Eco-towns and parking

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Porker » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:45 pm

Porker

Postby jont » Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:52 pm

I don't get it. They've seen on new developments for years that reducing the amount of parking each house has only clutters up the surrounding streets as people aren't prepared to give up their cars :roll: I can see the farmers making a fortune charging "only" 6k to let people park in their fields :lol:
jont

Postby MGF » Wed Jul 15, 2009 8:40 pm

I imagine you wont be allowed to park on the streets at all. Of course if you don't want to give up your car or at least park it on the edge of town you wont move there will you? In other words the sort of people who live there wont be worried by the restrictions.

You need planning permission to rent parking spaces so any attempt to profit from creating unoffical car parks will easily be thwarted.
MGF

Postby PeterE » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:36 am

So how does a plumber or a service engineer make a call to a house in an eco-town? :?
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby michael769 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 11:47 am

PeterE wrote:So how does a plumber or a service engineer make a call to a house in an eco-town? :?

Or indeed bulky deliveries and bin lorries.

Practically they will need to make vehicular access possible. Which means that unless whatever restrictions are put in place to prevent/deter car use are enforced - people will just ignore the restrictions.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby Sru_1980 » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:26 pm

Might as well just ban cars altogether, and while we're at it, ban computers, air travel, cows......oh, n lightbulbs, batteries, ink cartridges - everything, really :roll:
Sru_1980

Postby TripleS » Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:53 pm

Sru_1980 wrote:Might as well just ban cars altogether, and while we're at it, ban computers, air travel, cows......oh, n lightbulbs, batteries, ink cartridges - everything, really :roll:

Ban (insert long string of expletives at this point) governments then. It's the only answer.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby fungus » Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:15 pm

Definately won't move to one.

Knowing what this government is like, they would introduce punitive measures to make it unatractive not to live in an eco town if only they had the time to pass the neccessary ligislation, which fortunately they don't. :lol:

Nigel ADI
IAM trainee observer
fungus

Postby MiniClubmanEstate » Tue Jul 21, 2009 6:45 pm

But don't forget the bother us private hire coach drivers have with parking.

Eco Option 1. Make parking available where ever it is safe, charge if council wishes, this allows a coach to stop and shut down its engine for a while.

Option 2 (Current). Prohibit parking virtually everywhere in the city centre, employ an army of traffic wardens to ensure that coaches cannot stop despite there being a safe location for parking which would not obstruct other road users and ensure that we have lots of empty coaches driving around in circles until all their tourists have been collected. This option causes congestion as there are 40ft coaches unnecessarily driving around the busy city centre inconveniencing everybody else by contributing to congestion and emissions. I think that my coach generates substantially more emissions when it is switched on and moving due to being unable to park compared to sitting safely parked with the engine switched off.

The above is just Edinburgh, that eco town is my idea of hell!.
Andrew: PCV, IAM Car
Smoky - Pronounced as Smokey, a unique little Mini.
MiniClubmanEstate

Return to General Car Chat Forum