Car Wars

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Roadcraft » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:58 am

crr003 wrote:
Safety1st wrote:Driving, and advanced driving in particular...shouldn't be a set of rules cast in stone...it should be flexible for the circumstances..IMHO..

Which is what the System gives you?

are you asking me....? or telling me?
Roadcraft

Postby crr003 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 11:32 am

Safety1st wrote:
crr003 wrote:
Safety1st wrote:Driving, and advanced driving in particular...shouldn't be a set of rules cast in stone...it should be flexible for the circumstances..IMHO..

Asking! That's what the "?" means.

My point being that where there should not be rules cast in stone ("always pull-push, never BGOL etc"), I'm thinking there is an underlying system which deals with the overall drive.
crr003

Postby TripleS » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:04 pm

crr003 wrote:
Safety1st wrote:
crr003 wrote:

My point being that where there should not be rules cast in stone ("always pull-push, never BGOL etc"), I'm thinking there is an underlying system which deals with the overall drive.

...a system that enables the individual driver to achieve a high quality result in his overall driving performance, avoiding the - you must always do this and you must never do that - mentality, particularly in relation to minor details that do not really affect safety.

S1 was quite reassuring in his references to his own (and seemingly his colleagues') quite flexible attitude with regard to handling of the steering wheel. I appreciated that - especially at this difficult time! :(

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby JamesH » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:10 pm

It's true for most skills that you have to be able to understand and complete the activity very rigidly and to the letter before you gain sufficient expertise to start cutting corners - you know when and where you can do so without loss of quality.
JamesH

Postby JamesH » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:20 pm

Oh, and if you want to pass most exams you have to do things the way the examiner wants to see them done.

In my area (medicine) examiners at all levels want to see you do things that you would never rarely do in everyday practice but want to see that you're capable of "doing things properly". Part of that is just the way things have always been, but it's also checking that you actually have the skills in the first place and that your day to day 'sloppyness' isn't actually inability.

In most cases it's worth jumping through the hoops and to get the qualifications.
JamesH

Postby crr003 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 12:22 pm

TripleS wrote:...a system that enables the individual driver to achieve a high quality result in his overall driving performance, avoiding the - you must always do this and you must never do that - mentality, particularly in relation to minor details that do not really affect safety.

S1 was quite reassuring in his references to his own (and seemingly his colleagues') quite flexible attitude with regard to handling of the steering wheel. I appreciated that - especially at this difficult time! :(

Dave - you'll get over it! :D
A little story. After passing IAM I thought I was the dog's danglies of driving. So I thought I'd do RoADA. Oh dear. Several things to change/improve/practice. After a few drives I was passed to another observer for a check drive before the test. After the drive his main criticisms were - I had both hands off the steering wheel while the engine was running(during shut down) and he couldn't read the numbers on the gear knob during some of my gear changes.

Picky or what? It's just the way some people are. (I'm not complaining - I quite like excessive detail :oops: )
crr003

Postby Roadcraft » Thu Feb 23, 2006 1:47 pm

crr003 wrote:
Safety1st wrote:
crr003 wrote:

We'll have to disagree on the finer points of grammar then....;) ie: 'which' and ''what' in the same sentence.....remove the sentence being a question and instead it becomes a statement...

Besides that....I agree with you crr003 about the flexiblity issues....

I've had quite a bit of contact with HATOs recently crr003...some interesting stuff....one way or another...
Roadcraft

Postby crr003 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 4:03 pm

Safety1st wrote:We'll have to disagree on the finer points of grammar then....;) ie: 'which' and ''what' in the same sentence.....remove the sentence being a question and instead it becomes a statement...

Well, I wus an enguneer, so spelling and grammar is lost on me!
I've had quite a bit of contact with HATOs recently crr003...some interesting stuff....one way or another...

I'm sure! But have you done any yet? :wink:
crr003

Postby Roadcraft » Thu Feb 23, 2006 5:33 pm

'done any' meaning knocked any off for offences. ?

No not yet...and i'm not in a hurry to do so....
Roadcraft

Postby crr003 » Thu Feb 23, 2006 6:21 pm

Safety1st wrote:'done any' meaning knocked any off for offences. ?

Yes - in that sense :shock:
crr003

Postby TripleS » Thu Feb 23, 2006 10:58 pm

Safety1st wrote:'done any' meaning knocked any off for offences. ?

Favouritism!! :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum