Clock Change

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby daz6215 » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:26 pm

this is a snippet from an article I was reading earlier

drivers should note that the clocks move back one hour this weekend.

This means it will be darker earlier in the evenings.

This is expected to lead to a greater number of crashes as drivers head for home after work next week.

As a result, the Royal Society for the Prevention of Accidents is calling on drivers to take more care, especially as pedestrians and cyclists will be harder to see.

The safety charity is also continuing to press for the introduction of a system that would give an extra hour of daylight in the evening all year round.

RoSPA has been calling for many years for the UK to move to a system called “Single Double Summer Time” (SDST), which would put the clocks one hour ahead of Greenwich Mean Time (GMT) in winter and two hours ahead of GMT in summer.

watch yourself out there folks!
daz6215

Postby Porker » Sun Oct 25, 2009 9:45 pm

The ABD did a fairly comprehensive study of the effect of BST on casualty rates and found that, contrary to what might be expected, it had little to no effect on casualty rates.

regards
P.
Porker

Postby TripleS » Sun Oct 25, 2009 11:10 pm

Porker wrote:The ABD did a fairly comprehensive study of the effect of BST on casualty rates and found that, contrary to what might be expected, it had little to no effect on casualty rates.

regards
P.

IIRC we tried retaining summer time rather than changing to GMT during one winter round about 1970, and it proved immensely unpopular partly due to children having to go to school in the dark, and that's without the added problem for people in Scotland where it gets light later anyhow.

....and what benefit is an extra hour of daylight in summer, when it stays light anyhow up to at least 10.00 p.m.?

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby michael769 » Mon Oct 26, 2009 8:06 pm

Porker wrote:The ABD did a fairly comprehensive study of the effect of BST on casualty rates and found that, contrary to what might be expected, it had little to no effect on casualty rates.

regards
P.

Do you have a source for that? It does not match with my experience of the insurance industry. And this ABD press release seems to contradict that stance.

Insurers see a statistically significant increase in accidents of 15% the week the clocks go back - though the overall accident rate is still better then that or December of January (Source). The worst month for injury accidents is November (Source).

(For the worst individual days, none of which are in Oct/Nov See here)
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby Porker » Mon Oct 26, 2009 11:20 pm

I don't have the analysis to hand, but I'll certainly see if I can get a copy.

P.
Porker

Return to General Car Chat Forum