BMW gearbox.

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby GS » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:04 pm

Hello all.
I took out a driver in a new BMW M6 the other day. It had an 'automatic' gearbox but not a conventional torque converter type box. I have to say that I was so disappointed with box it was quite a surprise. It was quite jerky especially when moving off from rest. I assume that it is the same gearbox in the M5? Does anyone else have any experience with this box? The company I did it for only use M6s and I would like to know more about it before the next course.
GS
GS

Postby stefan einz » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:34 pm

The gearbox is a manual gearbox with a normal clutch but an automated change mechanism. It is the same as the M5.

I used to drive an M3 CSL, and this had a similar box which I learnt to hate. I test drove an M5 (having owned the previous E39 V8 version for 4 years, which was wonderful), and could not live with the gearbox. In every other sense the car was fabulous, so it was a major disappointment.

I quite agree with your assessment. It is jerky, poor on the uptake from rest, and inconsistent in its manners.

It is possible for the driver to improve the way the 'box operates. From rest, apply a gentle amount of gas to get the clutch plates engaged. On the move, lift off the gas slightly as you change gear (with the paddles).

On no account use the Automatic function - this is just, well, pants!

I recently tried a similar e-gear system, this time on a Lamborghini. It was vastly better - upchanges were extremely fast and smooth and on downchanges the system matched revs pretty well.

I think it is safe to say that BMW's 'box of this type is the worst of its type, and will shortly be replaced by the dual clutch system, which will first be seen in the M3 Cabriolet (per the press).

Kind regards

Steve
stefan einz

Postby GS » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:44 pm

Hi Steve

Thanks for this. I'm just pleased that it wasn't just me!

Do you suggest that the paddles are used to improve things?

I now have to find a way of explaining this to the company which has just bought two!

Thanks again.
GS
GS

Postby stefan einz » Sat Feb 23, 2008 2:52 pm

Yes, using the paddles is the only way to go. The Auto function, as you'll have experienced, changes gears very poorly. Because you, the driver, don't know when it is going to change, it is not really possible to lift off the gas to help it change more smoothly, so it is usually a case of "nodding dogs".

The system also has, as you'll have seen, a button to change the shift speed. I tended to find in my CSL that the best option was one in the middle. Too slow, and the whole thing just got ponderous. Too fast and it feels like the diff is being ripped out of its mountings!

With the middle setting, the trick for upchanges is to pull the paddle, and at the same time give a little lift of the gas, and then as the clutch re-engages, press back on the gas. It does not take long to master the timing, and the shift quality will improve a lot (over the auto mode). However, sadly, I always found that occasionally the box would do something inconsistent, which is why I grew to hate it. It was never as good as a good driver with a conventional manual box (whereas the Lambo was bloody close, if not better because the changes were also so fast).

For downchanges, the software is usually pretty good - no need to change throttle position, it should match revs fairly well.

By the way, did you run in 400 bhp "fast" mode or 500 bhp "warp drive" mode?

Kind regards

Steve
stefan einz

Postby GS » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:07 pm

Thanks for this.

I did try both the 400 and 500bhp modes. As it was a bit of a basic course I was running, it didn't make too much difference. I liked the engine, but hated the gearbox. As a confirmed 'pull pusher' I'm not a great fan of the paddles and if, as you described, you have to start using hands and feet to change well, why not just have three pedals and a gear stick? I hope that you are right about the gearbox being replaced. I think it spoilt the whole £80,000 car. I first experienced manual gearboxes which self changed in HGVs some years ago. Since then, every generation has improved noticeably and I am starting to become a bit of a fan of them now. Lets hope that the car versions do the same.
GS
GS

Postby waremark » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:35 pm

stefan einz wrote:I think it is safe to say that BMW's 'box of this type is the worst of its type, and will shortly be replaced by the dual clutch system, which will first be seen in the M3 Cabriolet (per the press).

My DCT ('Double Clutch Transmission' as BMW are calling it) M3 Coupe is due for May production. Hoping that DCT will be as good as the excellent VW group DSG systems which combine the smoothness of a decent auto with instant response to a paddle change. This weeks Autocar includes a piece by Chris Harris on the new Nissan GTR, which is the first high performance car other than the Bugatti to have a dual clutch gearbox. He thinks the whole car is amazing, with the gearbox being a particular highlight.

BTW, having driven an SMG M3 quite a bit, and an M5 briefly, my views of SMG and how to deal with it are very similar to Steve's. But it is worth mentioning for balance that many SMG owners love the gearbox (possibly drivers who would not use a manual smoothly??).
waremark

Postby waremark » Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:43 pm

GS wrote:As a confirmed 'pull pusher' I'm not a great fan of the paddles.

BMW have chosen to have the paddles rotate with the steering wheel. Other brands with similar boxes have the paddles mounted in a fixed position on the column (I think the Ferraris do it that way).

In the BMW you can change gear with the gear stick as an alternative to the paddles. I always used to use the gear stick when changing from first to second on a roundabout. For most other gear changes the paddles were somewhere near my hands.
waremark

Postby Nicky » Thu Feb 28, 2008 5:03 pm

I love beamers their hot!!
Nicky

Return to General Car Chat Forum