What should my local IAM group do?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby martine » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:15 pm

I'm a Bristol IAM group observer and also on the local commitee for my sins. We have around 550 members and train around 120 associates each year to IAM test standard. The membership has been fairly constant for several years...we loose as many local members as we gain.

Anyone got any ideas on how we could attract more associates to join our group after they pass their test and also how to make it more attractive for existing members to stay and be involved?

It might be easier to think about what my group should do/offer that would make it irrestible for *you* to join! Sensible/practical suggestions would be appreciated!
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby Darren » Sun Mar 12, 2006 8:36 pm

The IAM nationally have the same problem really. IAM membership doesn't really increase that much now, they lose as many as they gain. Retention is a problem. (hence the forthcoming plan to make all new associates....members.....)

Generally people join the IAM for a number of reasons.

1. Believing they get insurance discounts (based on some info I have....people aren't actually interested in this).
2. To improve their driving.
3. Social

Those who join because of 1. are mis-informed, but there are insurance benefits from keeping NCB.
Those who join because of 2. actually probably dont need the training anyway.
3 is the problem group as it's this group who generally give the IAM the image it has.

Most IAM groups, really, are social havens for people with a common interest in either driving or road safety (trying not to offend anyone...). The driving croud will generally become observers, go on to do RoADA or HPC and form their little "closed circle", and everyone else will drop off or just attend social events, or give their money for the good of road safety.

How you go about changing "3" I dont know....I suppose you need to offer different events to meet a different requirement. If you are going to motoring museums for visits, you'll get people interested in that....if your doing cheep tickets to the touring cars, go-karting sessions, more skid pans what we would say "young fun" activities, then you'll get more of your target market.

Value for money....what do people get for their annual membership in real terms? I once worked out that my £18 IAM membership in real terms is worse value for money than my IEE membership (which costs a hell of a lot more).

Do people do it for the love of road safety <- seriously uncool
Or to get something out of it <- more likely

I'm sure someone can rationalise this....I've been trying for years and hit obstacles at every turn, mainly from the very organisation that suffer's from the problem (go figure)....look at Max Driver, the success of that, says an awful lot.

Then the recent Lords Vs. MP's 50th Anniversary event I'm sure did ooooodles to improve image.

The Old Boys Club image has to go...

In some respects this website is better value for money than any IAM group membership, this is free for a start, and if you can't pull people in with it being free there is a serious problem. I'm monitoring how many people go from here, to the IAM/RoSPA websites to get an idea of referral figures. Our 85k page requests a month makes this one of the largest advanced driving sites on the net (the IAM site doesn't get much more visitors and we are more popular than the RoADA site)

I dont want to say too much as I have been talking off forum to alot of people, organisations about ways forward. But it wont be over night.

All input is useful, I suspect the solution at some point will come out of the mishmash at some point.
Darren

Postby martine » Sun Mar 12, 2006 9:37 pm

Darren - as you know, I agree with your attitude and you highlight the problems well. Certainly it would be good to attract a younger group AND THEN KEEP THEM so the average age of the IAM would fall.

It's self-fulfilling to a certain extent: when I attend our monthly meetings we always get a few 'first timers' visiting (associates and public) and I am acutely aware the average age in the room must be 50+ - if the visitor is in their 20s who can blaim them if they don't come back?

And as for joining a local group...what do the get? For the Bristol group it's not a lot really except the chance to become an observer and further improve their skills if they want...and of course not everyone does. That's why I'm after ideas for both youngsters and olders! The Bristol IAM group is I believe the 2nd largest in the country @ 500+ members but crickey how many drivers are there in our catchment areas...500,000?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby BillZZR600 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:19 pm

I again stress, as I post, this isnt a which is better argument.

Do you think that the fact that the IAM test is a "once and for life, pass or fail" test, has a bearing on this?
People like the Kudos of "I have done my IAM"
Do they then they go off in the knowledge that its done and dusted, "I never have to rejoin,or restit". or they move on to RoADAR and HPC to update and renew, and expand on their learning.

If like RoADAR, the test were graded, and with the 3 yearly compulsary Free resit to maintain membership, it would mean that unless they give up altogether, there is always the impetus to remain in membership, and improve and or ensure that you dont lower your grade.

Just a thought
Kawasaki ZZR600/Renault Laguna 1.8i
RoADAR Advanced Rider (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Motorcycle) Tutor
RoADAR Advanced Driver (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Car) Tutor
BillZZR600

Postby martine » Mon Mar 13, 2006 4:36 pm

BillZZR600 wrote:IIf like RoADAR, the test were graded, and with the 3 yearly compulsary Free resit to maintain membership, it would mean that unless they give up altogether, there is always the impetus to remain in membership, and improve and or ensure that you dont lower your grade.

Just a thought

Yes could well be - but remember there is a difference between joining the local group and joining the IAM national. If there was retesting I guess you could still maintain IAM national membership and not necessarily the local group.

Personally I think the best way to maintain (and improve) your driving standards after passing the IAM test is to become an observer and you are then giving something back to the group that trained you.

I am interested in giving members better value for money (actually our group fee is only £10 p.a. but I wonder what they actually get for even this paltry amount). I would like to have a much higher conversion rate from passing the test to joining the Bristol group (currently runs about 40%) and I would like to make it as attractive as possible.
martine

Postby BillZZR600 » Mon Mar 13, 2006 5:00 pm

martine wrote:
BillZZR600 wrote:IIf like RoADAR, the test were graded, and with the 3 yearly compulsary Free resit to maintain membership, it would mean that unless they give up altogether, there is always the impetus to remain in membership, and improve and or ensure that you dont lower your grade.

Just a thought

Yes could well be - but remember there is a difference between joining the local group and joining the IAM national. If there was retesting I guess you could still maintain IAM national membership and not necessarily the local group.

Personally I think the best way to maintain (and improve) your driving standards after passing the IAM test is to become an observer and you are then giving something back to the group that trained you.

I am interested in giving members better value for money (actually our group fee is only £10 p.a. but I wonder what they actually get for even this paltry amount). I would like to have a much higher conversion rate from passing the test to joining the Bristol group (currently runs about 40%) and I would like to make it as attractive as possible.

You echo my own experience,and feelings in in wishing to give something back Martine, and also that I have learned much more

I would say that whilst Membership of the National Org. is maintained (we have to to be eligible for the free retests) unless you were to move geographically you would tend to continue to stay with your Local group as a looming retest every so often meens that there is a continuing need to be observed/tutored, to iron out bad habits, or to improve gradings, (or even move on and into atempting to sit for the RoSPA National Diploma in Advanced Driving Instruction)
My own Local group's membership costs £20 per anum, and is regarded by most of the members as very cheap advanced tutoring (and parhaps even in the case of prospective Diploma Holders cheap guineapigs LOL)
Kawasaki ZZR600/Renault Laguna 1.8i
RoADAR Advanced Rider (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Motorcycle) Tutor
RoADAR Advanced Driver (Gold)
RoADAR Aproved (Car) Tutor
BillZZR600

Postby Darren » Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:10 pm

I think in relation to cost effectiveness. People giving £10 per annum to their local group will achieve more in road safety terms than £18 per year to head office.

The problem with running a large organisation is large overheads, and the cost effectiveness decreases. Money just gets swallowed up.

Personally, if I could be an advanced driver, without maintaining a membership to the "central" organisation, I would be much happier that my money is being spent wisely...I would be *very* close the group, and about as far away as someone could get to the national org.
Darren

Postby rlmr » Tue Mar 14, 2006 12:09 pm

Darren wrote:Value for money....what do people get for their annual membership in real terms? I once worked out that my £18 IAM membership in real terms is worse value for money than my IEE membership (which costs a hell of a lot more).

Do people do it for the love of road safety <- seriously uncool
Or to get something out of it <- more likely

An interesting point. You might care to note that even the examiners have to pay their National IAM Membership fees... even though we are giving up our time! Seemingly there is somthing in the consitution and associated indemnity insurance along the lines of being paid up members... so we all have to pay the IAM.

Personally I treat this as a donation to Road Safety, in the same way I pay my RNLI membership (but still help with the local Lifeboat Crews at their Galas etc.) and consider that just a donation :wink:
Rennie Ritchie
Home Page

IAM Examiner for Cars, Bikes, Lorries and Buses since 1986
rlmr

Postby martine » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:23 pm

You might care to note that even the examiners have to pay their National IAM Membership fees... even though we are giving up our time!

That's ridiculous...I'm sure there would be a way around this is they wanted to sort it.

Out of interest how many tests do you do in a month/year/whatever?
martine

Postby rlmr » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:51 pm

martine wrote:That's ridiculous...I'm sure there would be a way around this is they wanted to sort it.

...true, but now you see the difference between the examiners and IAM plc :wink: .

martine wrote:Out of interest how many tests do you do in a month/year/whatever?

Varies greatly depending on the season. My "catchment area" for Cars is local and I live in a small county, 500 sq miles with a total population around 345k. However recently I have been undertaking the majority of (Scottish) Senior Observer tests and Special Assessments for Bikes so this opens the area up to almost all of Scotland.

As you would expect in a rural area, over the winter, I have only conducted 5 tests so far in 2006. I can go for a couple of weeks without a test then end up with four in the one day... it is very unpredictable. However consider the following:

Travel to RVP; Pre-test briefing to candidate; 90 minute test; full de-brief; travel home; write up test report and complete paperwork...
...if its a bike test out with my home area this lot can easily top 5 hours.
...if its a local test its still 3.5 out of my day

So not being inundated with tests does allow me to have a bit of a life and not spend too much money. BTW the IAM mileage allowance was recently raised from 18p to P per mile. Suffice it to say, based only on bike fuel / tyres and service costs, I reckon I lose out by 5p per mile :cry:

regards,

Rennie
rlmr

Postby martine » Tue Mar 14, 2006 2:57 pm

They don't make it easy do they...still they've only got umpteen £m in the accounts.

I bet you get a real kick from passing people though. What's the most common failure?
martine

Postby rlmr » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:04 pm

martine wrote:I bet you get a real kick from passing people though. What's the most common failure?

It is really nice when someone delivers a good drive and you are able to tell them thay have "passed."

Most comon reasons for failure...
    Speeding (35 - 40 in a 30) in the towns
    Poor System
    Bad planning / Poor Observations

Rennie
rlmr

Postby martine » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:21 pm

rlmr wrote:Most comon reasons for failure...
    Speeding (35 - 40 in a 30) in the towns
    Poor System
    Bad planning / Poor Observations

Rennie

Speeding: no excuses really are there
Poor Obs: personally I reckon this is one of the really important bits I concentrate on with my associates that makes a big safety difference
Poor system: would you fail someone for BGOL?
martine

Postby rlmr » Tue Mar 14, 2006 3:33 pm

martine wrote:Speeding: no excuses really are there
Poor Obs: personally I reckon this is one of the really important bits I concentrate on with my associates that makes a big safety difference
Poor system: would you fail someone for BGOL?

BGOL... see PYADT page 16:
Gear
Once travelling at the right speed select the correct gear. If time is short, you may need to change gear shortly before you finish braking.

So if that's what the IAM manual states, then that's the test standard. However you are right about Observations as good obs lead to good planning, which can eliminate most BGOL :wink: . On the other hand, with Green Badge tests this is not a problem... so long as the candidate is not slowing down using the gears!

Rennie
rlmr

Return to General Car Chat Forum