Confusion on the forecourt...

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby nigelelliott394 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:46 pm

Hi All :)

First of all I'd like to quickly introduce myself. I'm new to the forum although I've been lurking for quite a while now. My name's Nigel, I'm 19 years old and have been driving for 2 years. I recently passed my IAM test over the summer and went on to become an observer shortly after. Advanced driving is one of my main interests in life and I look forward to conversing with you all!

So, Here's the deal. Yesterday I was driving in to my local forecourt, I found all the pumps to be occupied but one. Unfortunately, it was on the wrong side for where my fuel flap is on the car so I drove around the pumps (in a bit of a circle) to face the opposite direction so the pump would then be on the correct side of the car.

Whilst doing my about turn on the forecourt, I spotted a cars reverse lights on parked at some spaces just in front of the forecourt. Stupidly, I assumed he'd seen me and had him reverse out quite harshly and came within a few inches of the side of my car. I managed to accelerate out of the way, parked at the pump and got out. The man left the station very abruptly.

I accept that I should have gave way to the guy reversing or at least slowed down until i was sure he'd seen me. A classic school-boy error on my part. Although I am wondering, how can such an incident be prevented in the future?

I'm hoping my story is of benefit to someone and they'll remember it next time they're on the forecourt :)
nigelelliott394

Postby Gareth » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:58 pm

The filler cap side of the car doesn't need to be on the side of the car closest to the pumps, in most cases, as the hose reaches to the far side providing you park reasonably close to the pump and the filler cap is lined up with the nozzle you intend using.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby nigelelliott394 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:06 pm

Yeah, my reason for avoiding doing that was quite simply, I don't like scratching my paintwork. Stupid, i know. In driving around the pumps I took more risks than scratching the paintwork.
nigelelliott394

Postby 7db » Thu Dec 03, 2009 3:41 pm

Welcome Nigel.

Use the horn?
7db

Postby x-Sonia-x » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:01 pm

Hi Nigel

nigelelliott394 wrote: A classic school-boy error on my part. Although I am wondering, how can such an incident be prevented in the future?

I personally dont think the error was on your part at all. The one thing you shouldnt do when driving is reversing without making sure there are no others that you could affect. He didnt see you, that was his error, yes you could of slowed once you had seen him and like you say next time you will :wink: . You cant really prevent this happening again because you will always get people who dont look properly before they reverse. This is of course only my own humble opinion :wink:
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby nigelelliott394 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:13 pm

7db wrote:
Welcome Nigel.

Use the horn?

Certainly something I considered AFTER i'd accelerated out of the way. I find I'm very reluctant to use my horn but it definitely would have been of use in this scenario.

x-Sonia-x wrote:Hi Nigel

nigelelliott394 wrote: A classic school-boy error on my part. Although I am wondering, how can such an incident be prevented in the future?

I personally dont think the error was on your part at all. The one thing you shouldnt do when driving is reversing without making sure there are no others that you could affect. He didnt see you, that was his error, yes you could of slowed once you had seen him and like you say next time you will :wink: . You cant really prevent this happening again because you will always get people who dont look properly before they reverse. This is of course only my own humble opinion :wink:

Next time, I think i'll definitely slow down. Even though you can't prevent other people from doing things like this (not looking in their mirror), I guess you can prevent yourself becoming involved. I'm willing to accept that I made a bit of a mistake in order to learn from it :)
nigelelliott394

Postby x-Sonia-x » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:15 pm

nigelelliott394 wrote:Certainly something I considered AFTER i'd accelerated out of the way. I find I'm very reluctant to use my horn but it definitely would have been of use in this scenario.

..............mmmmm...me too!!! Ive used mine once since I passed, and that was at a woman who was walking down the middle of the A12, which is very busy DC!!!!
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby ROG » Thu Dec 03, 2009 5:48 pm

nigelelliott394 wrote:I find I'm very reluctant to use my horn

I have a little task for you...
Drive down a busy high street or shopping area and when no-one is very close to you use a very short toot on the horn and see how many turn to look in your direction
This will give you confidence to use it without thinking that it is going to upset someone
ROG (retired)
Civilian Advanced Driver
Observer - Leicester Group of Advanced Motorists
EX LGV instructor
ROG

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:02 pm

Welcome, Nigel,

I'm afraid I agree with Gareth. Just pull the hose over from the other side. If you park a little past the pump, the hose may not even touch your car. If it's likely to, you can hold it out of the way. There tends to be a convention in filling stations that traffic flows in a particular direction, so using the other side of the pump is often less trouble in the long run.

Using the horn is something I'm practising and find myself doing a lot more than I did before I started advanced driving. Just having practised, you find yourself thinking about using it earlier, and more likely to do so. An adage that was transferred to me a year or two ago (possibly by Gareth, in fact) is "if you are thinking about using the horn, you probably need to, so go on and use it".

The other thing, of course, is to be immediately wary as soon as you see brake/reversing lights. Have an escape plan, and if that escape plan is to stop, or even reverse yourself, with or without the use of the horn, it's a valid plan. You chose to accelerate. It worked for you. Luckily the person you were accelerating towards (presumably there was someone at the other pump of the pair facing you?) didn't choose that moment to set off! :)
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby nigelelliott394 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:23 pm

Sound advice from both of you :)

@ROG - I'm definitely going to try that soon

@Mr Cholmondeley-Warner - I'll try filling up like that next time. I'll come up with some sort of technique to ensure the paintwork remains swirl free :D

RE: the escape plan.. That's something i'm going to try and keep in mind from now on. Any tips for developing your escape plans at all?
nigelelliott394

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Thu Dec 03, 2009 6:42 pm

So you're a 19 year old with a brand new car? :P Well done.

Re escape plans. It's all about planning ahead. So use the system of car control:

Information - I see some reversing lights
Position - I will either move away from them, or slow / stop to leave a gap
Speed - I think I'll slow down a bit (or alternatively accelerate, but the latter is more risky)
Gear - is correct for the situation
(old fashioned 6 step system) Horn - consider a horn warning
Accelerate - well maybe, but let's wait to see what develops first, shall we :)

Also use OAR - Observe, Anticipate and React. I Observe some reversing lights. I Anticipate that the car will reverse. I will React by stopping / accelerating out of danger / sounding my horn / a combination of some of the above.

I hope that doesn't sound patronising. It's not meant to. When you have the initial plan, you can extend it more and more moves ahead. Then it becomes "succession planning" where you anticipate a sequence of things, and plan your driving so that you are not endangered or impeded by any of them.

You probably already do this unconsciously.

- You are driving along and you come upon some parked cars. Someone is also coming towards you. You time your approach so that either you pass the parked cars before they get to the pinch point, or you slow so that as they pass, you pull out smoothly behind them around the parked cars.

- You are approaching a pedestrian crossing and there is someone waiting. The WAIT sign is illuminated. You anticipate that the lights will change so you slow slightly. Sure enough the crossing lights turn red. You continue slowly towards the crossing, counting 7 seconds in your head. As you arrive at the crossing, 7 seconds later or so, the lights go green and you continue through without stopping.

And so on...
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby nigelelliott394 » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:05 pm

@Mr Cholmondeley-Warner - It's far from new... almost 10 years old in fact but it's washed, polished and waxed regularly. :)

So really, with applying the Roadcraft system more effectively, escape plans should almost follow naturally. I think it's easy to fall in to a sort of mindset where you think "Oh, I've reached my destination (in this case the petrol station) so I'll relax a bit".

You're right about doing a lot of that unconsciously though. Great examples in your post too and by no means patronising at all :) I'm very appreciative of any advice I'm given on my driving!

nigelelliott394

Postby Gareth » Thu Dec 03, 2009 7:30 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:"if you are thinking about using the horn, you probably need to, so go on and use it".

More like, "if you are considering using your horn, then the moment to do so has already passed".

It's something that applies in many ways and the trick is to act on those little feelings of disquiet without letting your (slow) brain get in the way. Another is "if you think you may need a lower gear change down now".

Don't wait for the situation to get worse.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby TripleS » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:04 pm

nigelelliott394 wrote:Yeah, my reason for avoiding doing that was quite simply, I don't like scratching my paintwork. Stupid, i know. In driving around the pumps I took more risks than scratching the paintwork.

I share your concerns about scatching the paintwork, and it's no use anybody saying "Ah, but it's only a rubber hose, it'll do no harm." It might only be a rubber hose, but it can still pick up a fair amount of fine grit, easily enough to produce scratching if it is dragged across the paint.

If I have to park at the wrong side I hold the hose clear of the car - which is a bit tiresome when it takes an age to fill the tank - but at least I don't need to do it often. :)

Anyhow, welcome to ADUK, Nigel.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Thu Dec 03, 2009 8:14 pm

Minor detail:

With modern cars I find it is not easy to give a quiet horn note. The horn pad usually takes a very firm push to emit any sound at all, and then it gives you a loud blast which can startle and annoy people.

Back in the good old days (yes, I know!) of Jaguars with a horn ring you could lightly bounce your hand off the horn ring and that gave a quiet toot, or press it more firmly to get a louder and longer note. I found it worked better anyhow.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum