Fuel prices

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Angus » Wed Jul 22, 2009 9:45 pm

I note that petrol and diesel are now the same price, instead of diesel being about 7p/litre more expensive.

Any one know why?
Angus

Postby Ynot » Wed Jul 22, 2009 10:53 pm

Don't know the answer, but I did spot a garage yesterday where unleaded was 2p per litre more than diesel. :shock:
Ynot

Postby Octy_Ross » Thu Jul 23, 2009 8:31 am

Could it be the demand for diesel is down ?

My understanding of the reason behind high prices was the low capacity for production in this country, coupled with high and increasing demand pushed the price up.

If the LGV's aren't doing as much LGVing and there are more people out of work, then demand for fuel will fall - as the demand for goods in shops falls.
Octy_Ross

Postby michael769 » Thu Jul 23, 2009 1:41 pm

Octy_Ross wrote:Could it be the demand for diesel is down ?

My understanding of the reason behind high prices was the low capacity for production in this country, coupled with high and increasing demand pushed the price up.

My understanding was that UK capacity for refining was below the demand for diesil and we were importing a lot from Europe which pushed up the cost, but that work was underway to increase refinery capacity. Perhaps that new capacity has come onstream?

There is an annual cycle to diesil vs petrol prices. In the winter demand for heating oil (which uses a similar heavy fraction) pushes the cost of the heavier crudes up, while in summer the US "driving season" pushes the cost of the lighter curdes up.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby TripleS » Sat Jul 25, 2009 6:13 pm

Octy_Ross wrote:Could it be the demand for diesel is down ?

If the LGV's aren't doing as much LGVing and there are more people out of work, then demand for fuel will fall - as the demand for goods in shops falls.

I expect those factors will affect the issue, but it's mainly down to my increased focus on economy driving, which I'm doing mainly to please Martine. :lol:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby martine » Sat Jul 25, 2009 9:04 pm

TripleS wrote:...but it's mainly down to my increased focus on economy driving, which I'm doing mainly to please Martine. :lol:

:twisted:
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby TripleS » Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:25 am

martine wrote:
TripleS wrote:...but it's mainly down to my increased focus on economy driving, which I'm doing mainly to please Martine. :lol:

:twisted:

Eco driving is the future - well, part of the time. I do not believe it should be dismissed totally; either on an 'advanced driving' basis, or any other.

....but I don't want a car that decides for itself to switch off the engine when stopped for more than 3.4 seconds etc., or whatever it is = so Audi can get stuffed with their stop-start technology. :evil:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby ScoobyChris » Sun Jul 26, 2009 4:44 pm

TripleS wrote:so Audi can get stuffed with their stop-start technology. :evil:

Is that not BMW? :)

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby jont » Sun Jul 26, 2009 5:49 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:

They're all at it these days. I know BMW do, and I've seen Audi adverts mentioning it recently too. Pretty sure it's the only way to meet EU regs that will be brought in eventually,
jont

Postby moncainthewilds » Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:53 pm

For those who don't know visit www.petrolprices.com and you can find out the cheapest fuel in your area or wherever you may be driving.

Monica :)
moncainthewilds

Postby Renny » Mon Jul 27, 2009 9:59 am

michael769 wrote: My understanding was that UK capacity for refining was below the demand for diesil and we were importing a lot from Europe which pushed up the cost, but that work was underway to increase refinery capacity. Perhaps that new capacity has come onstream?

There is an annual cycle to diesil vs petrol prices. In the winter demand for heating oil (which uses a similar heavy fraction) pushes the cost of the heavier crudes up, while in summer the US "driving season" pushes the cost of the lighter curdes up.

That's what I thought as well.
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby TripleS » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:34 am

jont wrote:
ScoobyChris wrote:

They're all at it these days. I know BMW do, and I've seen Audi adverts mentioning it recently too. Pretty sure it's the only way to meet EU regs that will be brought in eventually,

We need to get rid of the EU then, or at least stop accepting their nonsense. If that means the UK withdraws from the EU, so be it.

....and in the meantime we should stop buying the products of companies that co-operate with this crap.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby MGF » Mon Jul 27, 2009 11:33 am

We need to validate the 'nonsense' in the media before making any rash decisions about where we spend our money. As far as CO2 targets are concerned they go further than the EU as we have signed up to international treaties that commit us to reducing these. That is the root of the problem. The EU's role should be to ensure that member states aren't put at a disadvantage by complying with meeting these targets when other member states may not be.
MGF

Postby PeterE » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:01 pm

TripleS wrote:....but I don't want a car that decides for itself to switch off the engine when stopped for more than 3.4 seconds etc., or whatever it is = so Audi can get stuffed with their stop-start technology. :evil:

AIUI these systems can be manually disabled if you want.

And does anyone know if the engine still switches off if the aircon compressor is operating, as surely that would flatten the battery in short order?
"No matter how elaborate the rules might be, there is not a glimmer of hope that they can cover the infinite variation in real driving situations." (Stephen Haley, from "Mind Driving")
PeterE

Postby jont » Mon Jul 27, 2009 1:22 pm

PeterE wrote:And does anyone know if the engine still switches off if the aircon compressor is operating, as surely that would flatten the battery in short order?

Usually the compressor is driven off the crank (via a belt/pulleys) in the same way as the alternator, so if the engine isn't turning, the air-con compressor won't be either. More interesting will be in winter when you've got headlights, demisters etc etc. You would hope with the modern electronics in cars they can monitor battery voltage/drain and restart the engine before it gets too flat to crank properly.
jont

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum