IAM AGM

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby martine » Sat Nov 29, 2008 11:29 pm

For anyone interested the IAM AGM on Thursday unsurprisingly passed the proposed increase in annual membership fee £18 to £28 (£30 if not direct debit).

Any increase in 'Skill for Life' has yet to be determined but rumour is £129 car, £139 motorbike.

The AGM was the best attended in 52 years and had all of 24 non-staff including 2 from Bristol car group and 1 from Bristol motorbike group. :roll:

If anyone is interested in a detailed report please pm me.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby ROG » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:05 am

Apart from the price increase, was there anything in the AGM that directly affects the role of observers :?:
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby martine » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:11 am

ROG wrote:Apart from the price increase, was there anything in the AGM that directly affects the role of observers :?:

Nope - they are still considering a membership fee reduction for Observers - no discussion on roles.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby ROG » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:46 am

martine wrote:
ROG wrote:Apart from the price increase, was there anything in the AGM that directly affects the role of observers :?:

Nope - they are still considering a membership fee reduction for Observers - no discussion on roles.

Ta for that.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby jbsportstech » Sun Nov 30, 2008 11:44 am

Skill for life I was told by an IAM bod at the british motorshow was going up to 130-150 as they are losing m0ney.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby rodericksdad » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:27 pm

jbsportstech wrote:Skill for life I was told by an IAM bod at the british motorshow was going up to 130-150 as they are losing m0ney.

If,thats the case they can expect to lose a lot of potentials because they are slowly pricing themselves out of reach of the average working man who will just not be able to afford to do the skill for life,dont know what the answer is but its a pity.
Best regards,Clive.
rodericksdad

Postby jont » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:32 pm

jbsportstech wrote:Skill for life I was told by an IAM bod at the british motorshow was going up to 130-150 as they are losing m0ney.

There must be a lot down the back of the sofa then!

Seriously, how can it possibly be costing them that much? The training is all provided by volunteers, there's maybe £10 for a book, and then how much does the examiner get? I'd be surprised if it's £50. Am I missing something?

Maybe they're only interested in fleecing fleet customers who need it for H&S reasons? But don't they pay a higher rate for commercial instruction anyway?
jont

Postby GS » Sun Nov 30, 2008 5:33 pm

What is included in the Skills for Life package?
GS
GS

Postby ROG » Sun Nov 30, 2008 6:30 pm

GS wrote:What is included in the Skills for Life package?

"Skill for Life" is the IAMs most popular membership option, giving you - in one payment of £99.00 - everything you need to pass your Advanced Driving Test and become a full Member of the IAM. The package includes:

The IAM book "Advanced Driving - The Essential Guide"
"Advanced Driving" the IAMs tri-annual Members magazine
An initial assessment (carried out by your local IAM Group)
All Test preparation work (undertaken by your local IAM Group)
Entry into the Advanced Driving Test
IAM Associate status, with an automatic upgrade to full Membership of the IAM (upon passing the Advanced Driving Test within 12 months).
Access to the "Members" area of this website (with details of Members' Events, Membership Services and Special Offers).
Preparation for the Advanced Test is conducted by volunteers in your local IAM Group. On completing your purchase online of "Skill for Life", you will receive a Group Directory covering all local IAM Groups for you to contact the one nearest to you (or the most convenient). Each group organises their "Observed Runs" locally. Most people can achieve "Test standard" after 6-8 observed runs (typically a fortnight apart), so you could be "Test ready" in 12-16 weeks.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby jbsportstech » Sun Nov 30, 2008 8:30 pm

I dont know they must pay these sales executive chaps on the stands alot of cash. :shock:
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby martine » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:46 am

rodericksdad wrote:

If,thats the case they can expect to lose a lot of potentials because they are slowly pricing themselves out of reach of the average working man who will just not be able to afford to do the skill for life,dont know what the answer is but its a pity.

I think there is plenty wrong with the IAM but even at £130 the course is an absolute bargain. £130 - what's that less than 3 visits to the petrol station? How much do you pay for insurance? Depreciation for most cars is many thousands £ per year.

Sure increasing the cost makes it a more difficult 'sell' but when you think about it...
martine

Postby MGF » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:52 am

Don't forget you are not paying for observed runs, merely for membership and books etc. The higher the price the more difficult it will be to show that associates are not paying for driver training.
MGF

Postby ROG » Mon Dec 01, 2008 10:56 am

MGF wrote:Don't forget you are not paying for observed runs, merely for membership and books etc. The higher the price the more difficult it will be to show that associates are not paying for driver training.

That is likely to be the perception, I agree.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby jbsportstech » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:12 pm

Rospa charge less and I have heard nothing about rises in test fees? There costs must be very similar just alot less memebers.

I have heard the discount for under 25's is going to be abolished as its ageist :shock: Its nothing to do with age its to do with accident statistics.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby jont » Mon Dec 01, 2008 12:49 pm

jbsportstech wrote:I have heard the discount for under 25's is going to be abolished as its ageist :shock: Its nothing to do with age its to do with accident statistics.

Maybe it should be changed to a discount for anyone doing IAM within (say) 5 years of passing their DSA test? That would avoid the ageist limit and probably not add significantly to the overall cost of a discounted scheme?
jont

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum