Strange Cameras have gone up! **Answered 30/04

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby jbsportstech » Mon Apr 06, 2009 12:12 pm

I have noticed over the last few weeks on several roads in Taunton that black posts where erected and now have a anpr (Type) CAMERA facing both ways. I have rung my local highways and apparently they didn't know anythign about them. They have rung me back after several enquiries and I am told they are not anpr they are cctv and are nothing to do with taunton council even though they are in taunton they are being monitored by the neighbouring town (bridgewater) council.

All seems pretty strange to me: Might be part of this http://www.sedgemoor.gov.uk/index.aspx?articleid=5052

Edited***

Last edited by jbsportstech on Thu Apr 30, 2009 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby michael769 » Mon Apr 06, 2009 4:32 pm

Could it be Trafficmaster?

Their poles are normally blue, but there are a few round my way that are grey or green so thir use of blue is not always consistent.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby AnalogueAndy » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:15 pm

jbsportstech wrote:I have noticed over the last few weeks on several roads in Taunton

Where exactly?

My money is on it's part of Somerset County Council / Taunton Deanes "Intelligent Transport System" (ITS)

An upgrade to Urban Traffic Control (UTC) and Split Cycle Offset Optimisation Technique (SCOOT) infrastructure is proposed across Taunton. These systems continually monitor traffic conditions across a network of coordinated signals, recalculate signal settings and implement any changes calculated to be beneficial. Alongside these measures, SCC/TDBC are considering methods of using existing CCTV resources to provide a quick response to traffic incidents and obstructions. Variable Message Signing (VMS) is proposed to direct vehicles to key town centre car parks.

Strange then Highways claim they know nothing about it?
AnalogueAndy

Postby Horse » Mon Apr 06, 2009 7:51 pm

Go up a stepladder, start painting the lens.

See if it's council or plod who turn up?

If council, ask them.

If plod, it might be ANPR.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Stephen » Mon Apr 06, 2009 10:09 pm

Looking at them they look very much like the dreaded ANPR cameras,which are going up around the outskirts of citys on all the main approach roads to perform what they call a ring of steel.
Stefluc
Stephen

Postby Red Herring » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:28 am

Stephen wrote:Looking at them they look very much like the dreaded ANPR cameras,which are going up around the outskirts of citys on all the main approach roads to perform what they call a ring of steel.
Stefluc

"Dreaded" ? You must know something I don't.
Red Herring

Postby Horse » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:14 am

Red Herring wrote:
Stephen wrote:Looking at them they look very much like the dreaded ANPR cameras,which are going up around the outskirts of citys on all the main approach roads to perform what they call a ring of steel.
Stefluc

"Dreaded" ? You must know something I don't.

Don't you know? :roll:

At a word of command from a white-cat-weilding madman, they're all going to come alive like 'Day of the Triffids' meets 'War of the Worlds', and rampage across our streets, trampling innocent motorists in their wake of destruction! :twisted: :shock:

Sorry, did I go off on one then? ;)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby redrobo » Tue Apr 07, 2009 11:29 am

redrobo

Postby AnalogueAndy » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:02 pm

redrobo wrote:http://www.altron.co.uk/gallery1.asp

But what use is that? Altron make the poles not the camera equipment :?
AnalogueAndy

Postby redrobo » Tue Apr 07, 2009 4:32 pm

We need the name on the side of the camera then.
However most of the products Altron supply appear to be for CCTV. Although the poles in the photos do not appear to be very tall, so suggests traffic monitoring(or speed enforcement, unlikely unless proceeded by signage))
redrobo

Postby ROG » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:33 pm

WHY does it matter what the cameras are :?:
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby jbsportstech » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:04 pm

ROG wrote:WHY does it matter what the cameras are :?:

So cameras the local highways claim to know nothing about don't concern you in the slightest? They claim cctv looks like traffic monitoring.

I am currently employed and paying tax so I would like to know why and what they have spent my money and what benefits they can forsee. As a local tax payer I think I should be told what they are, rather than make two phone calls and still have no deffenative answers.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby Rabiedmushroom » Sat Apr 11, 2009 11:03 am

Despite their function, aren't they ugly?
Yet more street furniture cluttering the roads up... :roll:
Suzy
Rabiedmushroom

Postby cmj » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:15 pm

I'm suprised you haven't been arresed under the terrorism act for taking photos of the cameras.
cmj

Postby jbsportstech » Sat Apr 18, 2009 7:53 pm

LOL :D

I did it on the way home from work and was dressed in my surveyor high viz jacket.

(*Comment removed*)
Regards James

jbsportstech

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum