Driver follows sat nav over cliff.

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby jbsportstech » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:33 pm

http://news.sky.com/skynews/Home/UK-New ... on_Device_

Don't think it was his bmw think he was just driving it.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby Big Err » Wed Mar 25, 2009 4:56 pm

A bit scarey that he works as a driver, but can't tell the difference between a road and a path!
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employers or clients.
Big Err

Postby jbsportstech » Wed Mar 25, 2009 5:38 pm

Shows how switched off some people who claim to be professional drivers are while driving.

A sat nav once led up a very narrow farm track lane which was very muddy and got steeper and steeper with more mud and pot holes. I made the decision after traveling about 1500 yards that it was unsuitable for the ST and I turned around in the entrance to a field only to find another 6 cars trying to make there way through. There had been a bad accident on the motorway and people where trying alternative routes. I didnt blindly follow it to see if the mud got worse as I suspect the tarmac stopped and just mud was left.

Also had a sat lead me down a narrow lane to join a b road and found that the 200 yard section join the b road was no entry one way :shock: Don't trust sat navs they are a guide in london my tomtom lead me on a wild goose chase down a road which had a island and a bollard! No way through. Thats despite keeping my map up to date!
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby michael769 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:32 pm

I blame the Sat Nav makers.

It's that bit in the manual that says you should set aside all reasonable standards of common sense and to blindly follow it no matter how obviously wrong or illegal the instructions are, that is causing all these problems.

Oh wait.... I don't see than in my manual. :roll:
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby jont » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:40 pm

michael769 wrote:I blame the Sat Nav makers.

It's that bit in the manual that says you should set aside all reasonable standards of common sense and to blindly follow it no matter how obviously wrong or illegal the instructions are, that is causing all these problems.

Oh wait.... I don't see than in my manual. :roll:

Tell me of these manual things of which you speak... :twisted:
jont

Postby zadocbrown » Wed Mar 25, 2009 6:42 pm

I think he should be congratulated on giving the rest of us something to laugh at. Perhaps he thought he was auditioning for 'jackass'? :twisted:

Goons like him make life worth living. :lol: Whether they should be allowed to drive is another matter...........

I wonder when we'll see the first case of a driver suing their sat-nav manufacturer for directing them into the sea/up Snowdon/through the front door of 10 Downing street etc :roll:
zadocbrown

Postby Sru_1980 » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:29 pm

Wow, that's quite an achievement in itself really, not even realising you're on a footpath as opposed to a road :lol: quite amusing, me thinks..!! Thank God neither he nor anyone else was injured, or worse.

One would think he'd have thought "ang on a second...." when being directed towards a cliff edge! Thankfully, I don't have a sat nav, so I have to rely on, uh, my brain...! :roll:
Sru_1980

Postby jbsportstech » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:19 pm

zadocbrown wrote:I wonder when we'll see the first case of a driver suing their sat-nav manufacturer for directing them into the sea/up Snowdon/through the front door of 10 Downing street etc :roll:

Think most if not all have got that covered, every system I have used including my current tomtom flash up a long disclaimer everytime they are started. You have to press agree etc to that before using the unit and so I think they have considered that angle.
Regards James

jbsportstech

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Mar 26, 2009 1:56 pm

I have an "atlas". It's a paper thing, and it shows you where places are relative to each other. By following the lines on the paper (which are helpfully colour-coded to tell you what kind of road they represent) you are able to navigate from one place to another. You are always in control of your own destiny. Used in conjunction with "signs" (pieces of metal with writing on, by the side of the roads) one is able to go pretty much anywhere, without ever venturing onto a footpath...

James, now you've made it bright red, I'm afraid I'm no longer able to resist commenting on your signature...

The word is VULNERABLE with an L in the 3rd character position from the beginning!
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby ScoobyChris » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:07 pm

Although the biggest problem with a paper atlas is it's a pain to read while you're driving along and if you have a memory like mine, you need to keep stopping to refer to it, especially in rural areas where they don't have metal plates on poles :lol:

Chris (finally caved in and joined the 21st century)
ScoobyChris

Postby zadocbrown » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:24 pm

Sru_1980 wrote:Thank God neither he nor anyone else was injured, or worse.

Natural selection is a wonderful thing. :wink:

I would have been only too happy to nominate the guy for a 'Darwin award' :twisted:
zadocbrown

Postby Renny » Thu Mar 26, 2009 2:30 pm

zadocbrown wrote:
Sru_1980 wrote:Thank God neither he nor anyone else was injured, or worse.

Natural selection is a wonderful thing. :wink:

I would have been only too happy to nominate the guy for a 'Darwin award' :twisted:

Lemmings come to mind!

Now what is it folks say about BMW drivers? :lol:
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby brianhaddon » Thu Mar 26, 2009 8:43 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:Although the biggest problem with a paper atlas is it's a pain to read while you're driving along and if you have a memory like mine, you need to keep stopping to refer to it, especially in rural areas where they don't have metal plates on poles :lol:

Chris (finally caved in and joined the 21st century)

I have never used a SatNav (except on a tugboat many years ago - but that is another story) and always use a map. When I am going to a new place I write down trigger points on a card and use that. The card can be glanced at like any of the instruments - So far so good is all I'll say.
Regards
Brian
brianhaddon

Return to General Car Chat Forum