Ford introduces "limiting" key for worried parents

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby jont » Tue Oct 07, 2008 9:19 am

http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/06/ford ... d-parents/

I picked this article up elsewhere. Some interesting comments about if parents don't trust their kids enough to need to give them a special key, why trust them with the car at all?

Thoughts? I can guess what TripleS will be saying about intrusive technology...

Jon
jont

Postby TripleS » Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:40 am

jont wrote:http://www.autoblog.com/2008/10/06/ford-introduces-limiting-mykey-for-worried-parents/

I picked this article up elsewhere. Some interesting comments about if parents don't trust their kids enough to need to give them a special key, why trust them with the car at all?

Thoughts? I can guess what TripleS will be saying about intrusive technology...

Jon

I'm getting notorious for my Ned Ludd stance. :lol:

OK, if Ford wish to provide this facility, and it doesn't add too much to the price of the car, and families have a completely free choice as to how they use it, if indeed they use it at all, I'm not too concerned.

My objection to technology is not so much about options such as driver aids being made available. What I strongly object to is the idea of human choices being over-ruled by bits of machinery or electronics etc.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby fungus » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:00 pm

I agree with Tripple S. Have the technology, but allow drivers the option to overide it.

This may be a good idea, but will it make teenagers any safer? Maybe when they drive a car with this technology, but I have my doubts.

What happens when the teenager buys their own car without these aids? They will still do what teenagers do.

My car has ABS, but no traction controll or ESP etc. It would be nice to be able to disable the ABS and let pupils experience the difference between a car with ABS, and one without, because in most cases their first car will be an older model without any of these aids.

Maybe it would be agood idea if we taught driving in cars with 1960s technology, so that they experience a less insulated driving environment.

Nigel ADI
IAMtrainee observer
fungus

Postby jont » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:40 pm

fungus wrote:My car has ABS, but no traction controll or ESP etc. It would be nice to be able to disable the ABS and let pupils experience the difference between a car with ABS, and one without, because in most cases their first car will be an older model without any of these aids.

Maybe it would be agood idea if we taught driving in cars with 1960s technology, so that they experience a less insulated driving environment.
Possibly, although they may then get used to a false safety blanket effect when back in their modern car. And it doesn't need to be 1960s technology. I've got a 2000 year car with no ABS, no traction control, manual windows, unservo'd brakes and trust me, you feel pretty uninsulated when driving it... (although thinking about it, a lot of it probably is 1960s technology :lol:)

But where do you draw the line? Get them to emergency stop without a seatbelt on so they can feel the effect of headbutting the steering wheel?

I don't think it matters what technology is in place - teenagers will still be teenagers. Much better to provide suitable education/parenting than hope technology will do the job for us and sue the manufacturer when it doesn't.
jont

Postby jbsportstech » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:42 pm

I don't see problem with it but if the car will go 80mph there is still plenty of room for nasty/fatal accidents at that speed so other than keep noise down from the stereo I can't it will make alot fo diffference.

Most of are compaines 3 thousand vans are limit to 67mph and tracker (Including speeding alerts) and this according to fleet has reduce are motorway/dual carriageway accidents by 40% since 2006 introduction and of course you don't get many calls claiming are vans are going 90-100mph on the motorway. The other positive is are fuel bill is reduced by about 20% with the limited vehicles.

This would be a goiod idea I think for 17-21 year olds. I caught snipped of a program on telly a while showing a irish learner and that said you can't go above 45mph after a period of some time afetr your test. This seems dangerous to me.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby martine » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:48 pm

fungus wrote:I agree with Tripple S. Have the technology, but allow drivers the option to overide it... My car has ABS, but no traction controll or ESP etc. It would be nice to be able to disable the ABS and let pupils experience the difference between a car with ABS, and one without, because in most cases their first car will be an older model without any of these aids.

Actually I don't think people should be allowed to overide some things. You have a special case and I'd agree it would be sensible. Then again do you really want to be teaching skid control on the road? If not then plenty of skid schools supply their own cars so it's not a problem.

