Roadside clutter. One for Dave, (Tripple S).

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby fungus » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:23 pm

Have Powys C C gone mad? :roll:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/mid/8176468.stm

No need to bragg ROG, I still can't get the hang of this copying and posting.

Nigel ADI
IAM trainee observer
fungus

Postby Big Err » Tue Aug 18, 2009 12:38 pm

I'm sure a few more signs could be added!
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employers or clients.
Big Err

Postby Angus » Tue Aug 18, 2009 9:22 pm

Big Err wrote:I'm sure a few more signs could be added!

I did wonder about a sign for the bridge, but then noticed the obscured triangle on the left......

What's the history here? To have the count down signs on a fairly open piece of road suggests a major accident through negligence or the locals ignore the restriction?
Angus

Postby ScoobyChris » Tue Aug 18, 2009 10:24 pm

Angus wrote:What's the history here? To have the count down signs on a fairly open piece of road suggests a major accident through negligence or the locals ignore the restriction?

From the photo I'd guess the problem is people ignoring the speed limit change and encountering oncoming vehicles on the narrow (and from the looks of it poorly sighted) bridge?

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby Gareth » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:44 am

Possibly also the bend after the bridge is tighter than many realise, so when the cars go light on the far side of the bridge they also drift into the opposing lane.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby brianhaddon » Wed Aug 19, 2009 2:32 pm

There's also the national speed limit signs for the junction to the left that some people may see instead of the 40s. But I intially wondered why countdown signs were needed for such an open road. Also the photo may not give the best perspective.
Regards
Brian Haddon
brianhaddon

Postby TripleS » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:10 pm

fungus wrote:Have Powys C C gone mad? :roll:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/mid/8176468.stm

No need to bragg ROG, I still can't get the hang of this copying and posting.

Nigel ADI
IAM trainee observer

I'd be inclined to put the 40 mph limit start point where the 300 yard countdown marker is currently placed, and move the NSL signs further down the side road so that they don't give anybody on the main road the wrong impression, and leave it at that.

....and BTW, please could we avoid references to tripple - which is too close to tipple - and I ought not to be encouraged thus. :roll:

Best wishes all,
Dave - alias TripleS - one p, no space. Thank you. :P
Last edited by TripleS on Mon Aug 31, 2009 7:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
TripleS

Postby fungus » Thu Aug 20, 2009 11:31 am

Sorry Dave,

Nigel ADI
IAM trainee observer
fungus

Postby TripleS » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:09 pm

fungus wrote:Sorry Dave,

Nigel ADI
IAM trainee observer

That's OK, Nigel. :)

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby redrobo » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:30 pm

Angus wrote:
Big Err wrote:I'm sure a few more signs could be added!

I did wonder about a sign for the bridge, but then noticed the obscured triangle on the left......

What's the history here? To have the count down signs on a fairly open piece of road suggests a major accident through negligence or the locals ignore the restriction?

The obscured triangle is for the junction to the left.
The lining has been removed from the narrowed bridge, takes away right of way and drivers more inclined to give up space.
redrobo

Postby Big Err » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:50 pm

I'm guessing, but I think the speed limit has been extended here, and that the original position for the limit was where the red surfacing is after the bridge?

Whoever extended the speed limit probably threw in the countdown markers as just "one of those things you do" :roll:

I'm suprised there are no chevron markers on the bridge parapets. It's also a bit strange how the street lights stop where the 40 begins. I the photo shows the road going from an NSL to a 40, and not from a 30 into a 40 :shock:

The position of the NSL signs on the side road are in the mix with the mainline 40s - does look a bit confusing.
Opinions expressed are mine and not necessarily those of my employers or clients.
Big Err

Postby Gareth » Thu Aug 20, 2009 12:55 pm

redrobo wrote:The lining has been removed from the narrowed bridge, takes away right of way and drivers more inclined to give up space.

Are you certain? When I saw it I thought the bridge was probably too narrow to have a centre line marking.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby 7db » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:46 pm

Guidance from DfT on countdown markers is that they should only be used where the limit change is obscured.

I guess the obscured triangle is for the left-hand junction with the NSL rather than the bridge.
7db

Postby Renny » Mon Aug 31, 2009 12:16 pm

Imagine trying to fit all those signs into your commentary!

Worse still, an observer asking "What was the last sign we passed?" :lol:
Renny
MM0KOZ
MSA Scrutineer (Note: Any comments posted here are my own views and not those of the MSA)
BMW 118d Sport Image
Land Rover Discoveryhttp://www.disco3.co.uk
Lotus Elise S2 http://www.scottishelises.com

Renny

Postby fungus » Mon Aug 31, 2009 5:04 pm

7db wrote,
Guidance from DfT on countdown markers is that they should only be used where the limit change is obscured.

On the A354 between Salisbury & Blandford there is a change of speed limit from NSL to 30mph. The change is just out of sight around a fast right hand bend, and about 150yds. from the entrance to the village of Pimperne, which due to the hight of the hedges is not visible. There are no count down markers, and the first warning of a change is usualy the brake lights of the vehicles in front, as they round the bend and see the limit change. This is a classic case of the need for count down markers, but Dorset Highways Dept. does not seem to use them. The only one I know for in the county is on the A357 between Blandford & Stalbridge, approaching a blind summit.

I have noticed that Devon & Cornwall use them though.

Nigel ADI
IAM trainee observer
fungus

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum