IAM or RoADAR?

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby cmj » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:19 am

Hiya

This probably gets asked a lot, but I don't think it's in the FAQ. Is there any reason to go for one over the other? Both have branches nearish to me (I think the IAM one is closer), and I guess IAM is more well-known.

My main aim is to improve my driving skills and be better able to cope with hazards and situations. I passed my test just over a year ago, and while I'm sure I'm not the worst driver on the roads, I sometimes do things that I
think "that was silly of me" (to put it politely!) which is now making me think I should become a better driver and to avoid getting into such situations in the first place.

Not sure the prospect of another test is all that appealing, but I said that about the normal test and manage that (not on the first go, but I passed it).

Any advice would be welcomed.
cmj

Postby waremark » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:57 am

It is an excellent idea to work on improving your driving with either IAM or Rospa. You will become a better and safer driver, and will enjoy your driving even more.

Your question has indeed been aired before but I cannot find the relevant threads, so here goes. Others will have more to add (and will correct any errors!). Please feel free to ask any specific questions.

The tests and the preparation for them carried out by IAM and Rospa are to all intents and purposes the same. Both are looking for safe, 'systematic', smooth and swift but legal road driving. This is achieved partly through the adoption of some specific techniques, but mainly through a suitable mental approach, with a high level of concentration, observation, anticipation and planning.

The tests, the examiners (who all hold police driving qualifications), and what the examiners want to see are just about identical. Some individuals examine for both organisations.

The system of driving is based on police teaching, with Rospa expecting you to study 'Roadcraft', a police driving manual, and IAM using their own book, which covers similar ground. In both organisations you receive help to prepare for the test by taking a series of observed drives with volunteer Observers or Tutors. Some local groups also provide a series of classroom type sessions on theory.

There are more differences between different groups of each organisation, and within any one group between different Observers than there are general differences between IAM and Rospa. However, you should be aware of these general differences:

IAM is much larger and better known, is perhaps more widely recognised by insurance companies, and is currently thought to have a better member insurance scheme (though it does not seem to be very good for young drivers)

The result of an IAM test is Pass or Fail. With Rospa, a Pass is graded Bronze, Silver or Gold. You get a written report from a Rospa test, not from an IAM test.

IAM encourages members to take further driving assessments after their initial pass through a variety of schemes, but most members do not do so. Rospa on the other hand requires members to take three yearly retests, which together with the grading system encourages members to maintain and indeed improve on the standard they originally achieved.

IAM is currently much more expensive. Test preparation, the test, and one year's membership of both your local group and the national charity is £139, paid up front under the 'Skill for Life' programme. With Rospa, you join your local group to prepare for the test, then pay the test fee when you are ready. The total cost is likely to be about half the IAM fee. After passing the test, the IAM sub is £28. The Rospa sub is £20, and that includes the cost of the three yearly retests.

I suggest that you contact both your local groups, ask them how they operate, and go with the one which appeals more. Good luck and let us know how you get on.
waremark

Postby Gareth » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:01 am

Just an additional point to an otherwise complete answer :wink:

waremark wrote:After passing the test, the IAM sub is £28. The Rospa sub is £20, and that includes the cost of the three yearly retests.

These fees are for the national organisations. Typically each local group is also run as a charity affiliated to one or the other, and it will have a separate (small) membership fee. Sometimes (often) that distinction isn't clear.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby ROG » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:53 am

If you go for IAM and apply through your local group instead of direct to head office then you can get the full skill for like at the old price providing you get all the paper work done by 1st May. - I think that is £99 :?: but you might still get a further reduction if under 25 - again. if paperwork done within the next 2 weeks
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby jbsportstech » Fri Apr 17, 2009 9:03 am

I am slightly swung towards rospa but thats because my group has some excellent people in it.

In true they both offer the same sort of tuition based on roadcraft so if wanting to improve your driving skills either is suitably placed. The only way to pick between you local groups is go to both and decide which seems best placed. One thing that may swing it is lead in time for a tutor/observer as some groups will have a wait for training to start.

Ropsa is slight cheaper and you can join your local group for something like £10 and then pay for test £50 when your ready. Then as some said its £20 including your triannual retests, along with that there are 4 grades Fail, Bronze, Silver and Gold.

IAM you passed at around bronze/silver and then your a member for life. You can become an observer and be tested on a regular basis but the role is designed to coach other associates. The only other thing IAM has is it is much bigger and better known, including insurance companies but there are discounts out there for rospa members.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby crr003 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 10:13 am

ROG wrote:If you go for IAM and apply through your local group instead of direct to head office then you can get the full skill for like at the old price providing you get all the paper work done by 1st May. - I think that is £99 :?: but you might still get a further reduction if under 25 - again. if paperwork done within the next 2 weeks

You can still get the "cheap" rate online:

"We recognise that many Groups are now directing new associates to buy SfL directly from
the IAM website. To enable you to continue to do this and take advantage of the lower
pricing we have created a secure area to allow purchase at the old rates. Using the sign in
link on the website www.iam.org.uk the user name is GroupPromo and password is
Discount3004. This will expire midnight of the 30th of April 2009."
crr003

Postby martine » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:27 pm

waremark wrote:You get a written report from a Rospa test, not from an IAM test.

As of January this year IAM candidates get a written report at the end of their test.

Apart from that, Waremark summarised it very well. It's probably more important to find a group and observer/tutor you are happy with than worry about IAM or ROSPA.

The costs are different but even at £139 it's extraordinary value and still only 3 tanks of fuel for something that could save you £1000s and your life!
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby jasonh » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:33 pm

Just my two penn'orth:

I've found that IAM attracted a significant insurance discount and other discounts which Rospa don't currently match. I think IAM membership, although more expensive, has greater benefits such as the magazine and discounts.

In Derby the RoADAR group are, based on my experience and a number of others', somewhat more perfectionist than the IAM group and this can make them seem a little unfriendly at times. They aim for you to be at gold standard before they put you through to test. On a personal level though I prefer the three-yearly retest system as it is demonstrably more consistent.
IAM April 2008
jasonh

Postby ScoobyChris » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:50 pm

I've now done both and my experiences seem to boil down to the quality of the observers. My RoSPA one was keen to just get me up to Bronze (which is apparently an achievement for a first-timer :roll: ) and my IAM one was keen to draw out the drives well beyond what (imho) was necessary. Ironically, the chap who did my IAM pre-test check was actually my old RoSPA observer, but I can't have made that big an impression on him last time as he didn't make the connection :D

In terms of value for money, I think it depends on what you want to get out of it and also the type and size of the membership the group has. Neither IAM or RoSPA really have routes to improve your driving after you've passed their tests but what they provide in preparing you for the tests is a great foundation that can be built on by other organisations.

As Mark suggested above, go along to each group, have a chat with them and see which is the more appealing :D

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby ScoobyChris » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:53 pm

martine wrote:As of January this year IAM candidates get a written report at the end of their test.

Is that nationwide? I know someone who did their test last month and hasn't got a written report (or his certificate!) yet :lol:

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby jbsportstech » Fri Apr 17, 2009 12:55 pm

jasonh wrote:Just my two penn'orth:

I've found that IAM attracted a significant insurance discount and other discounts which Rospa don't currently match. I think IAM membership, although more expensive, has greater benefits such as the magazine and discounts.

In Derby the RoADAR group are, based on my experience and a number of others', somewhat more perfectionist than the IAM group and this can make them seem a little unfriendly at times. They aim for you to be at gold standard before they put you through to test. On a personal level though I prefer the three-yearly retest system as it is demonstrably more consistent.

Interesting you like the triannual retest but don't like the strive for perfection and the highest grade possible. Do your favour retesting as it would assure you that your maintaining a certain level rather than striving to give your best drive possible?

Whatever flag the groups fly the are only as good as the people they have onboard, don't be suprised that alot of members are of the older generation.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby martine » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:23 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:
martine wrote:As of January this year IAM candidates get a written report at the end of their test.

Is that nationwide? I know someone who did their test last month and hasn't got a written report (or his certificate!) yet :lol:

Chris

Yes it's nationwide - the report should be completed while still in the car and a copy handed to the candidate. I'd suggest your friend contacts IAM HQ.
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby martine » Fri Apr 17, 2009 1:33 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:Neither IAM or RoSPA really have routes to improve your driving after you've passed their tests...

It varies - in the Bristol group after passing the IAM test, 'keeners' can take our imaginatively titled: "Further Advanced Driving" course which is several lectures, driving with a Senior Obs and written and practical tests (all done in the group apart with lecturing from an Examiner) all to raise the level above what is required for an IAM pass (compulsory commentary, more in depth roadcraft knowledge and application etc).

After that some go on to do an Observer course (which is more about observing than your own driving).

Still more...a Senior Observer test is both observing and an assesment of your own driving/demonstration skills and is tested outside the group (by an IAM Staff examiner).

There's also the IAM Special Assessment which is not a test but is meant to use similar criteria to a police advanced assessment - although how you go about training for this is not clear...ask Mr. Toad!
martine

Postby ScoobyChris » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:34 pm

martine wrote:Yes it's nationwide - the report should be completed while still in the car and a copy handed to the candidate. I'd suggest your friend contacts IAM HQ.

Have you got an example report form? The examiner said he'd run out of the new forms which are triplicate and that he could make available a copy of what he'd written but it was just a page of grades (1-5?) rather than a written debrief as you'd get from a RoSPA test which is a full blown 3 or 4 page report?

May have misunderstood though....

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby jont » Fri Apr 17, 2009 2:37 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:as you'd get from a RoSPA test which is a full blown 3 or 4 page set of cut and paste quotes

/efa
I think RoSPA have a selection of phrases for each section and the examiners simply pick and chose the most apppropriate - certainly the reports I've seen have all had a large amount of commonality (it's still useful feedback, but not as personalised as you might like to hope for).
jont

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum