The Bill - PC Tony Stamp - Hendon

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby AnalogueAndy » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:24 pm

A question for ex Hendon amongst us :wink:

I've not seen The Bill for ages but apparently the character PC Tony Stamp is leaving (has left) Sun Hill to join Hendon as a driving instructor.

I seem to remember many many years ago they followed him at Hendon doing what they called then the 'area car course' (response?) but as far as I'm aware he never did his 'advanced'.

Plus a story running through the series (also a good few years ago) related to him running over and killing someone (whilst reversing up a one-way street), he was charged but found not guilty.

Interesting since the actor who play's Tony, Graham Cole, did the commentary on the early 'Police, Camera, Action' videos and I believe is a member of the IAM.

..yes I know The Bill bears no relation to real-life in the Met (they solve crimes on The Bill :lol: ) but would PC Stamp get a job as an Instructor at Hendon in 'real-life'?? What 'qualifications' and 'driving record' do the instructors need to have?
AnalogueAndy

Postby TripleS » Mon Nov 16, 2009 9:42 am

I can't answer your question, but we used to watch The Bill regularly and I remember the reversing incident. We were sorry to learn that Graham Cole was to leave the programme. I saw him on a TV chat show or interview some time back and he seemed to be an extremely pleasant guy, and we wish him well.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Horse » Mon Nov 16, 2009 11:14 am

No idea, to the OP's Q.

But watching one of the 'police driving' shows on Dave recently, there was a . . . more mature . . . 'stockily-built' police officer interviewed.

Both the Filly and I said "It's Tony Stamp!" :)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby AnalogueAndy » Mon Nov 16, 2009 4:38 pm

Thanks Dave :D
AnalogueAndy

Postby jbsportstech » Mon Nov 23, 2009 8:40 pm

StressedDave wrote:The 'area car' course was the Advanced car course and there are plenty of PC instructors at Hendon, not all of whom have served with Traffic, so it's entirely possible that Sun Hill's finest could get a posting there.

I agree I know going back a abit to when people like chris gilbert started most of the advanced instructors (Not just standard response) where mostly sergents, as back when Derick Van-Petgem was there in the 70's he was the only PC advanced instructor. I am told he because he was so talented but that was by some who speaks of him very highly.
Regards James

To the average driver 'safe' is not having accidents. To an advanced driver 'safe' is not being vulnerable to an accident.
jbsportstech

Return to General Car Chat Forum