Solid white edge lines on left of carriageway

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby ROG » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:26 am

In the bike forum, which not all visit, a question has arised in THIS TOPIC

Are solid white edge lines on the left of the carriageway a legal 'must not cross' except in emergency etc or not ?

Forget looking in the Highway Code - no info there except a picture :roll:
ROG

Postby ExadiNigel » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:59 am

It simply marks the edge of the carriageway. If you wish to cross it to enter the hedge you may! :D

Interestingly (or not) some councils break the line up at field entrances and some don't.

This was raised in an email amongst the RoSPA trainers recently, unfortunately I can't find the email so will have a look on the other computer later and report back.

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby ROG » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:25 am

As a lot of theses are on main trunk routes then I would have thought that there would be a law or ruling for the use and legality of them somewhere.......

I cannot imagine that they would be allowed to put them there at whim...
ROG

Postby daz6215 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 11:34 am

As far as Im aware they dont mean much simply 'edge of carriageway' they were first used back in the 30's I think!
daz6215

Postby ScoobyChris » Sun Nov 29, 2009 12:43 pm

Lots of information about where they should be used in here - search for "edge lines".

Chris
ScoobyChris

Postby ROG » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:33 pm

ScoobyChris wrote:Lots of information about where they should be used in here - search for "edge lines".

Chris

4.35 The following are examples of situations where the edge of carriageway marking might be
particularly appropriate:
(i) where the demarcation between the carriageway and the verge is poor,
(ii) along lengths prone to fog and mist,
(iii) on heavily-trafficked single carriageway roads where headlamp dazzle is severe,
(iv) at sudden changes of carriageway width,
(v) on the approaches to narrow bridges,
(vi) on the approaches to bends indicated bybend warning signs,
(vii) at the back of a hard shoulder for use during contra-flow working. A 100 mm wide marking is prescribed for this purpose, and is generally laid 50 mm from the back of the hard shoulder. It may remain when the contra-flow has been removed, or
(viii) at traffic calming measures e.g. chicanes.

Still no reference to the legality of any, if any, restrictions.......
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby TripleS » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:40 pm

daz6215 wrote:As far as Im aware they dont mean much simply 'edge of carriageway' they were first used back in the 30's I think!

I readily cross such lines if I'm wanting to make more space available to aid an overtaker, but I do wonder if this is illegal: are they supposed to reserve some space for (non-existant) cyclists etc?

As for marking the edge of the carriageway, this doesn't seem likely as the lines are sometime 18" or more from the physical edge of the road surface. Anyhow, although I generally dislike excessive and unnecessary paint on the roads, I like these lines: they're helpful in conditions of bad visibility.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Gareth » Sun Nov 29, 2009 2:48 pm

TripleS wrote:are they supposed to reserve some space for (non-existant) cyclists etc?

If they are then the end points, where the paint returns to the physical edge of the road, will be broken to allow the cyclists to escape.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby ExadiNigel » Sun Nov 29, 2009 3:32 pm

The consensus from the RoSPA trainers emails was that they are purely edge of carriageway markings.

Yes they are 18" + away from the edge in places. I think they have often been where there is no kerb. Would this help to preserve the edge of the carriageway? If too much traffic reaches the edge wouldn't that gradually break the edge up leading to pot holes etc?

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby fungus » Sun Nov 29, 2009 4:06 pm

Dorset CC seems to break the solid white line at entrances to fields and proporties.

On the A31 where the speed limit has been reduced from 60mph to 40mph, roundalls are painted on the road confirming the lowered limit, and at other points within the 40mph limit. At these points the solid white line is painted inwards as if its purpose is to reduce the width of the road at that point.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby Horse » Sun Nov 29, 2009 5:02 pm

fungus wrote:Dorset CC seems to break the solid white line at entrances to fields and proporties.

Just down the road from here, in an urban 30 limit, the council put the white lines in front of house entrances and leave parking areas clear.

However, AFAIK these or any along main roads, have no legal significance. But I'm no expert :)
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby redrobo » Sun Nov 29, 2009 6:11 pm

There are there to mark the edge of the road, broken for entrances and exits. Engineers will reduce the width of roads with them to slow drivers down. On some roads they may be put down only to re-enforce centre hazard lines.
The A38 is a prime example of road engineers using the edge markings to narrow the running lanes. On the A46 close to Stratford upon Avon they have used them in conjunction with centre cross hatching to eliminate overtaking collisions.
They have no legality and may be crossed
redrobo

Postby michael769 » Sun Nov 29, 2009 9:39 pm

Edge markings are reccomended on unlit roads with kerbs.

On recently build rural Single Carriageway roads built to current construction standards the edge of carriagway lines will be about 1m from the actual edge of the carriageway. The purpose of the gap (known as a "hard strip") is to provide for drainage of the road it also helps to keep the white line (and any cats eyes) away from the edge of the road where debris often builds up and obscures the markings. Cyclists will often take advantage of them to keep out of the way of traffic - if you were able to stop and examine the road surface you would find that this area has a slightly different construction from the rest of the road - generally it is much shallower and weaker in construction as it does not usually have to bear the weight of vehicular traffic.

As well as being broken at entrances there may also be short gaps to allow water to drain through to nearby surface drains.

Further information is available in Chapter 5 of the Traffic Signs manual

It is legal to cross the line unless unless you are on a special road (mostly motorways but also some standard dual carriageways were pedestrians and horses are not permitted such as the A720), where they usually mark the edge of a hard shoulder.

If there is a proper (no vehicles allowed) cycle lane the wider solid white line is accompanies by the road sign illustrated in the highway code.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby TripleS » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:19 am

Eh? We need a gap in the white line to allow water to drain away?

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby ScoobyChris » Mon Nov 30, 2009 9:52 am

ROG wrote:Still no reference to the legality of any, if any, restrictions.......

If there was a legal position, it would be in there - them's the rules and regulations ;)

Chris
ScoobyChris

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum