Why not?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby martine » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:22 pm

So why doesn't everyone do an Advanced Driving course?

Is it money, no interest, can't see the benefit, no time or what?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby brianhaddon » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:36 pm

My experience has been that people don't really want to learn to drive. They seem to want the convenience a licence gives them. I also think that most people don't see the need to advance their skills because they have passed THE driving test allowing them the freedom of the road. The funny thing is I encounter countless people who 'love' driving even though they are not interested in driving - if you get my drift. I think driving is a skill that requires a particular approach to do it really well and most people do not have inclination to apply themselves to that approach.
Just a thought.
Regards
Brian
brianhaddon

Postby jont » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:40 pm

It's funny, I talk to quite a lot of people who would call them "driving enthusiasts" - often sports car owners. They sounds interested when you talk about the benefits and fun side of doing it, but then say things like "I don't like the idea of someone sitting next to me criticising my driving" - event when I've explained it's a positive relationship, not a critique :roll:

The most interesting one is people who seem prepared to spend quite a lot of money on limit handling training, but not on on-road training, even if they do very few trackdays. There seems to be more interest in knowing what to do when things go wrong than preventing getting into the situation in the first place.
jont

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Fri Feb 13, 2009 2:42 pm

brianhaddon wrote:The funny thing is I encounter countless people who 'love' driving even though they are not interested in driving

In this context, 'love' driving == love speed, and the frisson of risk that goes with inappropriate speed.
Last edited by Mr Cholmondeley-Warner on Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby ROG » Fri Feb 13, 2009 3:47 pm

Give the driving public a carrot or a stick and then, and only then, will they do it.
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby ScoobyChris » Fri Feb 13, 2009 4:16 pm

I know this is a well trodden topic, but I think there are two main aspects for those with an interest in driving. Firstly everyone is an "above average" driver to start with so they don't perceive there is anything more for them to learn (at least for road driving) and secondly the image of advanced driving does little to entice someone to find out more to actively improve, imho.

For those without an interest in driving the problem is more difficult as the DSA licence is the only thing that stands between them and being able to drive. The only way I can see to get these people into advanced driving is to have periodic renewals of licences and make one of the advanced tests the basic licence-gaining test, but I'm guessing there would be a lot of opposition and political suicide ;)

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby brianhaddon » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:44 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:In this context, 'love' driving == love speed, and the frisson of risk that goes with inappropriate speed.

Not necessarily. I think it is the 'control' they get from behind the wheel (even if the reality is not quite what they think). For instance, I worked with a chap many years ago who loved driving but was an awful driver. He wasn't a speed freak or anything but his observation was bad and his approach to hazards all over the place to name but two problems. He just loved the freedom and control he got from behind the wheel but as he had passed his test wasn't interested in learning more.
And as ScoobChris wrote 'advanced driving' has not got the best press so why should he?
Regards
Brian
brianhaddon

Postby vonhosen » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:49 pm

I think when most people think of advanced driving they either visualise 'frightening speed freak' or 'boring anal geek'. It just doesn't invoke attractive images.
Any views expressed are mine & mine alone.
I do not represent my employer or these forums.
vonhosen

Postby jbsportstech » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:54 pm

The problem is the driving test is called the 'Driving Test' and some in most peoples minds they think thats it once they have that under their belt. They then drive the way they want to and because so many people do it and they don't crash every day so they must be good at it adn don't need extra training.

If there was a different speed limit for a L test driver to say an advanced driving it might help to make people further their skills. Being better and mechanically more sympathtetic to their car isn't import and sadly nor is avoiding accidents and lower their risk profiles.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby jont » Fri Feb 13, 2009 5:56 pm

vonhosen wrote:I think when most people think of advanced driving they either visualise 'frightening speed freak' or 'boring anal geek'. It just doesn't invoke attractive images.

It's a bit like road rallying. It either sounds highly tedious or highly illegal.
jont

Postby Jack Russell » Fri Feb 13, 2009 7:22 pm

The fixed idea that, most drivers consider themselves above average and everyone else an idiot!
Regards JR
Jack Russell

Postby crr003 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:18 pm

vonhosen wrote:I think when most people think of advanced driving they either visualise 'frightening speed freak' or 'boring anal geek'. It just doesn't invoke attractive images.

Right then - the badges are coming off the car! :shock:
crr003

Postby zadocbrown » Fri Feb 13, 2009 8:33 pm

Inertia has a lot to do with it. Many people tell me they 'always wanted to but never got around to it until now'. Some never do.

Getting started involves effort and initiative, and there are always competing priorities.
zadocbrown

Postby Custom24 » Fri Feb 13, 2009 10:33 pm

martine wrote:So why doesn't everyone do an Advanced Driving course?

Why doesn't everyone;

keep fit?
eat healthily?
read more?
give to charity?
contribute to their community / do voluntary work?
get to know their neighbours?
keep in touch with their families?
etc etc

For most people, it's probably low on their list of priorities.
Custom24

Postby michael769 » Sat Feb 14, 2009 11:07 pm

martine wrote:So why doesn't everyone do an Advanced Driving course?

I often hear folks who have just pased their test saying they are glad they will never have to do it again, a sentiment I shared at the time I passed mine.

I suspect that for many people the idea of voluntarily putting themselves through another driving test is something many people would want to avoid like the plague.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum