I.A.M. Failed......

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby omegac » Thu Mar 16, 2006 8:05 pm

Darren wrote:You can discuss it....but if it turns into anything more than a discussion, say, bordering on a flame war, the topic will be locked.

That wasn't my intention by replying to Nigel, it was an opinion based on what I have observed. I hope it wasn't interpreted as anything other than that.
omegac

Postby David2428 » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:09 pm

Nigel wrote:Very well done David, your my hero mate, you bankrupt the local scamera partnership, then become one of the brothers.

:D

Shhhhhhh! :wink:

Seriously though thanx all especially Biggles, Lynne S1&VH all from the forum "across the road".......

I am seriously thinking about the observer prospect..going to have a bit of a break first... got a lot going on at the moment....

:wink:
London Cabbie and Biker......
David2428

Postby rlmr » Thu Mar 16, 2006 9:54 pm

omegac wrote:Not that we were arguing about either of those topics :), but am I to take it then that there is not to be discussion here about the relative merits/standards of one organisation v another?

Sorry folks. I did not mean to quash discussion and I applaud folk who are active members of both organisations. I would not want to side line organisations such as the HPC for cars and the BMF Blue Ribbon, Star Rider / Bike Safe, 2-wheeler groups.

I just get a bit anxious that the two major car organisations (IAM & RoADA) get played off against each other. As I have mentioned before in differing threads... some areas have population density to support both IAM & RoADA in other areas only one of them is seen to be successful.

I was just trying to introduce some facts to the debate in that I have been very fortunate to have experienced the IAM & RoADA around the UK. Whist all Advanced Driving groups might have the same aims they all believe they are better than the next one. There is nothing wrong with being confident - remember the 2nd Commandment...
Drive / Ride with deliberation and overtake as quickly as possible
Deliberation eliminates uncertainly. When safe, go!

Again the reality is I have seen & tested some PISH* On the other hand I have been fortunate enough to have ridden with a few (civilian) Advanced Riders who could have slipped on a Yellow Jacket and ridden a striped BMW and not have been told apart from my team. I can't give any higher praise than that. And the reality about these few... a couple had Advanced Driving certificate and a couple did not.

I know that the IAM & RoADA want to spread the word and have folk sit their tests, but I agree with Darren... its the taking part and improving which is important, not necessarily holding the bit of paper.

Just my thoughts.

Rennie

*Please Improve Standards Here
rlmr

Postby Nigel » Thu Mar 16, 2006 10:25 pm

Whooooa guys.

For gods sake, it was a tounge in cheek joke....hence the smiley.

I don't do the one is better than another ( although I am often the butt of the I AM a better driver jokes).

I have signed up to do my rospa, when / if they can ever be bothered to write back!

Nowt so funny as those that take themselves too seriously !

If you want stick, don't worry about advanced driving, drive a BMW

:roll:
Nigel

Postby vonhosen » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:32 pm

martine wrote:What I want to know is what do you do after Class-1? Class-0?

You do some stuff that has little to do with roadcraft as you know it.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby martine » Thu Mar 16, 2006 11:44 pm

omegac wrote:
martine wrote:
Hear, hear lets not get into a "mine's bigger than yours" or "my dad can beat you dad up argument" either.

Not that we were arguing about either of those topics :), but am I to take it then that there is not to be discussion here about the relative merits/standards of one organisation v another?

Correct! It is verbotten! But seriously, I just don't think it's very constructive and I think it gets rather tiresome but that's just my opinion...of course no discussion should be banned unless it's offensive or illegal.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby David2428 » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:04 am

Going to stay with IAM, rather spend time becoming an observer rather than "go fo gold" an old saying...never bite the hand that feeds you.....
Having a breather then maybe look into it and see whats involved...not forgetting I spend 50-60 hours a week behind the wheel as it is....... :wink:
London Cabbie and Biker......
David2428

Postby martine » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:50 pm

David2428 wrote:Going to stay with IAM, rather spend time becoming an observer rather than "go fo gold" an old saying...never bite the hand that feeds you.....
Having a breather then maybe look into it and see whats involved...not forgetting I spend 50-60 hours a week behind the wheel as it is....... :wink:

Well done - I really enjoyed becoming an observer and it really does help to maintain your standards. I took a new associate out yesterday and she's going to be a challenge...I think she will question everything, which is fine, but will certainly keep me on my toes. I think being an obs is a double-win: helps you and 'road safety' whereas doing HPC etc is purely for the benefit of the student and does nothing for the bigger picture - which is personally my motivation.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Previous

Return to General Car Chat Forum