Well......... they're ok.......... I suppose :roll: :wink: :lol: _ I suppose second best will have to do :wink:

:lol:

Thanks the the kind words, even in jest - they are appreciated....

Work is ok at the moment... Lots of bad guys in vehicle being dealt with robustly.. just what the tax-payer ordered....

We've had 4 pursuits in 7 shifts (3 caught, 1 got away).., so that's quite a high number. Success rate is good for my unit.. and all is fine and dandy at the moment.
Roadcraft

Postby martine » Mon Jan 14, 2008 10:22 pm

Roadcraft wrote:We've had 4 pursuits in 7 shifts (3 caught, 1 got away).., so that's quite a high number. Success rate is good for my unit.. and all is fine and dandy at the moment.

So what's the longest (in time) pursuit you've ever been involved with? I imagine most are over pretty quickly but occasionally I read of pursuits that cross several counties which I imagine must be very draining mentally for the pursuers.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Roadcraft » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:07 pm

martine wrote:
Roadcraft wrote:We've had 4 pursuits in 7 shifts (3 caught, 1 got away).., so that's quite a high number. Success rate is good for my unit.. and all is fine and dandy at the moment.

So what's the longest (in time) pursuit you've ever been involved with? I imagine most are over pretty quickly but occasionally I read of pursuits that cross several counties which I imagine must be very draining mentally for the pursuers.

Personally...the longest, which I've been behind the subject vehicle was just over 14 minutes....

It was a Ford Ka, driven by a disqualified driver. I believe he received 9 months imprisonment for his actions.

It occurred miles away from other traffic officers, so I was on my own, with the others playing catch up. No chance for early TPAC.. (containment)
Roadcraft

Postby Roadcraft » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:09 pm

Having just watched the TV program, I thought it was quite good all in all....

I think the little s**t in the Honda Civic gives you an idea of the kind of restraint that is sometimes required by police officers...

What I think is worthy of note, is that the particular individual is one of the so called 'decent' people. The tax payers, the non-criminals etc...and the attitude from him stinks.

I have dealt with murders, rapist, burglars and muggers who you'd want to spend more time with than that young man.

Personally... I blame his upbringing.

On a tactical note, the officer should have arrested and handcuffed the male whilst he was still in the driver's seat. Much more control of him there... Bad mistake letting him get out..and then starting a paltry struggle in the V created by the open door, right next to a live lane...
Roadcraft

Postby jasonh » Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:27 pm

That stop was a bit hair-raising!

The young guy had a MASSIVE attitude problem and clearly wasn't going to listen to anything he was told, but I think the angry wrong-way-down-the-M5 man was my personal favourite.
IAM April 2008
jasonh

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum