Mistakes made by the DVLA

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby fungus » Mon May 04, 2009 9:04 pm

Has anyone seen the article on BBCs watchdog programme, in which they were highlighting the problems that some drivers have had when re-newing their driving licences?

In some cases various entitlements had been removed from the licence, eg. lorry drivers having their LGV entitlement omitted on the new licence. In one case a man recieved his new licence with all details correct, except one. The photo card had the photo of a woman on it. In another a lady checked her licence after seeing the original article last week, only to find that the licence expired the day before the date of issue. She had technically been driving illegaly. One man had his motorcycle entitlement removed, and had to do CBT, and then pass a test, despite having ridden larger bikes legally for a number of years.

The problem is that you have to surrender your original licence, which is then destroyed by the DVLA. You then have to prove that you are entitled to the licence if a mistake is made. which is difficult if it has been destroyed. One lady, who had passed her test 42 years ago, still had her original red book licence. The DVLA would not recognise it and she had to take a driving test, which she failed.

The BBC took her, and another lady to the DVLA in Swansea. No fliming was done inside the DVLA, but when both ladies emerged, they had both been given their licences back.

Moral of the story. Photo copy everything that you have to surrender when dealing with a government dept.

Nigel ADI
IAM trainee observer
fungus

Postby jbsportstech » Tue May 05, 2009 8:27 am

Yes its scary.

I have to update the photo on mine in the next year so I will be taken photos of my licence and photo copies. I had a pass cert which I sent to them but apparently after 10 years they bin them. So if you have had your licence more than 10 years its dam difficult to prove. I still have my test report at home though but 10/1 dvla don't regconise that. I am hoping they add a catergory to my licence there was one guy who had bike added but had never been on one.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby Renny » Tue May 05, 2009 9:19 am

I now copy my licence before I send it back to Swansea. A mate lost his bike entitlement because of a DVLA error and has to start again :roll:
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby Angus » Tue May 05, 2009 12:41 pm

I had been lead to understand that the default for replacement licences is the same as if you pass your test today - ie weight limit 3.5 tonne instead of 7.5, 9 seats instead of 16, towing restrictions etc.

Which seems strange as surely all our detail are on their database :?: Sorry, I should have realised, this is a government agency :lol:
Angus

Postby Octy_Ross » Tue May 05, 2009 1:27 pm

Don't be silly, all the details are on a CD...on a train heading to Inverness :-/
Octy_Ross

Postby fungus » Tue May 05, 2009 6:13 pm

I still have the green paper licence, so unless I add other categories to my licence, change address, or commit driving offences, I have no intention of submitting it to the DVLA. No agist comments thank you.

Nigel ADI
IAM trainee observer
fungus

Postby Horse » Tue May 05, 2009 8:10 pm

Sadly, not a new problem. Had, about 20 years ago, an HGV driver who'd 'lost' his bike and HGV entitlements during a house move.

A recent case in Motorcycle News was a police mechanic who has his licence inspected every year. Move house (or whatever) and no bike entitlement. Would DVLA take his employer's word (and photocopies) for it? Guess.
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Gingerpose » Wed May 06, 2009 6:29 am

I had to apply for a replacement digital tachograph card recently, as mine became defective. Yesterday it arrived. Along with another card meant for someone else! Now if I wasn't the type to post it to him (luckily the address is on the letter which the card somes attached to) he would suffer some serious inconvenience without the card. I've emailed the DVLA about this, will be interesting to see their response.

Regards

Ainslie
Gingerpose

Postby jbsportstech » Wed May 06, 2009 8:40 am

The thing that got me about the watchdog dvla spokesman said in a recent check of their system there was 100% accuracy.. :shock: I don't know any business of that size who can claim 100% accuracy... I think the IAM Rep hit the nail on the head the DVLA are being very arrogant. I heard back in 2003-2004 their data was found to be 74% correct, that sounds more like it.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Postby MAG man » Wed May 13, 2009 11:10 pm

My wife works for a car garage which was sent a fine for innaccurate record keeping (on some minor infringement). She wrote back enclosing a copy of an article highlighting the fact that their records were 30% innaccurate and when they were 100% accurate she'd pay the fine. Never heard from them again.

I keep a scanned copy of my licence on the computer.
MAG man

Postby waremark » Thu May 14, 2009 12:35 am

On my old paper license I have Groups A, E. A seems to be virtually everything (full license since 1972). What am I entitled to and what do I have to ask for when I try to obtain a modern license (the piece of paper is on its last legs)? Grateful for any info.
waremark

Postby crr003 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:44 am

waremark wrote:On my old paper license I have Groups A, E. A seems to be virtually everything (full license since 1972). What am I entitled to and what do I have to ask for when I try to obtain a modern license (the piece of paper is on its last legs)? Grateful for any info.

I've got:
B
BE
C1
C1E
D1
D1E
fklnp
crr003

Postby kfae8959 » Thu May 14, 2009 12:47 am

Mark,

I haven't looked into this, and the category designations may have changed. I traded in my paper licence (I passed in 1994) when I moved eighteen months ago, and have got categories B, BE, C1, C1E, D, D1E, and provisional permission to drive categories A, G, and H.

The card bit of my licence also has lower case letters fklnp, but neither document tells me what they mean. I'm about to move again, so we'll see what happens...

David
"A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information"
kfae8959

Postby ScoobyChris » Thu May 14, 2009 8:33 am

kfae8959 wrote:The card bit of my licence also has lower case letters fklnp, but neither document tells me what they mean. I'm about to move again, so we'll see what happens...

Full details of categories here:

http://www.licencecheck.co.uk/category_codes.php

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby ScoobyChris » Thu May 14, 2009 8:35 am

waremark wrote:On my old paper license I have Groups A, E. A seems to be virtually everything (full license since 1972). What am I entitled to and what do I have to ask for when I try to obtain a modern license (the piece of paper is on its last legs)? Grateful for any info.

I got a photocard licence (on a whim :roll: ) in 2000 and didn't have to ask for any categories as far as I remember... As you passed before 1997 when categories started to drop off, I'd expect you to be given the categories mentioned by crr003, which is what they automagically gave me.

Chris
ScoobyChris

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum