Sat Nav, Maps and Speed (Safety) Cameras

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby JConnors » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:17 pm

Just want to see what people's thoughts are on ....

a) Sat Nav products that informs you of an oncoming Safety Camera location...
b) Printed maps that show camera locations... and
c) Local newspapers publishing the camera locations.

Are they useful to Advanced Drivers or just people who cannot afford to collect points?
Jamie
Chief Car Observer and Web Administrator
Milton Keynes Advanced Motorists (IAM)
www.mkadvancedmotorists.org.uk
JConnors

Postby Nigel » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:30 pm

Your going to find me very much in favour of these things.

I am an advanced driver ( although I don't like the term, sounds snobby to me).

I use a Tom Tom Go sat nav system, with camera overlay, and I also have no objections to anyone using a dedicaed camera detector of any kind, I only don't suppoet jammers as they are illegal, and do have potential for being dangerous ( high frequency rf output) if messed around with by those that don't understand.

I don't support the idea of speed cameras, and I definately don't trust the authorites with regard to their location, statistics etc etc.

Everything seems designed to catch the driver out, speed limit changes are often put in the most stupid places, all requirements for repeater signs were dropped etc etc.

Despite my so caled advanced status, I am open to make mistakes, miss a sign etc, and I don't need to make many mistakes in my 40 - 50,000 miles a year to loose my job , be unable to pay my mortgage etc.
Nigel

Postby JConnors » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:41 pm

I too use a TomTom Mobile device and a Speed Angel to protect myself, as I am only human and can be prone to make the odd mistake and not see all the ridiculously placed signs.

The Speed Angel is mostly used to let me know the blackspots most likely to catch out motor bikers (as I am a keen one) due to junctions on blind bends, hazardous locations, etc. Using anything else make the ride too complicated as I don't have the space to display everything and I have enough to look out for when on the bike, i.e. everyone else on the road trying to punt me off!

The TomTom is my main tool when travelling to new locations, both as a guide to getting to my final destination, without adding unnecessary miles to my car, and to allow me to see the camera locations on the map prior to me getting there - this allows me to question the camera location prior to getting there and finding out why the camera was put there (some are in suitable locations due to high accident/fatalities rates).
Jamie
Chief Car Observer and Web Administrator
Milton Keynes Advanced Motorists (IAM)
www.mkadvancedmotorists.org.uk
JConnors

Postby Nigel » Sun Feb 05, 2006 2:55 pm

I am very suprised by your response, its not normal response for someone with police driver in his signature ( and you may wish to review that with your rubber heel squad wandering around the internet looking for good honest helpful people to pick on :roll: ).

I've had a snooper radar detector ( soon to be illegal), useless little device, full of false alarms, only really good for telling you if a gatso is switched on.

Road angel, this was quite good, I liked the blackspot info ( never seen a camera near a location yet), but they are expensive.

Sat nav system with camera overlay, this seems the best of all worlds, costs less than a road angel, does what a road angel does ( nearly), and helps me with directions.
Nigel

Postby kevdyas » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:26 pm

I use a TomTom PDA version but its getting on a little now but managed to find a website where you can drop the speed cameras into 'Points of Interest' (along with McDonalds and Halfords stores! :) ) I personally don't have a problem with speed cameras, I have set the 'marker' on TomTom to show the speed limit rather than the type of camera - just in case!

Kev.
DSA Approved Driving Instructor (Car)
Pass Plus & IAM Registered Instructor | RoSPA RoADAR Gold | DIAmond Advanced Motorist
A2OM BTEC in Driving Science affiliated ADI
kevdyas

Postby Darren » Sun Feb 05, 2006 3:36 pm

I have a Dell Axim X50v (600MHz), running Tom Tom 3 with PocketGPS Point of Interest Camera overlay's

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/uksafetycameras.php

Must say, I find the whole thing very useful.

1). In the dark it forwarns of tight bends/corner's where road signs are lacking.
2). It shouts at me (if I turn it on) when a camera is approaching. Which...if they were positioned in the right place, would also be an indicator to a potential hazard/accident blackspot.
3). It tells me just how rediculously innacurate my speedo is.
Darren

Postby PeterE » Sun Feb 05, 2006 4:02 pm

Totally in favour of all three. If speed cameras are to be effective in reducing speeds (as opposed to prosecuting people), they need to be highly visible and their locations widely publicised.

And, even if you believe you are adhering to the speed limit, can you honestly say you don't make an extra glance at the speedo when approaching a Gatso?
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby vonhosen » Sun Feb 05, 2006 8:41 pm

I have a Tom Tom but don't use camera warnings.

I don't have any problems with warning devices (GPS devices) based on permanent camera locations, printed maps or local news warnings of camera locations issued by SCPs.

I don't however agree with laser detector/jammers & believe these will be outlawed in the upcoming road safety bill.

I personally think that laser detector/jammers should be outlawed because of the extra detterent value unknown location laser enforcement supplies. This needs to be out there (like unmarked Police cars) otherwise these devices do nothing to encourage compliance in places that fixed cameras aren't placed. The possibility of unmarked cars doing enforcement & laser enforcement at unknown sites encourages compliance at all times.

You should always feel uneasy that your are breaking the law (never comfortable) & you should always feel detection of that is but a moment away.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby TripleS » Mon Feb 06, 2006 11:24 pm

vonhosen wrote:You should always feel uneasy that your are breaking the law (never comfortable) & you should always feel detection of that is but a moment away.

Oh I do. :(

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Return to General Car Chat Forum