Why Meddle?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby fungus » Tue Mar 03, 2009 11:12 pm

Take a look at the links below. One shows the Canford Bottom Roundabout on the A31 linking the Wimborne and Ferndown bypasses east of Wimborne in Dorset. The other, the Roundhouse Roundabout to the west of Wimborne where the A31 and the A350 cross. Canford Bottom Roundabout used to be conventional until about two years ago when powers that be decided to meddle with it. The reason being to supposedly improve the flow of traffic on the A31. However it has done nothing of the sort. If the roundabout is busy it can be difficult to see which lane to use when joining the roundabout. Drivers not familiar with the area are often confused and end up using the wrong lane cutting across lanes at the last minute. Most locals hate the set up. One local driving instructor has complained on several occasions, but to no avail. The usual answer is that traffic flow has been improved, which is not the case. The flow, whilst not good, was better before the "improvements", At least drivers left gaps allowing traffic joining from the minor roads to join when traffic was queuing on the A31, this does not happen now.

When approaching the Roundhouse Roundabout on the A350 and folowing the road ahead, there is no indication that the A350 is the right hand lane on the roundabout. Consquently there is often conflict when drivers use both approach lanes, the one in the left lane not realising that they need the right hand lane on the roundabout. Unfortunately the image quality is not good on this photo. The A 350 runs north to south.

Why can't the authorities leave alone when something works perfectly well ?

http://i442.photobucket.com/albums/qq14 ... dabout.jpg

Nigel ADI
IAM trainee observer
fungus

Postby Horse » Wed Mar 04, 2009 9:28 am

fungus wrote: Why can't the authorities leave alone when something works perfectly well ?

Serious comment: Contact them and ask? I doubt that a council would spend money unless there was some perceived need or reason.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby AnalogueAndy » Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:32 pm

Like most local Councils Dorset have a good area on their site consulting on proposed schemes, detailing the reasons and intent:

http://www.dorsetforyou.com/index.jsp?articleid=371522

Can't spot this one on the list (which area would it be in?) I guess that may be because it's been complete for a while.
AnalogueAndy

Postby Big Err » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:30 pm

I can't get the photo links to work - help?

But I suspect before any major changes there would normally be an acknowledged problem or issue and an investigation to identify a suitable solution, which if it involved large amounts of money would require approval by the Councillors. It would be unlikely that some 'meddling' has taken place just for the sake of it.

Have you checked with the Council/Roads Authority that the scheme has been completed, or if the Contractor has vanished off site with a few missing signs etc on his snagging list?
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employers or clients.
Big Err

Postby ROG » Wed Mar 04, 2009 3:35 pm

Big Err wrote:I can't get the photo links to work - help?

Me neither
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Angus » Wed Mar 04, 2009 5:14 pm

AnalogueAndy wrote:Like most local Councils Dorset have a good area on their site consulting on proposed schemes, detailing the reasons and intent:

http://www.dorsetforyou.com/index.jsp?articleid=371522

Can't spot this one on the list (which area would it be in?) I guess that may be because it's been complete for a while.

I doubt this sort of scheme would be down to local or county council - as it's a major road junction it could be the responsibility of the highways agency. Alternatively there could have been a "junction improvement" pot in the budget that needed to be spent :roll:
Angus

Postby fungus » Wed Mar 04, 2009 6:43 pm

I can't get the link to work now. It was last night.

The area of Dorset in which these roundabouts are, is East Dorset. The scheme on the Canford Bottom Roundabout is definately completed, and if I remember correctly the Highways Agency were involved.

As for the Roundhouse Roundabout, the original layout was conventional, ie. when going ahead at 12o clock, traffic used the left hand lane, and there were no lanes marked on the roundabout. Then they tried taking the northbound traffic [ A350 ] from the right hand lane into the left hand lane just as the A31 westbound was exiting. This necessitated an abrupt lane change at a point where you would still be keeping to the right, as you had not reached the point where you would be steering left to exit. This caused problems, and most drivers continued to use the rouindabout as they had always done. This layout was soon changed to the current one, which works well, but needs advanced signage to take drivers going ahead on the A350 into the right hand lane on approach.

My experience of Dorset CCs roads dept. when I wrote to them about junction signage on a very busy junction on the A3049 Castle Lane in Bournemouth, where there were only road markings, which were often covered because of the volume of traffic on a very busy junction on the A3049 Castle Lane in Bournemouth, was that they were adequate, which they were not if you did not know the junction layout.

I would suspect that I will get a similar response when I email them about this one.

Nigel ADI
IAM trainee observer
fungus

Return to General Car Chat Forum