Reversing

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby x-Sonia-x » Wed Dec 09, 2009 6:37 pm

My daughter has been having driving lessons for about a year and her driving is good, but like me, she has a problem with reversing :oops: . I know I cant sit next to her while she drives as I only past my test a year ago but I have been thinking about taking her to a car park near me - its empty on sundays - and let her practice bay parking in my car. Is this is good idea.....or would I be teaching her bad habits?? :?
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby nigelelliott394 » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:18 pm

In my opinion, it's a great idea! As long as you encourage her to use a good steering method and plenty of rear observation I see it as a positive thing and something that will certainly help her to feel more confident before taking her test :)
nigelelliott394

Postby TripleS » Wed Dec 09, 2009 7:57 pm

Hiya Sonia,

I think it's well worth while going together to a quiet area where you can practice together if you're both having a bit of difficulty with parking and the like. I still have some bother with that at times, but I'm a slow learner. :(

Maybe the two of you can devise ways of helping each other with this - which sounds good to me.

The only bad news here is where you refer to your daughter: prior to that I was getting ideas. :lol: I'm constantly in trouble with Mrs TripleS for that sort of thing. :shock:

Best wishes all,
Dave - there's still life in the old dog yet! :P
TripleS

Postby x-Sonia-x » Wed Dec 09, 2009 10:04 pm

nigelelliott394 wrote:In my opinion, it's a great idea! As long as you encourage her to use a good steering method and plenty of rear observation I see it as a positive thing and something that will certainly help her to feel more confident before taking her test :)

Giving her more confidence is really what I want to do. I failed 7 out of 10 tests for reversing too wide around corner, I know I have a mental block when it comes to reversing...Ive had this since I was 18, (to do with steering) and it hasnt got any better :twisted: :oops:. I dont want it to be the thing that will let her down - I havent mentioned this to her by the way!!

Hello Dave

You are funny... :lol: :lol: :lol:
TripleS wrote:The only bad news here is where you refer to your daughter: prior to that I was getting ideas. I'm constantly in trouble with Mrs TripleS for that sort of thing.

Best wishes all,
Dave - there's still life in the old dog yet!

TripleS wrote:I still have some bother with that at times, but I'm a slow learner.

There cant be anyone slower than me.....surely..... :lol: :lol: 24 years of lessons (with breaks inbetween though!!!) and 10 tests......and I still cant reverse..... :lol: :lol: :lol:
x-Sonia-x

Postby ExadiNigel » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:01 pm

Although it may be a good idea to get extra practise, it isn't worth breaking the law over. What happens if something goes wrong and an accident happens? Is it worth getting points & fines?

If your daughter is not getting the hang of something, try another instructor who may explain things differently.

I had one pupil who really struggled with her left reverse. We'd get it under control towards the end of one lesson and it would go to pot for the next lesson. I ended up arranging for another instructor to take her out and it was sorted! For good! Unfortunately, I never could work out what was done differently, but what ever it was it was worth it.

I'm sure you've probably heard of the 'look where you want teh car to go' and 'your hands follow your eyes' sayings. Well, it works in reverse too! Look where you want the car to end up.

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby x-Sonia-x » Wed Dec 09, 2009 11:24 pm

Thanx for your advice Nigel, I am a bit worried....thats why I thought id ask on here for advice. The last thing I ever want is points on me licence.....its a personal nightmare of mine :evil: !! Especially in the first 2 yrs...coz 6 means I would lose it, and there is NOOOO way I will let that happen :D . I do sit in back on many of her lessons, and I see her doing exactly the same as I do...which is probably normal, get half way round the corner, look around, then forget where it is your steering is at, and then it all goes to pot!!! :mrgreen:
x-Sonia-x

Postby fungus » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:45 pm

Sonia, I don't wish to sound like a doom and gloom merchant, and I appretiate you wanting to help your daughter. But as Nigel said, is it worth breaking the law for. It's not just the points on your licence, it could possibly impact on your daughters licence too, as she could be deemed to be party to the offence. There's also insurance implications to consider if you had an accident and damaged someone elses property. Your insurers could say that she was driving whilst not in accordance with the conditions of her licence, and could refuse to pay out! Add this together, and the financial consequences could be quite serious for both of you. Do as Nigel said, find another instructor, and someone who is qualified to accompany a learner when she does private practice.

I have a small circular blind spot mirror stuck in the outer corner of my left door mirror which is angled so that the kerb can be seen. I find this usefull in assessing the position of the kerb when doing a left reverse. Provided it is not relied upon to get round the corner, there is no harm in assessing the position of the rear of the car whilst making all round observations, but you must be looking mainly in the direction of travel. If I see a pupil relying on it I simply place my hand so that they can't see the mirror. They soon get the message.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby ExadiNigel » Thu Dec 10, 2009 4:51 pm

If your daughter is happy with her current instructor, I wouldn't necessarily change instructor altogether. Perhaps have a chat with him and see if he could arrange a reversing lesson with an alternative instructor to see if a different approach helps.

Where are you based? perhaps Fungus, myself, still learning or another instructor on here could help out?

Nigel
Ex - ADI & Fleet Trainer, RoADAR Diploma, National Standards Cycling Instructor, ex- Registered Assessor for BTEC in Driving Science, ex-Member RoADAR & IAM, Plymouth, ex - SAFED registered trainer
ExadiNigel

Postby TripleS » Thu Dec 10, 2009 5:33 pm

Ah, sorry, I had overlooked the need for a supervising driver to have held a full licence for a period - three years is it? - before they can sit in with a learner.

Anyhow, Sonia, all credit to you for persevering with your own lessons, and winning in the end. Admirable. :)

I was much more fortunate: brilliant instructors, and an examiner who was surely in a very good mood on test day. 8)

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby nigelelliott394 » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:09 pm

TripleS wrote:Ah, sorry, I had overlooked the need for a supervising driver to have held a full licence for a period - three years is it? - before they can sit in with a learner.

Anyhow, Sonia, all credit to you for persevering with your own lessons, and winning in the end. Admirable. :)

I was much more fortunate: brilliant instructors, and an examiner who was surely in a very good mood on test day. 8)

Best wishes all,
Dave.

As did I... a good idea but certainly not worth breaking the law for.
nigelelliott394

Postby fungus » Thu Dec 10, 2009 6:27 pm

[quote="nigelelliott394"][quote="TripleS"][b]Ah, sorry, I had overlooked the need for a supervising driver to have held a full licence for a period - three years is it? - before they can sit in with a learner.[/b]

Best wishes all,
Dave.[/quote]

As did I... a good idea but certainly not worth breaking the law for.[/quote]

The accompanying driver must be 21 years of age or over, and have held a full licence for a minimum of three years.

This puts me in mind of an enquirey I had some months ago. A father phoned to ask if I could take his son for his test which was three weeks away. Asking a few questions, it transpired that there had been no profesional instruction, but his mate thought that he was a good driver, and would have no problem passing the test. :roll: Eeeeeeek. It was soon apparent that they did not want to pay for lessons, and only wanted the use of a car for the test. Needless to say they didn't get it, not from me anyway.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby TripleS » Thu Dec 10, 2009 7:22 pm

fungus wrote:A father phoned to ask if I could take his son for his test which was three weeks away. Asking a few questions, it transpired that there had been no professional instruction, but his mate thought that he was a good driver, and would have no problem passing the test. :roll: Eeeeeeek. It was soon apparent that they did not want to pay for lessons, and only wanted the use of a car for the test. Needless to say they didn't get it, not from me anyway.

Oh dear "....his mate thought that he was a good driver...."

Well that would be nice if true, but it needed checking. By the sound of it I think you did right to steer clear.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby x-Sonia-x » Thu Dec 10, 2009 10:55 pm

TripleS wrote:Anyhow, Sonia, all credit to you for persevering with your own lessons, and winning in the end. Admirable.

Thanx Dave xx best thing I have ever done :D :D :D

TripleS wrote:I was much more fortunate: brilliant instructors, and an examiner who was surely in a very good mood on test day.

I hold my hat off to my instructor....he was amazing to put up with me...I must of been 'the pupil from hell' for him. I had convinced myself mentally I would never be able to drive...this took alot of work and alot of hours to sort. He had belief in me, when I had no belief in myself! I think this is why I am now obsessed :lol: :lol: ...and it amazes me too that I now absolutely love driving...crazy really :roll:

nigelelliott394 wrote:As did I... a good idea but certainly not worth breaking the law for.

I was under the assumption that if you was on private property - ie an empty car park - then the legal side didnt apply?? :? Obviously it does though!
x-Sonia-x

Postby ExadiNigel » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:37 pm

For the legal side to not apply, the land mustn't be accessible to the general public (a supermarket car park is publicly accessible) and you must have the permission of the owner.

Nigel
ExadiNigel

Postby x-Sonia-x » Fri Dec 11, 2009 1:10 am

adiNigel wrote:For the legal side to not apply, the land mustn't be accessible to the general public (a supermarket car park is publicly accessible) and you must have the permission of the owner.

Nigel

Ahhhhhh ....... I see now :wink: It was Chelmsford City FC car park...but I suppose same rules apply as supermarket. I know no-one uses it on Sundays so thought it would be ideal place. Thanx for clearing that up for me Nigel x
x-Sonia-x

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum