List of speed limits for roads in the UK

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Custom24 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:34 pm

Hi
This is nothing to do with the speed cameras or speed limits debate going on at the moment.
I was just wondering if there is such a thing as a list of UK speed limits for specifically named sections of roads online somewhere? Would come in handy when designing routes.
I know I keep asking these kinds of questions, but I have googled, honest.
Mark
Custom24

Postby jcochrane » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:38 pm

I'm sure someone will come up with the answer but I think speed limits are set by the local authorities so I would think that's who you have to approach.
jcochrane

Location: East Surrey and wherever good driving roads can be found.

Postby Custom24 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 11:53 pm

Thanks
I'm not sure it is worth asking the local authority. I thought there might be some resource online for mapping purposes, etc. Or failing that, there might be some speed demon site where they are listed.
Custom24

Postby waremark » Sun Jan 04, 2009 1:05 am

Tomtoms show the speed limit where it is known in their database. Since this is very incomplete, I cannot believe there is a complete database anywhere in the public arena. If there was, Tomtom would use it.
waremark

Postby jont » Sun Jan 04, 2009 9:34 am

waremark wrote:Tomtoms show the speed limit where it is known in their database. Since this is very incomplete, I cannot believe there is a complete database anywhere in the public arena. If there was, Tomtom would use it.

Although their database frequently seems to be inaccurate from my comparison of satnav against road signs. I wonder where their data came from?
jont

Postby michael769 » Sun Jan 04, 2009 2:45 pm

jont wrote:
waremark wrote:Tomtoms show the speed limit where it is known in their database. Since this is very incomplete, I cannot believe there is a complete database anywhere in the public arena. If there was, Tomtom would use it.

Although their database frequently seems to be inaccurate from my comparison of satnav against road signs. I wonder where their data came from?

I have wondered that myself. Mine alternates between being surprisingly accurate to having spurious 40mph limits in the middle of nowhere.

I doubt very much there is a UK wide database (although the Highways Agency and Transport Scotland may have one for the motorway and trunk road networks). In fact I would suspect that most local authorities will not have one for their areas, relying on local knowlege or observation of the signs.

It may the Sat-Nav data has also been collected from local observations by the mappers?
michael769

Postby martine » Sun Jan 04, 2009 5:54 pm

I don't believe there is a comprehensive database of speed limits - the 'guidance' memo issued to local authorities asking them to 'review' rural roads (mentioned in the other thread) encourages them to put all their limits on a database for future use...this was in 2006.

Certainly tomtom is inaccurate but my maps are well out of date anyway. :roll:
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby MGF » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:05 am

jont wrote:

Yes I wonder too. An NSL for a good five miles was indicated as 30mph on my TomTom. Thought I had missed something.
MGF

Postby Big Err » Mon Jan 05, 2009 2:56 pm

You'd need to delve into the legal archives for the complete list of regulations - speed limit, waiting restrictions, height restrictions, weight restrictions etc etc.

The more porgressive authorities may be using a piece of software called KeyRegs (or similar) which is an AutoCAD/GIS bolt on that has a database made up from the legal archives and can show the restrictions graphically on OS base plans or provide a list.
Big Err

Postby Angus » Mon Jan 05, 2009 11:02 pm

It'll need to be available soon, otherwise how will they control our speed?
Angus

Return to General Car Chat Forum