Previously attended IAM course, what now?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby stephenperry » Sat Mar 18, 2006 12:58 am

Greetings to everyone; some of you may recognise me from other forums

First a bit of background:

I successfully completed a 'Skill For Life' course as an associate with my local IAM group back in 2003 and reached testing level but was eventually denied the chance to sit a test

I'd like to further my training but am unsure as to how to go about it, there are no rospa groups remotely near, and wonder if another IAM SFL package would be money well spent seeing as I still have all the training material and have tried to maintain my standard as best I can

My aim (in common with many other people, no doubt!) is to achieve the civilian equivalent to class 1 police driving but for as little monetary cost as possible - driver development courses frequently advertised in the back pages of Evo magazine appear prohibitively expensive

Guidance, suggestions and thoughts are all welcome
Alpina B10 3.3 #118 : Ford Sierra XR4i : Peugeot 307 HDi 90 S
stephenperry

Postby Nigel » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:17 am

Stephen

Nice to see you on here mate.

I know you feel a little bitter towards the IAM for the way they treated you, and I don't blame you, you know I tried to fight your corner, but I'm afraid no-one wanted to know.

The IAMs policy on penalty points is one I'm at odds with.

You actually have a Scottish examiner on here now, so he may be useful to chat with.

Reading your post, if you want value for money ( cheap) training, then it either the IAM or rospa, and as you don't have a rospa group local, then the IAMs skill for life is all thats really available to you I'm afraid.

Is your licence clean ( or at least below 7 points ) now ?
Nigel

Postby stephenperry » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:26 am

clean as a whistle now Nige, and thats how i intend to keep it (touch wood)

0 - 9 - 0 is a bigger rollercoaster than alton towers :lol: and not in a hurry to repeat the experience

i emailed my local group (their current course started a couple of weeks ago but i wanted to see if i could jump in anyway) but mail to the domain bounces back as undeliverable :roll:
Alpina B10 3.3 #118 : Ford Sierra XR4i : Peugeot 307 HDi 90 S
stephenperry

Postby Porker » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:29 am

The best advice I can give is to:

i) Join the closest RoADAR group to you and wait for an observer who's close(ish) to you to become available. You will spend some money on fuel getting to the drives but the training is free, which should more than compensate.

ii) Once you have a RoADAR Gold pass, consider the High Performance Course (aka the Master Drivers Course) run by Cadence. Hugh Noblett and Dave (StressedDave) of Cadence both make the occasional appearance on this forum and can advise details.

The course is - depending on your point of view - either quite expensive or very inexpensive.

For around £1,000 I think it represents good value, since it leads to membership of the High Performance Club - if your standard is good enough. Once in the HPC, you can benefit greatly from the free input given by more experienced members and of course participate in the wide range of driving events the club organises.

So, for £1,000 - about the same as a decent set of tyres and a set of brake pads for the average performance car these days - you can gain a skill which will pay for itself many times over in the course of a lifetime of driving in terms of enjoyment, safety, lower maintenance bills and fuel savings.

Nick
Porker

Postby Nigel » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:30 am

I've asked rlmr, who is the chap I mentioned if he could look at the thread to see if he can help you in any way.

So sit tight, he comes across as a decent sort :D

As for the bounced mails, I'd chat to the IAMs webmasters mate, even a retired one lol ( he owns this site ) :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
Nigel

Postby Nigel » Sat Mar 18, 2006 1:40 am

Porker wrote:The best advice I can give is to:

i) Join the closest RoADAR group to you and wait for an observer who's close(ish) to you to become available. You will spend some money on fuel getting to the drives but the training is free, which should more than compensate.

ii) Once you have a RoADAR Gold pass, consider the High Performance Course (aka the Master Drivers Course) run by Cadence. Hugh Noblett and Dave (StressedDave) of Cadence both make the occasional appearance on this forum and can advise details.

The course is - depending on your point of view - either quite expensive or very inexpensive.

For around £1,000 I think it represents good value, since it leads to membership of the High Performance Club - if your standard is good enough. Once in the HPC, you can benefit greatly from the free input given by more experienced members and of course participate in the wide range of driving events the club organises.

So, for £1,000 - about the same as a decent set of tyres and a set of brake pads for the average performance car these days - you can gain a skill which will pay for itself many times over in the course of a lifetime of driving in terms of enjoyment, safety, lower maintenance bills and fuel savings.

Nick

Nick

I think your correct with what you say ( safety1st thinks its true anyway), but £1,000 is out of the question for some of us ( I'm not pleading poverty, but thats a lot of money to someone with children, mortgage etc).

I realise it is good, buts its a pity that sort of course is out of reach of those interested.

I have trouble getting people to spend £85 on an IAM sfl package.
Nigel

Postby rlmr » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:44 am

Nigel wrote:I've asked rlmr, who is the chap I mentioned if he could look at the thread to see if he can help you in any way.

PM sent :)

Rennie
rlmr

Postby Darren » Sat Mar 18, 2006 9:47 am

This is exactly the kind of thing I set this site up for, so I'm really pleased to see it being use in this way.

We all know many IAM and RoSPA groups have waiting lists and my philosophy on advanced driving is that it should be free to anybody who wants to undertake it (up until taking a test...which is chargeable).

Therefor, why not, if there are members of this forum close to you, arrange a training drive out. Say 2 or 3 to a car and see what you get up to.

Much IAM/RoPSA observer/tutor training is done this way, so is Police training. It can be an eye opener, and a safe environment in terms of learning. If there are say 2 IAM members and a non-IAM member looking for training, but can't get on a course. Sort something out, have a meet on a motorway services or something and have an hour doing say a demo drive from one with the other two observing.

If people are on waiting lists, this kind of activity can help significantly in improving awareness before a course starts and also will help bridge the gap and your not going in cold.

Roadcraft is what the aim is, so why not start reading up, and doing what I suggest above?

Darren
Darren

Postby Porker » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:02 am

Darren

Good point, and exactly what I was thinking of when I read some of the earlier replies to my response.

So, if there's anyone in the Essex-ish area (or who's willing to drive down here) who would like to come on a driving day for some friendly input on their technique, make yourself known.

Perhaps some of the local observers/HPC folks would like to volunteer their services too :-)

Nick
Porker

Postby Nigel » Sun Mar 19, 2006 1:32 am

Porker wrote:Darren

Good point, and exactly what I was thinking of when I read some of the earlier replies to my response.

So, if there's anyone in the Essex-ish area (or who's willing to drive down here) who would like to come on a driving day for some friendly input on their technique, make yourself known.

Perhaps some of the local observers/HPC folks would like to volunteer their services too :-)

Nick

I'm always willing to have a friendly run out with anyone interested.

I'm based in Worcester, so if anyone in this sort of area wants a run out with a standard observer, just let me know, and we'll try to arrange something.

At the same time, I'm always willing to travel to anyone senior to me for a run out.
Nigel

Postby rlmr » Sun Mar 19, 2006 11:04 am

Nigel wrote:At the same time, I'm always willing to travel to anyone senior to me for a run out.

According to AutoRoute its ony 357.4 miles from Worcester town centre to the centre of Cupar :wink: . But at 50 years of age I am not sure who I am senior to, if anyone :roll: .

Regards,

Rennie
rlmr

Postby JamesAllport » Sun Mar 19, 2006 10:13 pm

I'd be up for this, Nick. Days like this have worked really well to improve the driving standard of observers in my IAM group, and they're huge fun.

James
Only two things matter: attitude & entry speeds.
JamesAllport

Postby Porker » Mon Mar 20, 2006 10:24 pm

Thanks to James and Dave for volunteering their services.

So, we have three "coaches" to provide input. All we need now are some people who would like to have a pleasant day (or half day) driving in the Essex/Cambridgeshire area with the added bonus of some gentle input into their drives.

Who'd be up for that?

Nick
Porker

Postby TripleS » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:41 pm

Porker wrote:Thanks to James and Dave for volunteering their services.

So, we have three "coaches" to provide input. All we need now are some people who would like to have a pleasant day (or half day) driving in the Essex/Cambridgeshire area with the added bonus of some gentle input into their drives.

Who'd be up for that?

Nick

Hmm, I wonder....

...but no, you wouldn't want a troublemaker. :)

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby JamesAllport » Tue Mar 21, 2006 12:52 pm

...but no, you wouldn't want a troublemaker.

Oh yes we do. I'd be very interested to see you drive. I bet I'd learn something.

James
Only two things matter: attitude & entry speeds.
JamesAllport

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum