Today is Test Day (Update PASSED)

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby jbsportstech » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:04 am

My partner has her test a 10:24 @ taunton test centre. Wish her luck. :D

6 MINORS combination of expert tuition (from me in st170) and good adi.

had to change as previous was ex aa instructor and just wanted to make money like the aa.
Last edited by jbsportstech on Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby ScoobyChris » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:29 am

Good luck to her! I'm sure she'll be grand :D

Chris

ps When's she starting her RoSPA course ;)
ScoobyChris

Postby Oddball » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:29 pm

Good luck to her! :)
Oddball

Postby ExadiNigel » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:38 pm

Hope it went well!

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby TripleS » Fri Jan 23, 2009 12:49 pm

I hope all went well. Any news yet?

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby ExadiNigel » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:19 pm

jbsportstech wrote:My partner has her test a 10:24 @ taunton test centre. Wish her luck. :D

Very well done to her. Did she take the test in teh ST170?

jbsportstech wrote:was ex aa instructor and just wanted to make money like the aa.

Now that I strongly object to! Your evidence is?

I am an instructor with the AA. Yes I am in the job primarily to make money (don't you work to make money?) but that doesn't mean that I will string pupils along for longer than they need to be just to try and make more money which you appear to be insinuating!

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby jbsportstech » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:49 pm

adiNigel wrote:
jbsportstech wrote:My partner has her test a 10:24 @ taunton test centre. Wish her luck. :D

Very well done to her. Did she take the test in the ST170?

jbsportstech wrote:was ex aa instructor and just wanted to make money like the aa.

Now that I strongly object to! Your evidence is?

I am an instructor with the AA. Yes I am in the job primarily to make money (don't you work to make money?) but that doesn't mean that I will string pupils along for longer than they need to be just to try and make more money which you appear to be insinuating!

Nigel

Nigel thought u might be!!

You may be but I have spoken to an ex aa and another adi who was offered a job and he said they make you go on an accountancy course/booking and they aim to make a minium amount of money from each pupil I forget the figure he was given etc. Both of these adi's think the aa driving school is more interested in making money than teaching people. Of course all adi's are different but her previous had her for 6 months and she made no progress new instructor had her for 7 weeks and she passes.

No she didnt take her test in my 170 but has lessons she took it in her adi's mini cooper d
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby fungus » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:51 pm

Well done. What next? Pass Plus, IAM, or RoSPA.

Nigel ADI
IAM trainee observer
fungus

Postby jbsportstech » Fri Jan 23, 2009 1:57 pm

give her a year of bulding up experience and convidence and then hopefully introduce rospa. She is not all that keen at the mo and I think after learning one set of skills and passing one test you need so time to develope b4 taking it further.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby MiniClubmanEstate » Fri Jan 23, 2009 6:06 pm

Good to hear that she passed.

It could be worth investigating PasPlus as it does give a good discount on some insurance policies, thats why a a number of years ago I embarked on PasPlus. Workout if the number of lessons required would result in a saving on a yearly premium, other than that there is not much that will overload a new driver on a standard PasPlus course, I was lucky as my instructor is very keen on advanced driving and introduced me to a few non DSA techniques which I found interesting.

Rospa / IAM could follow that after a year or two.
Andrew: PCV, IAM Car
Smoky - Pronounced as Smokey, a unique little Mini.
MiniClubmanEstate

Postby ExadiNigel » Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:09 pm

jbsportstech wrote:....Nigel thought u might be!!

:D :D

jbsportstech wrote:You may be but I have spoken to an ex aa and another adi who was offered a job and he said they make you go on an accountancy course/booking and they aim to make a minium amount of money from each pupil I forget the figure he was given etc.

err actually they don't send you on any such course. What is made out of a pupil is entirely down to the individual instructor, not the AA.

The AA make their money from teh instructor, not the pupil. The instructor pays a weekly franchise fee plus a charge of £30 per pupil supplied.

There will always be situations where one particular instructor may struggle to move a pupil on or simply not 'gel' with a particular pupil.

jbsportstech wrote: Both of these adi's think the aa driving school is more interested in making money than teaching people. Of course all adi's are different but her previous had her for 6 months and she made no progress new instructor had her for 7 weeks and she passes.

What? No progress in 6 months? Why did you wait so long?

jbsportstech wrote:No she didnt take her test in my 170 but has lessons she took it in her adi's mini cooper d

:D :D :D

Nigel
ExadiNigel

Postby jbsportstech » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:09 pm

Nigel,

I waited 6 months as I did want to rush her and the instructor was being paid for by her mother. He took a fmaily member on from another adi and gave her two lessons b4 passing her test which is why we ended up with him. He was aa and the in the last couple of months went with learners uk then on his own changed car 3 times. Didnt like his attitude but her mother didnt want her to have a new one plus it was an hour fortnightly.

Then we had a tex I dont do driving instruction anymore.. :o

When it comes to her brother I will hold the adi at gun point after two weeks, why isnt he test ready.

I am going to try and teach him.

Like I said two adi's have told me otherwise,, can't see why a current and and someone offered a job with them would lie.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby ExadiNigel » Sat Jan 24, 2009 9:55 pm

jbsportstech wrote:....Then we had a tex I dont do driving instruction anymore.. :o

That's disgraceful! When I stopped instructing for a while, I went out of my way to try and find each of my remaining pupils a new instructor.

jbsportstech wrote:When it comes to her brother I will hold the adi at gun point after two weeks, why isnt he test ready.

:shock:
Remember the average number of hours required is around 45.

jbsportstech wrote:I am going to try and teach him.

No harm in trying. It may work out very well, but bear in mind that close relationships can be strained when teaching someone to drive!

When he gets close to test standard, there is a document available on teh DSA web site that advises on what the examiner should be looking for. http://www.dsa.gov.uk/Form.asp?id=2621

jbsportstech wrote:Like I said two adi's have told me otherwise,, can't see why a current and and someone offered a job with them would lie.

I have been with teh AA for almost 2 years. I am a local coach covering SN, OX and GL postcodes. I am an instructor trainer for the AA and am also a Fleet trainer for the AA amongst other companies.

There is no accountancy course run by the AA.
There is no monetary gain to the AA if a pupil is encouraged to take more lessons than is necessary.
Where Learner drivers are concerned, the AA only makes £30. From the instructor, NOT the pupil.

I wouldn't suggest these others are lying, simply that they have misunderstood something. Perhaps they would like to join the forum and explain where they get this idea from?

Nigel
ExadiNigel

Postby jbsportstech » Sat Jan 24, 2009 10:08 pm

thank you nigel

I am training to be a tutor with rospa so I should be reasonably well placed to teach him but he will need an adi somewhere along the line.

I am more interested in teaching advanced rather the L test driving and regardless of my ability to drive doesnt necessarily translate that I will make a good teacher I may not have the nack.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby ExadiNigel » Sat Jan 24, 2009 11:59 pm

Your tutor training will help give you some coaching skills. Also have you been involved in training at work?

Once he has the basic skills, try to use questions to get the answer out of him rather than tell him where he is going wrong.

Anything I can do to help feel free to pm me.

Nigel
ExadiNigel

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum