Traffic Cops

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby MikeG » Fri Dec 12, 2008 5:48 am

A friend in the SYP Road Policing Unit e-mailed this to me . . . . their new 'weapon' in the the fight against crime.

There is someone in the team who may be familiar.

Some more info here

Mike
At the end of the day even when you have tried to plan for every eventuality the unexpected can happen.
MikeG

Postby vonhosen » Fri Dec 12, 2008 8:12 am

There is only one X there & it's not even a 360, pah!
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby jont » Fri Dec 12, 2008 9:18 am

vonhosen wrote:There is only one X there & it's not even a 360, pah!

Going to show us your toys then? :lol:
jont

Postby Red Herring » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:21 am

I don't think you will find they are "Traffic" in the traditional sense.....
Red Herring

Postby jbsportstech » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:35 am

Think they are trying to copy essex police. Not my cup the front looks ok but it looks like the where flat out of enthusiasm/talent on the back end :?

If you gave one of these guys a powerful rear drive like new m3 they probably lose the back end as these evos are so sanatised with electronic overlords they take alot of skilll away.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby Gareth » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:52 am

jbsportstech wrote:If you gave one of these guys a powerful rear drive like new m3 they probably lose the back end as these evos are so sanatised with electronic overlords they take alot of skilll away.

Can you tell us more about your experiences of driving Evos and the new M3 and how they compare?

My experience is limited - I driven an Impreza of a few years ago, and slightly older M3s a few times, and from memory I would be hard pressed to say that one is easier to drive than the other, especially to the point where one might lose the back end. I've found the BMW DSC system to be intrusive in slippery conditions, at least and especially on M5s, but I'm not sure I would suggest that these newer cars don't require skill and respect, or that anyone could drive them safely when attempting to make good progress.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby jbsportstech » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:08 am

Can I yes!

Will I umm ok!

I haven't driven a 10 but a 7. I have briefly driven the new m3 and p reg not the model in between and teh m3 was very nice. I am saying that evoes and scoobys arent my cup of tea. I would like a current shape 5 series as my work car at the mo if I am honest. I was driving a colleagues 58 plate 325d m sport the other day and I didn't find dtc that bad although I had switched off what the car whatever level you can by pressing the button and it was lovely to drive had plently of fun :P even for someone with my limited talent.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby jbsportstech » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:35 am

this is what they need : plus it doesnt need servicing every 5-6k and will hit 161mph http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/mo ... 028179.ece
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby ScoobyChris » Fri Dec 12, 2008 11:58 am

Am I reading this right? With your "limited talent" you drove a new M3 and didn't lose the back end and yet these guys (who have undergone significantly more and better quality training) would? :roll:

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby jbsportstech » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:16 pm

Possibly if they get used to the computer controlled evo's.... I don't use the electronic aids I just switch them off as much as possible.

For you and I we strive out of passion to be the best drivers we can, for some police officiers these days treat their training like the average 17 yr old treat their driving test all this 'you past the test and then drive the way you want' so if they get back into bad habbits/some cases fundamnetally unsound practices and don't drive they way they have been taught then they can get into trouble as speed amplifies bad driving practices. I am sure you would agree these people should be setting an example for other roadusers.

I was nearly taken out on a multi lane carriage way the other day when one of avon and somerset police's unmarked bmw 5 series tourings these are supposely driven by advanced traffic or arv people but this one came thundering down my outside and and cut into the 3-4second gap in front of me and the vehicle I was following without an indication and then he slammed on his brakes all in split second. Nothing advanced about his driving, and I am sure he has had better training than me but if dont choose to practice what you are taught you cannot be classfied as skilled/advanced in my book. Alot of advanced driving is mindset and planning get that wrong and you aren't increasing your safety.
Last edited by jbsportstech on Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:26 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby jont » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:20 pm

jbsportstech wrote:I don't use the electronic aids I just switch them off as much as possible.

Do you also disable your air-bags and drive around with no seatbelt?
jont

Postby jbsportstech » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:29 pm

Joint : I assume you only drive the lastest cars with the lastest electronic aids then? You wouldnt dream of driving a old car with no abs and stability control? Or are you of the mindset its best to use all the electronic aids as the cars computer has a bigger brain than you?

No I switch off esp/dtsc tsc and btsc as I when I started driving 10 years ago I learnt a certain amount of car control (Inc some skid pan) and I never lost control of a car then! So now with further training and experince why do I need these aids. I have been turning tsc/tbsc off in the focus for 3 years and 42000 miles and have yet to get into a situation I couldnt control.

Air bags and seatbelts and passive restraints for if it all goes wrong.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby ScoobyChris » Fri Dec 12, 2008 12:53 pm

jbsportstech wrote:Possibly if they get used to the computer controlled evo's....

Do you really think that's likely considering how much car swapping the police do?! Clearly you know far more about police traffic drivers than I do so I'll assume you're right and the police will have to equip their officers with Evo's only to keep them safe and sound.

Are you also suggesting that with your few hours training on a skid pan and 6/7 RoSPA drives you could out-perform ESP/ABS if the car got into trouble?! I would pay to see that put to the test :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby jont » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:01 pm

jbsportstech wrote:Joint : I assume you only drive the lastest cars with the lastest electronic aids then? You wouldnt dream of driving a old car with no abs and stability control? Or are you of the mindset its best to use all the electronic aids as the cars computer has a bigger brain than you?

I'm of the mindset that it's better not to get into the situation in the first place.

Do you also turn your ABS off? Have you tried measuring your braking/stopping distances in a corner with(out) the systems and finding out which stops most effectively in an emergency? What about in the wet or on ice?

(oh, and FWIW my car is about 8 years old and doesn't even have servo'd brakes).

Jon
jont

Postby daz6215 » Fri Dec 12, 2008 2:10 pm

If your car is fitted with these aids i think unless your track driving you would be a fool to disengage them, the link i have posted is for ESP , watch it through and tell me if you could control the vehicle better without it.
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=akZ9AaFB7Zc
daz6215

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum