Illuminted Number Plates Now Fitted

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby Still learning » Tue Dec 08, 2009 9:46 pm

Hi,

As the title says, I have just got a set of brightplates fitted to my VXR8 and I think they look pretty good as anything that makes you more visible in the dark is a bonus!

I know some won't like them, but for us they are just another thing to turn heads.

I just need to get some different bulbs sorted for the front lights now.

A few pictures to give you an idea but do look better in 'the flesh' so to speak.

Remembering that as a driver or instructor, no matter how much you know or think you know, there is always more to learn!
Still learning

Postby crr003 » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:09 pm

I was going to ask is the front plate legal from a lighting point of view?

The brightplates web site says:

"the most popular question being " look great but are they legal?". Of course they are !

The European Commission are reviewing legislation and regulations concerning vehicle number plates. There is considerable weight behind the notion that front plates should be required to have illumination as this improves identification and also adds to safety by delivering better visibility."
crr003

Postby Mr Cholmondeley-Warner » Wed Dec 09, 2009 12:17 am

Some people have underfloor neons, others have illuminated number plates ... :wink:
Mr Cholmondeley-Warner

Postby Still learning » Wed Dec 09, 2009 1:45 am

Mr Cholmondeley-Warner wrote:Some people have underfloor neons, others have illuminated number plates ... :wink:

Hi,

I can definately see the White VXR8 getting the blue neons for show and display purposes, certainly draws the young ones in!! :shock:
Remembering that as a driver or instructor, no matter how much you know or think you know, there is always more to learn!
Still learning

Postby martine » Wed Dec 09, 2009 4:57 pm

Never seen these before and I must admit they do look rather nice. How do they illuminate?
Martin - Bristol IAM: IMI National Observer and Group Secretary, DSA: ADI, Fleet, RoSPA (Dip)
martine

Postby TripleS » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:07 pm

crr003 wrote:I was going to ask is the front plate legal from a lighting point of view?

The brightplates web site says:

"the most popular question being " look great but are they legal?". Of course they are !

The European Commission are reviewing legislation and regulations concerning vehicle number plates. There is considerable weight behind the notion that front plates should be required to have illumination as this improves identification and also adds to safety by delivering better visibility."

Enforced chavness.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby Still learning » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:08 pm

martine wrote:Never seen these before and I must admit they do look rather nice. How do they illuminate?

The number plates have LED lights manufactured into the side of the actual plates at each side and are then wired to come on with your sidelights.

They do look better in the flesh and are not quite as bright as the photos make them look and the rear is definately a yellow glow not white as it seems in the pictures.

Not many cars have them yet so the cars do stand out once they are on and do turn heads, ... ahem
.... and of course from a road safety point of view the cars are seen easier.

Brian
Still learning

Postby Horse » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:28 pm

Still learning wrote: and of course from a road safety point of view the cars are seen easier.

Easier than . . . A pair of sidelights while you're driving in a streetlit area, or a pair of xenons when you're not? :roll:
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby Octy_Ross » Wed Dec 09, 2009 5:54 pm

Chuffin' expensive to have on a normal car though - i.e. one that's not a roving advert! did you get a sponsorship sticker from the plate company to stick on the car ?!!
Octy_Ross

Postby GJD » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:34 pm

TripleS wrote:
crr003 wrote: There is considerable weight behind the notion that front plates should be required to have illumination as this improves identification and also adds to safety by delivering better visibility."

Enforced chavness.

Enforced bleedin' expensiveness when a damaged one needs replacing?
GJD

Postby crr003 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:36 pm

Horse wrote:
Still learning wrote: and of course from a road safety point of view the cars are seen easier.

Easier than . . . A pair of sidelights while you're driving in a streetlit area, or a pair of xenons when you're not? :roll:

Just drive round with front fogs on for additional "see me" illumination - they come with the car.......
crr003

Postby Still learning » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:07 pm

crr003 wrote:Just drive round with front fogs on for additional "see me" illumination - they come with the car.......

No i don't think it has the same effect as too many people doing that now as a matter of course and it is good to be a bit different :wink:
Still learning

Postby TripleS » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:32 pm

GJD wrote:
TripleS wrote:
crr003 wrote: There is considerable weight behind the notion that front plates should be required to have illumination as this improves identification and also adds to safety by delivering better visibility."

Enforced chavness.

Enforced bleedin' expensiveness when a damaged one needs replacing?

Yes, there is that too. I initially contented myself with a rare moment of frivolity 8) but this proposed development is not entirely good news.

It would make vehicles more easily seen if they're linked to sidelights usage, but it still wouldn't help the dickheads who drive around with no lights at all in very gloomy conditions, and there are plenty of those around. Still, I suppose that is merely the other end of the stupidity scale from those who drive around in brilliant sunshine with headlights and front foglights on. :evil:

Best wishes all,
Dave.
Last edited by TripleS on Thu Dec 10, 2009 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TripleS

Postby Horse » Wed Dec 09, 2009 9:55 pm

TripleS wrote: Still, I suppose that is merely the other end of the stupidity scale from those who drive around in brilliant sunshine with headlights and front foglights on. :evil:

From 2011, buy a new car you won't have a choice . . . What I don't understand is that the likes of Audi decide you 'need' a row of bright LEDs to be seen in daylight, so they paint the car grey or black. :roll:
Anything posted by 'Horse' may be (C) Malcolm Palmer. Please ask for permission before considering any copying or re-use outside of forum posting.
Horse

Postby TripleS » Thu Dec 10, 2009 2:11 pm

Horse wrote:
TripleS wrote: Still, I suppose that is merely the other end of the stupidity scale from those who drive around in brilliant sunshine with headlights and front foglights on. :evil:

From 2011, buy a new car you won't have a choice . . . What I don't understand is that the likes of Audi decide you 'need' a row of bright LEDs to be seen in daylight, so they paint the car grey or black. :roll:

Last I heard about this it was still being argued about and it seemed as if it might not go ahead, so I very much hope you are wrong there. There has been very little likelihood of me buying a new car for quite a while, and the way things are shaping up I'm even less likely to do it now. I've now had my present car for almost nine years and 132,000 miles, and I've enjoyed the economy of it, so I'm hoping it will survive to the end of my driving days. If it doesn't I shall probably have a final fling with something Jaguarish, but old enough to be free from most of the technocrap.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum