Police Drivers Cleared of Death by Dangerous !!

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby jbsportstech » Tue Nov 25, 2008 10:56 am

Abit laughable but they have been stripped of their advanced driving status:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lanc ... 746749.stm

You will also note that since the accident the police instructor has been convicted in court of a speeding offence as well. It begs the question are some police driving instructors that good?
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby ScoobyChris » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:23 pm

jbsportstech wrote:It begs the question are some police driving instructors that good?

I guess it depends how you measure "goodness".....

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby Porker » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:30 pm

If anything it begs the question "Why was the trainer actually convicted of anything at all?".

Presumably the exercise was authorised, and it seems rough justice that the guy in the target car is now apparently responsible for the driving of the pursuing vehicle.

It also seems strange that the police driver who was actually involved in the fatal collision received only a two year ban and a modest fine. I would have thought a member of the public convicted for a similar offence would have been likely to receive a custodial sentence.

Those thoughts have to be weighed against the fact that we only have the "facts" presented in the write-up to base our "verdict" on.

regards
P.
Porker

Postby jbsportstech » Tue Nov 25, 2008 1:52 pm

I think he got off lightly as well although they have failed to convict him of death by dangerous so a civilian would probably got with due care or careless and inconsiderate so would of got a ban a suspended sentence..... You can't use the excuse he is a police advanced diver as its been removed now and his driving fell below the stanard.

As we have found casuing death by dangerous is does not caryy much of sentence in this country kill to innoccent children and you only spend 3.5 years behind bars doesnt really send the msg I would hope.

As for the instructor I think he has been punished as he led the excercise and choose the road and set the pace which based on the accident was not correct for the prevailing conditions.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby MGF » Tue Nov 25, 2008 5:08 pm

I believe the report is incorrect. Schofield was cleared of CDBDD and convicted of careless driving. Obviously Massingham was cleared of CDBDD as well but did not face a charge of careless driving as an alternative so he could not be convicted of it.

http://www.ipcc.gov.uk/news/pr071008_lancashire.htm

May I humbly suggest this thread be merged with the exisitng one.
MGF

Postby Horse » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:25 pm

Porker wrote:If anything it begs the question "Why was the trainer actually convicted of anything at all?".

Presumably the exercise was authorised, and it seems rough justice that the guy in the target car is now apparently responsible for the driving of the pursuing vehicle.

It also seems strange that the police driver who was actually involved in the fatal collision received only a two year ban and a modest fine. I would have thought a member of the public convicted for a similar offence would have been likely to receive a custodial sentence.

Those thoughts have to be weighed against the fact that we only have the "facts" presented in the write-up to base our "verdict" on.

regards
P.

I don't know the exact legal 'justification', but the BBC link explains:

Earlier the court heard from Martin Greaves, a retired sergeant in Lancashire Police traffic division, who worked as an accident investigator.

He said training exercises had to be "realistic" and put officers under pressure.

He said the instructor decided the speeds at which the exercises were carried out, and that such exercises were exempt from speed limits under the Road Traffic Act.

Simon Russell-Flint QC, defending Pc Schofield, said: "If the instructor drives off at 80mph (128.7km/h), the student's going to have to follow? He needs to be able to keep pace. He's got to go faster to catch him up?"

"Very probably yes," Mr Greaves replied.

The retired sergeant was asked if it would be safe for a competent driver to drive more than 100mph (160.9km/h) on the road where the crash happened.

He replied: "It's feasible. I wouldn't. If someone said go down that road at 100mph, I would say 'No'. I think 100mph would be too fast. That's my opinion."
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Horse » Wed Nov 26, 2008 8:36 pm

And,
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/lanc ... 644794.stm
A police driving trainer who was on an exercise in which a colleague crashed into a pensioner's car, killing him, has told a court he felt responsible

FWIW, I've been in the situation where a trainee who was following me crashed, and I spent a lot of time afterwards wondering what I could have done differently . . .

The answer was 'not a lot'; we'd been riding through a 60 limit at 60 (car drivers who followed us and saw the crash were kind enough to stop and tell the police who attended that we'd been riding sensibly) and then through a 30 at 30.

The rider told me he 'mentally went to sleep'.

Perhaps we should have been going faster to keep his concentration up ;)

And it's not nice to look in your mirror and see a person flying through the air, I can't imagine what it felt like at the scene of that crash . . .
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby jbsportstech » Wed Nov 26, 2008 9:18 pm

I think some police advanced drivers need to go back tothe old principle 'IS IT SAFE' as for any advanced driving thats what all decision should be based upon. Derek Van Petergem, John Miles and Chris Gilbert all stuck to the principle anyone can drive fast its knowing when to drive slow makes a good advanced driver. Some of them seem to fall back on we are exempt from this and that 100mph was to fast for the previaling conditions for the trainee as he crashed killing someone. Should be sacked as he doesnt have the skills to be a police advanced driver anymore. All I hear is excuses not an admission that he got it wrong and someone lost their life because of it.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby vonhosen » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:33 pm

jbsportstech wrote:I think some police advanced drivers need to go back tothe old principle 'IS IT SAFE' as for any advanced driving thats what all decision should be based upon. Derek Van Petergem, John Miles and Chris Gilbert all stuck to the principle anyone can drive fast its knowing when to drive slow makes a good advanced driver. Some of them seem to fall back on we are exempt from this and that 100mph was to fast for the previaling conditions for the trainee as he crashed killing someone. Should be sacked as he doesnt have the skills to be a police advanced driver anymore. All I hear is excuses not an admission that he got it wrong and someone lost their life because of it.

'The old principle' ?
Some have a rose tinted view of Police driver training of old.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby Porker » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:59 pm

jbsportstech wrote:I think some police advanced drivers need to go back tothe old principle 'IS IT SAFE' as for any advanced driving thats what all decision should be based upon. Derek Van Petergem, John Miles and Chris Gilbert all stuck to the principle anyone can drive fast its knowing when to drive slow makes a good advanced driver. Some of them seem to fall back on we are exempt from this and that 100mph was to fast for the previaling conditions for the trainee as he crashed killing someone. Should be sacked as he doesnt have the skills to be a police advanced driver anymore. All I hear is excuses not an admission that he got it wrong and someone lost their life because of it.

Where did you hear any excuses?

May I also, gently, suggest that you restrain your criticism of other drivers until you have a little more training and experience yourself? None of us is exempt from making mistakes and you may come to find that the more you experience higher end driving the more you'll come to realise this.

regards
P.
Porker

Postby waremark » Thu Nov 27, 2008 12:05 am

jbsportstech wrote:Should be sacked as he doesnt have the skills to be a police advanced driver anymore.

How does that stop him being a policeman, which he will have been before he was ever an advanced driver?

Personally, I think the outcome for the trainer is very severe, even if it is (probably) appropriate.
waremark

Postby 7db » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:09 am

Porker wrote:None of us is exempt from making mistakes and you may come to find that the more you experience higher end driving the more you'll come to realise this

Amen
7db

Postby zadocbrown » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:48 pm

I think the present obsession with PC1 bashing is a little unhealthy.

The real lesson here is this: If we routinely put ourselves in situations where a small error could be fatal, 'superior' driving skill may not be enough to save us. This applies equally to everyone on the road.
zadocbrown

Postby MGF » Thu Nov 27, 2008 6:42 pm

If this was a small error then why the disciplinary?

Naseem Malik, IPCC Commissioner for the North West.

"It was clear from our independent investigation that the driving of these two officers fell well below the required standard," she said.

"It is essential that lessons are learned and action is taken to ensure the standards expected of police drivers are maintained".

Seems to me that if it was a small and inevitable error then any attempt to avoid it in the future is futile.
MGF

Postby jbsportstech » Thu Nov 27, 2008 7:50 pm

Porker wrote:

Where did you hear any excuses?

May I also, gently, suggest that you restrain your criticism of other

drivers until you have a little more training and experience yourself? None of us is exempt from making mistakes and you may come to find that the more you experience higher end driving the more you'll come to realise this.

regards
P.

Think I am entitled to my opinion regardless what level my own driving is up to.

Its not pc1 bashing just the way its handled in comparison to civilian drivers and the light way the police and judges treat them. PC Milton case got my blood boiling and its yet to cool down.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum