How to recruit associates to the IAM/ROSPA

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby martine » Fri Jul 31, 2009 2:49 pm

My Bristol IAM group (not mine personally of course but the one I belong to!)...normally recruits around 100 associates onto the 'Skill for Life' course per year. We run 4 courses annually and have noticed the last 2 have much reduced numbers (as in 13 and 9 :shock: ).

This may be partly due to the recession compounded by the IAM price increase but is also continuation of long-term trend over several years - albeit accelerated. :(

I'm after ideas from other IAM/ROSPA groups about how to spread the word and what's effective. Brain-storming is allowed - so any wacky ideas (even if not proven) would be most welcome.

What works for your group?

What might work?

How do we attract younger drivers?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby ROG » Fri Jul 31, 2009 4:21 pm

We have tried just about everything and it was all a waste of time.

Seems like drivers in my area will only do it if they search for improvement on an individual basis where they do an internet search for example.
Advertising does not work for us.

Now, if the National IAM/ROSPA was to do a TV advert and convince the public that they WILL save money on cheaper insurance then that may work - pushing the 'safe' driving issue is unlikely to work - no instant direct money saving involved !!!
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Octy_Ross » Fri Jul 31, 2009 7:53 pm

make it fun - not all about boring speed limits and un-interesting facts and figures. that's boring - going down a road faster and safer than your mates is interesting....take out the boring pedantry!!

Stop being so anal about exceeding speed limits on open roads - I know this is a legal issue, but using the system properly will ensure you're always at a safe speed, so why be so pedantic about a number on a tin ? Some people I know won't even entertain going to IAM 'because they make you stick to speed limits out of town'.

There are many people who want to be better drivers, some people I talk to believe it will be

a) very expensive
b) very time consuming
c) [too] difficult to achieve
d) boring

My local IAM chief has asked the same question recently - how do we get younger people interested - my response - put them in the car with the youngest, best driver who can at least keep up with the slang and not be 'some old fart in a flat cap'

In general though, I agree with ROG, it needs to be someone interested in driving to get started with.

Ross.

P.S. I have 2 flat caps and love 'em both ;-) :-)
Octy_Ross

Postby Gareth » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:10 pm

I think it's hard to answer your question without first identifying the groups of people who are more likely to become interested in advanced driving. I can think of three such groups although maybe others here will disagree, perhaps vehemently.

I think the first two groups are obvious, they being people who have had a scare and want to improve their driving, and people who have had a brush with the law and it's troubled them. A third might be those who are enthusiastic drivers and want to become better drivers.

Now I think of it, I can identify a couple more groups. One is widows whose husband always used to drive them everywhere, and now they're left to fend for themselves or, perhaps more generally, nervous and inexperienced drivers. The other is young people who have had to grow up after they've started a family, and the responsibility of carting their youngsters around is preying on their minds.

martine wrote:What might work?

In most of the groups I've identified, letting them know that there is something that can help resolve the issues about driving that bother them. I don't know how this could be managed at minimal cost though.

martine wrote:How do we attract younger drivers?

I'm not sure that's possible, by and large, for organisations that feel the need to be seen to obey the law. A lot of it depends on how young ... Of course some will be old beyond their years and have a larger measure of social responsibility, but the ones most at risk are the ones that choose most obviously to indulge in risky behaviour. It might be possible to sell them on the idea that it is possible to be a more skilful driver, and that driving well can be fun.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Custom24 » Fri Jul 31, 2009 8:42 pm

I think Gareth missed a group, which are those people who have newly passed the L test, and are not that confident.

That's the group I was in when I found the IAM in the ads section of the DSA magazine they sent me when I passed my L test.

edit - Or maybe that is the same as Gareth's "widow" group...
Custom24

Postby moncainthewilds » Fri Jul 31, 2009 9:24 pm

I think it is important to let youngsters know that it will not cost a fortune to continue to improve their driving. Having spent a fortune (to them) on driving lessons, their first thought is how much does it cost and what benefits financially will I get. Until Insurance companies understand what IAM and RoADAR do and will give a reseanable discount for members it is hard graft getting youngsters to join. Only those or families who are interested in driving will take up memebership.

As for adults one tack I have had some success from is to compare it to updating their information/training for their work. If you have to do that for your job why not for driving?

Monica
North Wilts RoADAR
moncainthewilds

Postby Gareth » Sat Aug 01, 2009 10:17 am

Re-reading what I wrote yesterday, I think the selling points are different for different groups of people.

For many, selling the idea of a refresher course to brush up their skills might be enough. Don't need to say anything about taking an advanced driving test, don't even need to mention 'advanced' driving. As long as people are taught, and encouraged to practice, the principles of good driving then society has a win. The advanced driving tests could be suggested later as the opportunity to demonstrate what they've learned.

For nervous drivers the idea of learning the skills to be able to drive more confidently will (probably) be what attracts them the most. Nervous drivers will tend (or tended) to rely on others for their transport needs, so selling the idea of freedom as a benefit of the increased confidence will help as well. Again the word 'advanced' doesn't need to be included in the initial sell, but can be introduced later once they have started.

Many people don't enjoy driving, find it nerve wracking and so on making them tense drivers but who otherwise feel competent. Emphasizing that their skill can be developed to help them be more relaxed in the car, perhaps by explaining a little about better observation and the interpretation about what is going on, and how that will lead to more time to make decisions, better decisions, resulting in less stressful journeys.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby Custom24 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:50 pm

To the OP, which of the following have you tried;

Setting up stands at car/motor shows - we (Oxford) have done this, but the interest has been poor and I think the conversion rate low.

Advertising in local paper, or in local "what's on" website when you are running an event for non-members - I don't think we've done this, largely because I don't think we run any events for non-members (eg a Drive Check day), although we probably should.

Engaging with the local police and/or road safety team.

I don't know - other traditional methods, such as leaflets through letterboxes, town crier :lol: I guess the problem is you need to make it targeted to be cost effective.

I know you ran the IAM day recently where you seemed to have a good relationship with local car dealers. Have you exploited that relationship to try to attract new members?

I still think the problem is that some people have never heard of "advanced driving". So the Internet, as for many things, is only good if you know what you are looking for.
Custom24

Postby daz6215 » Sat Aug 01, 2009 7:55 pm

I sell RoSPA to loads on speed awareness courses :twisted:
daz6215

Postby x-Sonia-x » Sat Aug 01, 2009 8:15 pm

I passed my test last Sept, my 10th one!! My driving instructor told me to do pass plus soon after I passed which i did. He also has suggested that I should join IAM, which is why im on here lol!!! Surely the best way to inform people of the benefits is when they are learning. I certainly would not of heard of IAM if my instructor had not advised it.

I personally think its much harder to recruit drivers who have been driving for years, in fact in the Mail today there is an article saying that 50% of drivers who have been driving for more than 10 years would not pass their test today. Which is even more reason for them to be doing these sort of courses :)
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby ROG » Sun Aug 02, 2009 8:03 am

x-Sonia-x wrote: in fact in the Mail today there is an article saying that 50% of drivers who have been driving for more than 10 years would not pass their test today. Which is even more reason for them to be doing these sort of courses

Did the Mail mention IAM or ROSPA ? - I'll bet they didn't.........
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby x-Sonia-x » Sun Aug 02, 2009 11:51 am

Nope, coz they didnt!!!!!!!!! It really quite amazes me the system we have. One 40 minute test decides whether you are capable of driving, safely and competently for the rest of your life. Surely there is a need to make it compulsary every 5 or 10 years to do a refresher/advanced course??? This is of course just my own personal opinion :)
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby ROG » Sun Aug 02, 2009 1:26 pm

x-Sonia-x wrote:Surely there is a need to make it compulsary every 5 or 10 years to do a refresher/advanced course??? This is of course just my own personal opinion

The DfT/DSA are starting to come around to this way of thinking but there is a problem - for any Government to introduce it would be a vote-loser !!!!
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Darren » Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:18 pm

ROG wrote:
x-Sonia-x wrote:Surely there is a need to make it compulsary every 5 or 10 years to do a refresher/advanced course??? This is of course just my own personal opinion

The DfT/DSA are starting to come around to this way of thinking but there is a problem - for any Government to introduce it would be a vote-loser !!!!

Maybe, but there are hundreds of other things the government has done that aren't popular - e.g. I would have liked to have been consulted before my tax money was used to bail out the banks and put this country into tremendous debt.
Darren

Postby fungus » Sun Aug 02, 2009 3:10 pm

As ROG said for any government to inroduce compulsory re testing every few years would be a vote loser given that most drivers consider their licence as a right, and are basicaly not interested in improvement. Most are not interested in driving, only as a means of getting from A to B. We also have the problem that certain "safety and environmental campaigners" see anyone who is a keen driver, as a petrolhead who tears around the countryside causing mayhem and carnage, and these groups can be quite vociferous and effective in getting their arguement across. How many times do you see a pro motoring group getting media coverage? The only way to interest more drivers in improving their standard is incentives, but what ?

Maybe restrict new drivers to vehicles of under a certain power range untill further training is taken. Or perhaps a system like the variable speed limits for different types vehicles could apply, where drivers who have completed further training could be allowed to drive more powerfull vehicles and use higher speeds on NSL roads, but that would be nigh on impossible to police.

The DSA introduced Pass Plus a few years ago, but have since admitted that it has been a failure. In their defence I would say that there is actualy nothing wrong with the scheme. In fact it can bring considerable benefits in reduced insurance premiums for those that take it. The average 17/18 year old just see it as more expense, and more learning, in which they are not interested, no matter how you extol the benefits, either financially, or from the safety aspect. As an ADI, I and many others teach most of what is covered in the Pass Plus scheme, with the exception of motorway driving, (theory incorporated into theory test questions), adverse weather, and night driving, both of which are covered if the oportunity arises, but otherwise in theory.

Nigel ADI
IAM trainee observer
fungus

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum