how we should all be Driving?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby nodigitsever » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:34 am

without the fact it is a fast response call!, I mean the obs and Hazard Perception

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bVtQ4NN5_-Q

[/url][/code]
nodigitsever

Postby SLine » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:04 am

That's commentary I could only dream of!
SLine

Postby AlistairL » Wed Feb 20, 2008 10:21 am

If you buy Chris' DVD he shows you how to work up to a quality commentary in stages.

A.
AlistairL, from Scotland.
AlistairL

Postby vonhosen » Wed Feb 20, 2008 11:08 am

SLine wrote:That's commentary I could only dream of!

Build it in stages & prioritise within it. If you combine that with looking in the right places at the right times (which hopefully you already do) then you'll probably find you are far more capable than you think.

It might look a little like a dark art, but most people with the right focus are capable of it.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby jasonh » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:21 pm

Great!
jasonh

Postby Standard Dave » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:26 pm

I know he was in town but he doesn't half like his yelp siren.

The vans manoeuvre at about 2 minutes where it overtakes a car infront as the emergency vehicle approaches is a classic case of no mirrors no awareness of surrounding traffic known to many in emergency driving as a 'classic'
Standard Dave

Postby Angus » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:45 pm

Two things struck me beyond the quality of the commentary.

The first was that this was a training/demonstration drive rather than a proper blue light run.

The second was how poor the awareness and observation of some other road users was
Angus

Postby Standard Dave » Wed Feb 20, 2008 12:54 pm

It would be very rare almost unheard of to commentate on a "real" blue light run there are more important things to be doing. Surveillance or pursuit commentry is somewhat different to this type of observational commentry.

Commentary is a training aid to get students looking where they should be and so the instructors know what the student has and hasn't seen.

The awareness of some drivers is very poor as demonstrated by things like the 'classic' or braking right infront of the emergency vehicle blocking the path at traffic lights or pedestrian refuges.

However some manoeuvres show an understanding and good awareness like the drivers who left gaps at junctions or allowed him back into the flow of traffic at hazards.
Standard Dave

Postby Horse » Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:31 pm

Standard Dave wrote:It would be very rare almost unheard of to commentate on a "real" blue light run there are more important things to be doing. Surveillance or pursuit commentry is somewhat different to this type of observational commentry.

There is a Met video '999 - Final Drive' which, hopefully, someone will put on Youtube one day.

It's 25 minutes, split between a simulated 999 call and a pursuit, supposedly a trainee's final drive.

There's one 'cut' in the pursuit (it's all unmarked cars BTW) when a member of the public briefly gets in between them at a roundabout.

Driver is a Hendon Sgt, and the quality of the commentry is superb.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Gromit37 » Wed Feb 20, 2008 4:34 pm

There was a previous thread about this DVD, and I can only repeat that the DVD is excellent. It covers many areas other than commentary, but the commentary section alone makes it worth the asking price. The 999 run is just the icing on the cake. It makes the official 'Roadcraft' DVD look quite tame. Like the 'Bespoke' DVDs by Mark Kendrick and the Cadence commentary DVD, this is highly recommended.
Gromit37

Postby AlistairL » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:21 pm

Gromit37 wrote:There was a previous thread about this DVD, and I can only repeat that the DVD is excellent. It covers many areas other than commentary, but the commentary section alone makes it worth the asking price. The 999 run is just the icing on the cake. It makes the official 'Roadcraft' DVD look quite tame. Like the 'Bespoke' DVDs by Mark Kendrick and the Cadence commentary DVD, this is highly recommended.
I've got all of these apart from the Cadence DVD. All have merits, and the 'Roadcraft' DVD is ok from the perspective of seeing what happens alongside the book.

The bespoke DVD is a good example of three different styles, from "normal" advanced driver to Police instructor level. Mark Kendrick also chips in with his usual style - not sure if "more white more sh**e" would be appropriate for my upcoming IAM Car test :P . I think I'll use slightly different wording ;).

Regards

A.
AlistairL

Postby rodericksdad » Thu Feb 21, 2008 12:25 am

I ordered a copy today,and as i was not sure about something with regards to the ordering process, rang the tel.no. i got a return call from the gentleman above in question and was gobsmacked at how helpfull he was,and even told if any questions or problems that i am not sure about on the dvd to give him a ring and he would be only too pleased to help,cannot fault him and look forward to the dvd,if only all things in life were as good as this and as helpfull,thanks mr Chris Gilbert it was a pleasure,and thanks to those who posted the link to the video as i wouldnt have been aware,
Best regards,Clive.
rodericksdad

Postby Nicky » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:05 pm

hey anything is possible! :wink:
Nicky

Postby hardboiled » Fri Feb 29, 2008 5:31 pm

I received my copy of Chris's DVD yesterday and I've not had chance to watch it all yet but it does look like a quality product from what I'd seen so far.
hardboiled

Postby AlistairL » Fri Feb 29, 2008 6:32 pm

hardboiled wrote:I received my copy of Chris's DVD yesterday and I've not had chance to watch it all yet but it does look like a quality product from what I'd seen so far.
Enjoy watching it - it has a lot to take in - excellent value.
AlistairL

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum