Roadcraft

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby x-Sonia-x » Sat Dec 05, 2009 2:22 am

The driver who I worked with tonight has always been interested in driving and his copy of Roadcraft is dated 1963 :shock: He actually tells me it isnt much different to the one today with the execption of better illustrations :lol: . He is going to bring it in next week for me to borrow. Quite amazing to think that after 46 years not much has changed. I wonder if anyone on here has an older one than that :?: :wink:
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby Gareth » Sat Dec 05, 2009 11:31 am

Being somewhat anal I have 4 copies. The most recent is copyright 1997, ninth impression date 2004. The next oldest is copyright 1994, and I think I only bought it to be horrified by the crap in the first chapter. Next is the 'blue book' that I used when I first learned about advanced driving, copyright 1977, 12th impression 1989. Finally I have a copy from before I was born, copyright 1960, reprinted 1961.
there is only the road, nothing but the road ...
Gareth

Postby kfae8959 » Sat Dec 05, 2009 12:03 pm

Can we play "Roadcraft Top Trumps"?! I've got the 1955 version, which I think may be the first edition. I've also got an interesting one from 1968, which is not called "Roadcraft" but "Manual of Police Driving Instruction", and is marked "copies will be sold only to Chief Officers of Police on written application to HMSO". Apparently the contents were to be kept from the general public!

There are differences from the two most recent editions, especially with the introduction of more about the psychology of driving and in the way that the System is summarized.

David
"A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information"
kfae8959

Postby Still learning » Sat Dec 05, 2009 7:59 pm

Hi

+ 1 to that list above.

I decided to get them all too.

It does make some interesting reading and while some basics are much the same all the way through there are some interesting notes in the olderones that have long been dropped from later editions.

Brian

ps I also bought the various editions of the Highway Code!
Remembering that as a driver or instructor, no matter how much you know or think you know, there is always more to learn!
Still learning

Postby x-Sonia-x » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:00 pm

Well I must say im quite amazed.....did not expect anyone to have several copies :shock: ....... let alone 8 :shock: :shock:

kfae8959 wrote:There are differences from the two most recent editions, especially with the introduction of more about the psychology of driving and in the way that the System is summarized.

This is more where my interests lie, as im now in my third year of BAhons degree in psychology, im really quite interested in reading the early edition 8)

kfae8959 wrote:Can we play "Roadcraft Top Trumps"?!

Sorry......nooo we cant....coz I will be last only having my copy for about 6 weeks :lol: :lol: :lol:
x-Sonia-x

Postby x-Sonia-x » Sat Dec 05, 2009 8:03 pm

Still learning wrote:ps I also bought the various editions of the Highway Code!

hi Brian

surely the highway code hasnt changed that much :?: :!:
x-Sonia-x

Postby martine » Sat Dec 05, 2009 9:23 pm

I have all the major editions of the Highway Code from 1931 to present day (sad or what?).

I met someone last week who has ALL editions...i.e. reprints and minor changes as well! At least mine all have different covers.

Right from the beginning the HWC said: "...be ready and able to pull up well within the distance you can see to be clear' but some other things have changed drastically...the hand signals to be used by horse drawn vehicles are fantastic!
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby x-Sonia-x » Sun Dec 06, 2009 12:03 am

martine wrote:I have all the major editions of the Highway Code from 1931 to present day (sad or what?).

I wouldnt say sad coz I think im gonna end up the same lol....I now feel the need to find copy of first HWC, just so I can amuse meself and read it :D

martine wrote:Right from the beginning the HWC said: "...be ready and able to pull up well within the distance you can see to be clear'

....I think thats amazing too :)
x-Sonia-x

Postby kfae8959 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:41 pm

x-Sonia-x wrote:This is more where my interests lie, as im now in my third year of BAhons degree in psychology, im really quite interested in reading the early edition 8)

You might like to have a look at Gordon Sharpe's book "Human Aspects of Police Driving", then: that's where the recent editions of "Roadcraft" have taken their psychological content from.

David
"A man's life in these parts often depends on a mere scrap of information"
kfae8959

Postby TripleS » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:58 pm

BTW, on the Roadcraft DVD (just to show that I have bought it, and watched it a time or two), why is Louise wearing what looks like a wedding ring on the wrong finger?

No matter really, she seems to have a nice coaching style. I expect she was one of Von's pupils. :)

Oh, and another BTW: when prompting the student about overtaking, they only seemed to concern themselves with oncomers. There didn't seem to be any reference to wariness when overtaking near to a junctions or a lay-by that might complicate matters.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sun Dec 06, 2009 5:59 pm

In an extra geeky mood the other night, I made a list - and I promise that was before I'd seen this thread! :oops: :oops:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby crr003 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:12 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:In an extra geeky mood the other night, I made a list - and I promise that was before I'd seen this thread! :oops: :oops:

Sadly, I find I have several of those books/dvds too.
But I'm not a geek.............. 8)
crr003

Postby x-Sonia-x » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:52 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:In an extra geeky mood the other night, I made a list - and I promise that was before I'd seen this thread! :oops: :oops:

Well, well, well young Nick, just when i couldnt be shocked anymore you go and pull another one out of the bag.........im impressed :D . So, of your very long list which would you say is your fav or influenced you most?

crr003 wrote:Sadly, I find I have several of those books/dvds too.
But I'm not a geek..............

Id agree.....coz I reckon I will catch you all up soon :wink: 8)
x-Sonia-x

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Sun Dec 06, 2009 7:59 pm

x-Sonia-x wrote:So, of your very long list which would you say is your fav or influenced you most?
Hard to say. The John Miles is a very good book, but a little dry for constant re-reading. The one I'm reading at the moment, which I omitted from the list (but have now corrected) is very good too. It's "The Porsche Driving Book" by Martin Beck Burridge and John Lyon.
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby crr003 » Sun Dec 06, 2009 8:13 pm

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:It's "The Porsche Driving Book" by Martin Beck Burridge and John Lyon.

Do they do one for Vauxhalls?
crr003

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum