IAM 50th anniversary event RAF Colerne 1st July

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby martine » Sat Feb 25, 2006 12:11 am

Not all signed and sealed yet but the local IAM groups (Bath, Bristol, Cirencester) are combining efforts to organise a 'Driving Challenge' day at RAF Colerne on 1st July. Open to the public of course and free.

We will hopefully get a range of vehicles for people to have a go at with various off-road challenges (off-road as in 'on private land' not driving up mountains). We're also hoping to get a local driving school take some 15/16 year olds for mini-lessons around the airfield. Other things being planned but it's far from finalised.

Watch this space.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby DaveE » Thu Mar 02, 2006 11:37 pm

Looking forward to it; the Bath 40th event was good entertainment.
DaveE

Postby martine » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:09 am

DaveE wrote:Looking forward to it; the Bath 40th event was good entertainment.

Before my time...what was it?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby DaveE » Fri Mar 03, 2006 9:46 pm

martine wrote:
DaveE wrote:Looking forward to it; the Bath 40th event was good entertainment.

Before my time...what was it?

Varipus driving challenges, Fire Brigade demo cutting up a car, various stands, local dealers etc. My highlight was getting to direct our esteemed President blindfolded around the course - we won!

Most people involved in organising at the time have gone apart from Andy. Not sure if it predates Helen.
DaveE

Postby martine » Fri Mar 03, 2006 10:42 pm

Sounds like this year's will be like that but better!

When I have some more details, I'll post them for people further afield than you.
martine

Postby martine » Sun Apr 16, 2006 10:23 pm

More details of Colerne July 1st:

Confirmed attendees:
Wiltshire Fire service including a Fire Engine (to drive!)
Articulated Lorries
8 - wheeler
Go Karts
Manoeouvering competition
Highways Agency Patrol Vehicle & Snow blower
Radio Control cars (serious ones!)
Safety Cam Partnership
Drive a car @ 30 with speedo covered
Live band
Mercedes Trucks
GWR 'Black Thunders' (local radio station)
Classic Car Club
Trade Stands
Food!
Historic Cars/Tractors
IAM Assessed drives

Hoping to get:
JCB diggers
Driving school for under 16 tuition on site
+ others to be confirmed

The day will run from 10am - 4pm, open to all (members & 'the public') and will be free entry.

Should be a great family day out with the chance to drive some interesting and very different vehicles.

RAF Colerne is between Bath and Chippenham (Wiltshire).
martine

Postby Stephen » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:21 pm

Hi Martine,
Have you asked for your local police traffic or road safety department to attend If not it would be nice to see someone from a department like this to show there face. Or have you asked and have you been turned down based on either cost or operational commitment or both.
Stephen
Stephen

Postby martine » Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:29 pm

Stephen wrote:Hi Martine,
Have you asked for your local police traffic or road safety department to attend If not it would be nice to see someone from a department like this to show there face. Or have you asked and have you been turned down based on either cost or operational commitment or both.
Stephen

Stephen: yes the Wiltshire Safety Camera Partnership are already coming, we are hoping to get either police bike or car (or both) patrols as well.

Good idea to ask local coucil Road Safety Officer...I will pursue that.

Why do you ask?
martine

Postby Nigel » Mon Apr 17, 2006 12:42 pm

I have to admit, I'd like to come to that Martin, I'll see what my family is up to nearer the time.
Nigel

Postby Nigel » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:18 pm

Posted it here for you as well Martin :

http://www.traffic-answers.com/forum/in ... pic=3703.0
Nigel

Postby Nigel » Mon Apr 17, 2006 3:25 pm

Nigel

Postby martine » Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:12 pm

Nigel wrote:I have to admit, I'd like to come to that Martin, I'll see what my family is up to nearer the time.

Excellent...it'll be good to meet up and the day should be a hoot (if all our plans come to fruition). Spread the word @ Worcester IAM!
martine

Postby LEF » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:43 pm

It's a bit far for me but sounds like it's going to be a great day - i want one in the NW :D
LEF

Postby martine » Mon Apr 17, 2006 8:50 pm

LEF wrote:It's a bit far for me but sounds like it's going to be a great day - i want one in the NW :D

Contact your local IAM group and ask...all the IAM groups are being encouraged to organise something to celebrate 50th anniversary. If they've nothing planned suggest they join together like we did with other local groups - it makes the organisation easier and we found turns it into a bigger event attracting more exhibitors.
martine

Postby martine » Sun Jun 11, 2006 8:29 pm

Well, it's only a few weeks away now and the event is more or less as described above with a fantastic selection of vehicles to drive and ALL FREE!

Colerne is surrounded by some beautiful roads but beware if approaching from the North (from the A420) as it's really quite demanding and probably not suitable for anything bigger than a car.

The arrow on the map below shows the entrance we are using...
http://www.streetmap.co.uk/newmap.srf?x=380500&y=171500&z=3&sv=380500,171500&st=4&ar=Y&mapp=newmap.srf&searchp=newsearch.srf&dn=723&ax=379945&ay=172075

Tell your family, friends and workmates about this - it should be a great way to spend a few hours, for adults, kids and adults who are still kids.

Remember to bring your driving licence as it will be checked for some of the vehicles.

IAM Driving Challenge: Saturday 1st July, 10am - 4pm, RAF Colerne, Wiltshire (between A420 and A4)
martine

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum