WHY does a fleet trainer have to be an ADI ?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby ROG » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:30 am

This was an interesting comment and it got me thinking.........

MGF wrote:It appears to me that some ADIs believe that no teaching of driving, whilst in a vehicle with the 'learner', should be undertaken by a non-registered person regardless of whether or not money changes hands. A bit like practicing surgery.

WHY does a fleet trainer have to be an ADI ?

Can anyone explain please..............
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby daz6215 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 9:53 am

mininum level of measured coaching/ teaching competence. Or any Tom Dick or Harrry would be telling your loved one's how to kill themselve's.
daz6215

Postby jbsportstech » Wed Nov 12, 2008 10:44 am

It may seem bonkers because the average adi's driving is only to dsa standard if that. Its not just the driving qualification they have proved they have a ability to teach and have sound knowledge of the highway code, but they are also crb checked and proved to have no record of sexual offences, fraud etc so it does make sense to me having an adi qualification.

Personally I think people who have other advanced driving qualifications such as rospa diploma should be able to get a licence much like a doorman so they they are aloud to teach full licence holders upwards.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby ScoobyChris » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:28 pm

jbsportstech wrote:Personally I think people who have other advanced driving qualifications such as rospa diploma should be able to get a licence much like a doorman so they they are aloud to teach full licence holders upwards.

I like that idea a lot although I think the crunch point will come at the time they try and decide what advanced qualifications are acceptable and whether that influences what you can teach. Maybe there is scope for the DSA to create an AADI qualification :lol:

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby daz6215 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:50 pm

or are incapable of passing it or unwilling to do it because they feel they perhaps have nothing else to learn themselve's?
daz6215

Postby crr003 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 1:58 pm

StressedDave wrote:Mere possession of a test pass is enough to enable you to become an observer..

There's a bit more to it than that.
Groups should run Observer courses.
crr003

Postby jont » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:02 pm

crr003 wrote:
StressedDave wrote:Mere possession of a test pass is enough to enable you to become an observer..

There's a bit more to it than that.
Groups should run Observer courses.

Ours do, but only for new observers and there's no retesting/training requirement other than maintaining your gold/silver pass every 3 years. I've had some interesting discussions about whether this is sufficient to provide an acceptable standard of observer, but it's traded off against people being volunteers and some not willing to be reassessed regularly.
jont

Postby jbsportstech » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:05 pm

Essentially I think it was created by the goverment to protect people from teachers who where not up to standard as we know most licence holders driving is far from good. Its goverment approval after alot of hoops that show you have some ability and your not a dangerous convicted criminal. It does stop any 'tom 'dick and 'harry' teaching driving instruction

I am sure at the time the fact that there are people with sound knowledge in advanced driving circles didn't come in the equation.

Do the IAM CRB check as rospa haven't asked to crb me?
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby daz6215 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 2:21 pm

Why do i need a pcv licence to drive a bus when i have c+e ? i know i can drive the bus, but in order to do so legally i need to follow the correct channels and obtain the correct qualification. I'm sure looking around at many jobs you may think i could do that! If you are really passionate and have the drive 'pardon the pun' then i'm sure nothing would get in your way.
daz6215

Postby zadocbrown » Wed Nov 12, 2008 3:26 pm

I think what it boils down to is this: the number of people in the situation of having to qualify as ADIs, despite having no intention of teaching learners is relatively small. Too small, in the authorities' view, to make it worthwhile creating a seperate channel.

Many of the basic skills for part 3 come in useful teaching at higher levels. It's not entirely irrelevant.

I think there is also the view (which I share) that up to date knowledge of what and how learners are being taught is desirable for the well rounded driving coach.
zadocbrown

Postby michael769 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:00 pm

daz6215 wrote:Why do i need a pcv licence to drive a bus when i have c+e ? i know i can drive the bus, but in order to do so legally i need to follow the correct channels and obtain the correct qualification. I'm sure looking around at many jobs you may think i could do that! If you are really passionate and have the drive 'pardon the pun' then i'm sure nothing would get in your way.

Oddly you do not need to have a PCV licence to drive a bus more than 25 years old, a car license is enough, as long as you do not carry more than eight people and it is not for hire and reward. Who says this has to make any sense :?

I think the reason is that the vast majority of drivers of such vehicles are doing so professionally carrying passengers. You can make the argument that a person who carries as many as 50 fee paying passengers should be subject to additional training over and above that required to carry 30+ tonnes of potatoes. You might think you can drive a bus but would you (without additional training) think to check if elderly and disabled passengers are moving about inside the bus and would you be able to correctly adjust you driving so that you avoid throwing them to the round when you pull up at traffic lights?
michael769

Postby daz6215 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:16 pm

michael769 wrote:
daz6215 wrote:Why do i need a pcv licence to drive a bus when i have c+e ? i know i can drive the bus, but in order to do so legally i need to follow the correct channels and obtain the correct qualification. I'm sure looking around at many jobs you may think i could do that! If you are really passionate and have the drive 'pardon the pun' then i'm sure nothing would get in your way.

You might think you can drive a bus but would you (without additional training) think to check if elderly and disabled passengers are moving about inside the bus and would you be able to correctly adjust you driving so that you avoid throwing them to the round when you pull up at traffic lights?

I was actually using that as an analogy, thats correct i might THINK i can drive the bus but have i taken everything else involved into account? the same goes with people who THINK that they can easily step into my shoes , have they taken a thought to everything else involved? i.e Additional training also!!!
daz6215

Postby jont » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:32 pm

michael769 wrote:You can make the argument that a person who carries as many as 50 fee paying passengers should be subject to additional training over and above that required to carry 30+ tonnes of potatoes. You might think you can drive a bus but would you (without additional training) think to check if elderly and disabled passengers are moving about inside the bus and would you be able to correctly adjust you driving so that you avoid throwing them to the round when you pull up at traffic lights?

You might think the operating companies would be required set timetables to allow you to take all that into consideration ;) :roll: Does the test for PCV require consideration for that sort of thing?
jont

Postby Advanced Roadcraft » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:44 pm

There is NO driver training/instruction ("L" drivers, advanced, fleet,, off road, go-karts, race etc) that I know of that cannot legally be performed by a non-ADI.

But only ADIs, it appears, can charge for it. Don't think that there's been a test case but it would be interesting!

So the reason for the ADI requirement is obviously merely special pleading to ensure that their incomes are protected. Nothing to do with maintaining standards at all.

Best, B
Best, B
Car: Saab 9.3 Coupe
Bikes: Honda Deauville; Suzuki Bugman 400
Advanced Roadcraft

Postby daz6215 » Wed Nov 12, 2008 4:56 pm

Advanced Roadcraft wrote:There is NO driver training/instruction ("L" drivers, advanced, fleet,, off road, go-karts, race etc) that I know of that cannot legally be performed by a non-ADI.

But only ADIs, it appears, can charge for it. Don't think that there's been a test case but it would be interesting!

So the reason for the ADI requirement is obviously merely special pleading to ensure that their incomes are protected. Nothing to do with maintaining standards at all.

Best, B

That's correct but it does give companies a professional trainer with professional standards not an amateur!
daz6215

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum