IAM email newsletter

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby martine » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:03 am

IAM peeps might be interested in a couple of pieces from the latest IAM email newsletter (sent this week)...

There's a revised "How to be a better driver" IAM manual - to be issued on 4th May "slightly amended to include snappier images and clearer illustrations. No changes have been made to the core principles of advanced driving"

I had no idea this was in the pipeline.

Also under a title of 'More good news for IAM members' (!)
"A high number of IAM members renew their membership using Direct Debit.This not only means they have less to organise when it comes to renewal, they also receive a £2 discount off membership - making IAM membership even greater value at £28."

Talk about spin! :twisted: So the IAM raises the membership fee by nearly 50% and then a few months later say how good it is we can get £2 off if we set up direct debit. :roll:
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby brianhaddon » Sat Apr 25, 2009 11:45 am

martine wrote:Talk about spin! :twisted: So the IAM raises the membership fee by nearly 50% and then a few months later say how good it is we can get £2 off if we set up direct debit. :roll:

Direct Debit- aargghh :evil: Another tool set for banks not customers - doesn't suit everyone. (Be Calm 1,2,3,4,5....)

Regards
Brian Haddon
brianhaddon

Postby Custom24 » Sat Apr 25, 2009 9:04 pm

martine wrote:There's a revised "How to be a better driver" IAM manual

The IAM should bin it. It's vague, and a couple of my latest associates have said "I've read it, and to be honest I thought I was doing all of it". They weren't.

Roadcraft is so much clearer.
Custom24

Postby zadocbrown » Sun Apr 26, 2009 4:29 pm

Custom24 wrote:

The IAM should bin it. It's vague, and a couple of my latest associates have said "I've read it, and to be honest I thought I was doing all of it". They weren't.

I agree.

I find too many people get the wrong end of the stick when they read the book. The classic problem being that the associate spends the time in the build up to the first run trying to avoid any firm braking, to be 'smooth'. I then spend the next few weeks bullying them to brake harder so they can enter hazards at a safe speed without driving like a granny :roll:

Of course, if people can read they can always misinterpret. But for me, roadcraft is much more to the point, and has fewer potential 'red herrings'. HTBABD is too cluttered, and too much of a personal view.
zadocbrown

Postby AnalogueAndy » Sun Apr 26, 2009 7:21 pm

martine wrote:There's a revised "How to be a better driver" IAM manual - to be issued on 4th May "slightly amended to include snappier images and clearer illustrations. No changes have been made to the core principles of advanced driving"

I had no idea this was in the pipeline.

Hi Martin,

A reliable source :wink: told me this is a ruse to save costs. Apparently this 'new' book is to be "issued" to Associates as a training manual rather than 'published' as a book which somehow costs less.

I was wondering if that means it won't be available to Joe Public in WHS Smith / Waterstones etc.
AnalogueAndy

Postby Red Herring » Mon Apr 27, 2009 9:26 am

zadocbrown wrote:
Custom24 wrote:

I agree.

I find too many people get the wrong end of the stick when they read the book. The classic problem being that the associate spends the time in the build up to the first run trying to avoid any firm braking, to be 'smooth'. I then spend the next few weeks bullying them to brake harder so they can enter hazards at a safe speed without driving like a granny :roll:

Of course, if people can read they can always misinterpret. But for me, roadcraft is much more to the point, and has fewer potential 'red herrings'. HTBABD is too cluttered, and too much of a personal view.

No sure about the Red Herring bit....I hoped there was only one!

On a serious note I understand the new book is deliberately designed to go into less depth to avoid candidates trying to be to descriptive, the classic "the book says I must do exactly this" syndrome. The IAM want the book to set out some principals but recognize that every circumstance is different and are keen to encourage opportunity for associates/observers to discuss options and work out solutions for themselves. The example given above about braking is an example of where the associate thought they had enough information from the book to decide what is right, rather than the book just prompting the recognition of a principal. To write the definitive guide on how to brake smoothly, going into all the associated observation/planning links, the physical act of operating the pedal etc etc would take pages, if not chapters. All they want the book to do is for the associate to know they should be braking smoothly.

With regards to the publishing issues I understand the IAM are going to publish it themselves to avoid some overheads (cut out the middle man so to speak) and they believe the loss in circulation terms (it won't be on the shelf at Waterstones) will not exceed the savings. Their argument is that this kind of book is something you go out and order rather then something you just come across whilst browsing in WH Smith and decide to buy.
Red Herring

Return to General Car Chat Forum