What worries me (a lot of things worry me :wink: ) are the idiots like a minority on the Focus ST forum I frequent, who think ESP is for nancies and they have the ability on the road not to need it...ever. Given the chance they would disable ABS as well. :roll:
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Dave_434 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:41 pm

jbsportstech wrote:I caught snipped of a program on telly a while showing a irish learner and that said you can't go above 45mph after a period of some time afetr your test.

It's Northern Ireland. After passing the driving test the new driver must display an R plate for one year. During this first year they may not go over 45mph at any time.
Dave_434

Postby TripleS » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:55 pm

fungus wrote:I agree with Tripple S. Have the technology, but allow drivers the option to overide it.

This may be a good idea, but will it make teenagers any safer? Maybe when they drive a car with this technology, but I have my doubts.

What happens when the teenager buys their own car without these aids? They will still do what teenagers do.

My car has ABS, but no traction controll or ESP etc. It would be nice to be able to disable the ABS and let pupils experience the difference between a car with ABS, and one without, because in most cases their first car will be an older model without any of these aids.

Nigel ADI
IAMtrainee observer

Never mind about featherbedding the new learners with 1960s machinery. Most of my lessons were in a 1957 Austin A35.

We could still get around perfectly adequately in that sort of thing - except I suppose there would be howls of protest from my friend from I know not Ware. :lol:

Just imagine it: drum brakes, cross ply tyres, less than 40 bhp, no fancy electronics interfering with our choice of how we do things; and it wouldn't cost £1065 to renew a headlamp unit. :shock:

Yep, I could live with that - but I'd still prefer the 3.8 Jaguar. :)

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby jbsportstech » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:57 pm

martine wrote:
fungus wrote:I agree with Tripple S. Have the technology, but allow drivers the option to overide it... My car has ABS, but no traction controll or ESP etc. It would be nice to be able to disable the ABS and let pupils experience the difference between a car with ABS, and one without, because in most cases their first car will be an older model without any of these aids.

Actually I don't think people should be allowed to overide some things. You have a special case and I'd agree it would be sensible. Then again do you really want to be teaching skid control on the road? If not then plenty of skid schools supply their own cars so it's not a problem.

What worries me (a lot of things worry me :wink: ) are the idiots like a minority on the Focus ST forum I frequent, who think ESP is for nancies and they have the ability on the road not to need it...ever. Given the chance they would disable ABS as well. :roll:

Is that theFocus st owners?

I know what you mean you get people taking there fuses out because the feel it will inhibit their amazinf ability.....

I went on that one once and it was all I have CR285 well I have the CR300 well I have spent £14k on a full CR330 conversion whether any of them can drive a front wheel drive car with 300+ bhp safely is another matter. Personally when I wouldnt take ST225 over 265bhp-285 as without a special diff your asking to much of a front wheel drive car.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby ScoobyChris » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:58 pm

Dave_434 wrote:It's Northern Ireland. After passing the driving test the new driver must display an R plate for one year. During this first year they may not go over 45mph at any time.

Having driven over there a few times, the system seems to work well except on the 3 (?) motorways where imho they're pretty vulnerable.

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby TripleS » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:04 pm

jont wrote:I don't think it matters what technology is in place - teenagers will still be teenagers. Much better to provide suitable education/parenting than hope technology will do the job for us and sue the manufacturer when it doesn't.

Agreed.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby ScoobyChris » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:05 pm

jbsportstech wrote: Personally when I wouldnt take ST225 over 265bhp-285 as without a special diff your asking to much of a front wheel drive car.

Surely that's down to the driver, not the diff? :lol:

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby jbsportstech » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:10 pm

The standard FST diff is is not suited to 300bhp in my opinion.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby TripleS » Tue Oct 07, 2008 2:10 pm

martine wrote:

I don't think Nigel was referring to skid control in the full sense of the term. He seemed to be advocating letting people experience the difference in braking between cars with/without ABS functioning. Find a quiet spot on a minor road and that should be OK for cautious experiments.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby waremark » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:55 pm

TripleS wrote:We could still get around perfectly adequately in that sort of thing - except I suppose there would be howls of protest from my friend from I know not Ware. :lol:

Quite! - and meanwhile please feel free to wash up without a dishwasher, to cut the grass without a lawn mower, to wash your hair without shampoo, oh and did I mention to travel around without the benefit of that new-fangled device the motor?
waremark

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum