Remember the two second rule, peeps!

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Shipwright » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:16 pm

and remember the mantra to gauge two seconds - only a **** hits the car in front..

...Which I did. Today.

Advanced driver training, where do I sign? (I'm in Wiltshire)

Regards,

S.
Shipwright

Postby ScoobyChris » Sat Jan 17, 2009 2:34 pm

Sorry to hear about that and hope you walked away without injury!

For advanced driving organisations, the main two are represented in South Wilts by Southern RoSPA or Salisbury Plain IAM would be good groups to look at. If you're in North Wilts then North Wilts RoSPA is probably worth a look but I'm not sure about IAM groups in the area.

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby Shipwright » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:02 pm

Skidded into the back of a car at what must have been ~10-15 MPH. Both vehicles OK - a few tiny scratches to their rear bumper, my front bumper has a small crack in it (about 9" long).

Obviously informed insurance co etc. Ho hum, live and learn!

I'll look into Salisbury IAM.

Cheers,

S.
Shipwright

Postby moncainthewilds » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:44 pm

If you are nearer to Swindon there is North Wilts Roadar
secretary.nwg.roasar@gmail.com

Monica North Wilts Roadar
moncainthewilds

Postby ExadiNigel » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:10 pm

moncainthewilds wrote:If you are nearer to Swindon there is North Wilts Roadar
secretary.nwg.roasar@gmail.com

Monica North Wilts Roadar

With very easy to get to meetings, just off the M4. J15

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby Shipwright » Sat Jan 17, 2009 5:13 pm

Will look into it. Cheers, guys.

Regards,

S.
Shipwright

Postby jbsportstech » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:26 pm

The 2 second rule is good in principle and alot more than most people will leave.

Personally I used 3-4 seconds as it allows much greater flexibility. Once you get used to using self displine to hold but 3-4 secs it just gives so many more option when things happen in front of you whatever speed you are traveling.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby ScoobyChris » Sat Jan 17, 2009 6:36 pm

jbsportstech wrote:Personally I used 3-4 seconds as it allows much greater flexibility. Once you get used to using self displine to hold but 3-4 secs it just gives so many more option when things happen in front of you whatever speed you are traveling.

Do you find with a 3-4 second gap, it makes taking advantage of overtaking opportunities more difficult?

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby ExadiNigel » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:07 pm

Actually Chris, depending on what is in front of you, it can increase overtaking opportunities because your forward vision extends much further ahead.

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby TripleS » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:19 pm

adiNigel wrote:Actually Chris, depending on what is in front of you, it can increase overtaking opportunities because your forward vision extends much further ahead.

Nigel

That's true, but with a low powered car you may be conscious of the difficulty of making up the extra distance if the overtake is on - and by the time you've done that, it might not still be on. :(

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby firstmk1 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 7:23 pm

I like to be flexible with my safety bubble and vary the gap in front relative to the circumstances. I am Jack's smug self-righteousness :twisted:

Shipwright, well done for seeking to improve your skills. I've trained with both IAM and Rospa and found them to be very helpful. Try to keep an open mind as some things won't make sense when you first start.
Ian
firstmk1

Postby fungus » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:30 pm

I think two seconds is too close, and like JB, I prefer a three to four second gap. There are obvious advantages to the larger gap. Firstly it affords a much better forward view, allowing more time to react to developing situations.

Secondly you can plan overtakes better, as you can see the gap oppening up where you can move offside for that final view before committing to the overtake.

See http:/www.youtube.com/watch?=KRrAdlDt5Tk

Note the car following the LGV is not able to get a forward view, and can't even move slightly off side. Of course if you have a powerfull car it is much easier. But if you don't have the power, should you be attempting the overtake anyway?

And thirdly, it allows faster drivers to overtake and make progress if they wish.

Nigel ADI
IAM trainee observer
fungus

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sat Jan 17, 2009 8:59 pm

North Wilts RoADAR? Now where have I heard that name? :P

to email Monica change roasar to roadar ;)
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby jbsportstech » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:09 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:
jbsportstech wrote:Personally I used 3-4 seconds as it allows much greater flexibility. Once you get used to using self displine to hold but 3-4 secs it just gives so many more option when things happen in front of you whatever speed you are traveling.

Do you find with a 3-4 second gap, it makes taking advantage of overtaking opportunities more difficult?

Chris

No because if maxium progress is on the agenda I will move into a contact position briefly and either take the advantage or drop back plus as someone has said in some situations that extra room gives the view to see opportunities open up.

It doesn't need to hamper progress if you are planning and observing correctly in my mind. I did think that when I was being taught it but my teacher was more than happy to demonstrate correct application I don't know if its a hpc or class 1 met thing either or.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby Custom24 » Sat Jan 17, 2009 9:59 pm

fungus wrote:See http:/www.youtube.com/watch?=KRrAdlDt5Tk

You made a typo
http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=KRrAdlDt5Tk

Is the correct url
Custom24

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum