Driving in Snow!!

Forum for general chat, news, blogs, humour, jokes etc.

Postby x-Sonia-x » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:38 pm

Ive just driven back from London, in the snow (first time ive driven in snow) - quite an experience...similar to the Star Trek ride at Disneyland Paris :D 8) . The one thing I was really unsure of though is what to do about the windscreen?? The snow was quite heavy but the windscreen wipers werent clearing it, just smearing it across the screen and making it really dirty and thus visibility poor. I didnt want to use the washer as it was soooo cold and I wasnt sure whether that would just freeze and make it worse?? :twisted:
Never climb a fence...much easier to sit on it!!
x-Sonia-x

Postby jasonh » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:50 pm

As long as you have adequate antifreeze in your washer bottle (which you should) then you're best off using the screenwash to clear the screen.

I think tonight was the first time I've driven while snow was actually falling and I found it really strange because the lights reflecting off the snow give you sight of how fast you're moving relative to the air (if that makes sense), which you can't normally see in the same way. Usually the visual reference points for speed are the ground and the scenery either side but with the snow there it is quite odd.
IAM April 2008
jasonh

Postby x-Sonia-x » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:59 pm

jasonh wrote:As long as you have adequate antifreeze in your washer bottle (which you should) then you're best off using the screenwash to clear the screen.

This may seem a stupid question to ask...but do you put anti-freeze in water bottle yourself, or does screenwash already have it in??? :oops: :oops:

jasonh wrote:I think tonight was the first time I've driven while snow was actually falling and I found it really strange because the lights reflecting off the snow give you sight of how fast you're moving relative to the air (if that makes sense), which you can't normally see in the same way. Usually the visual reference points for speed are the ground and the scenery either side but with the snow there it is quite odd.

I agree totally ....the actual visual experience was quite surreal 8)
x-Sonia-x

Postby Porker » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:03 pm

It's useful to keep a lot of heat going to the screen. That is, have your windscreen demist set to a fairly high setting to offset the chilling effect of the cold air and the snow on the outside of the screen.

In older cars, this often gave you a choice between being warm inside the car or being able to see through the screen.

regards
P.
Porker

Postby TripleS » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:14 pm

x-Sonia-x wrote:
jasonh wrote:As long as you have adequate antifreeze in your washer bottle (which you should) then you're best off using the screenwash to clear the screen.

This may seem a stupid question to ask...but do you put anti-freeze in water bottle yourself, or does screenwash already have it in??? :oops: :oops:

Don't put normal anti-freeze in your screenwasher bottle. This is only suitable for the cooling system, and it can be very damaging to paintwork.

Use proper screenwash fluid which has anti-freeze properties itself, but read the instructions about how much to dilute it. This depends on what degree of frost we're needing to cope with.

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Postby TripleS » Fri Dec 18, 2009 10:44 am

chriskay wrote:If you haven't got any of the proper screenwash, try a bottle of vodka; alcohol lowers the freezing point extremely well. :D As TripleS says, on no account use engine antifreeze or you'll have damaged paintwork to add to your list of woes (& you won't be able to claim that against your crappy dealer). :x

I'd be quite happy to try a bottle of vodka - at a suitably modest rate of consumption - but it wouldn't be going in my screenwasher bottle. :P

Best wishes all,
Dave - looking forward to having his freezing point lowered. :)
TripleS

Postby x-Sonia-x » Fri Dec 18, 2009 1:49 pm

TripleS wrote:
chriskay wrote:If you haven't got any of the proper screenwash, try a bottle of vodka; alcohol lowers the freezing point extremely well. :D As TripleS says, on no account use engine antifreeze or you'll have damaged paintwork to add to your list of woes (& you won't be able to claim that against your crappy dealer). :x

I'd be quite happy to try a bottle of vodka - at a suitably modest rate of consumption - but it wouldn't be going in my screenwasher bottle. :P

Best wishes all,

Think I will join you :lol: :lol:

I have got proper screenwash in me boot, so will have a look at it before I venture out later :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Porker wrote:It's useful to keep a lot of heat going to the screen. That is, have your windscreen demist set to a fairly high setting to offset the chilling effect of the cold air and the snow on the outside of the screen.

I was doing the opposite...DOH!!!! :oops:

Although I drove in snow last night, it wasnt settled and had just started. Tonight I will be going to work and then driving home again in early hours of the morning. The journey is about 6 miles, on unlit NSL roads. I am a bit scared and the only knowledge I have is that you shouldnt use the brake to slow down, only the gears and if your car starts to slip dont turn the wheel. Is there any other advice please??
x-Sonia-x

Postby Porker » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:37 pm

Sonia

At its simplest, I would suggest the following priorities:

i) Drive slowly.
ii) Keep a very good lookout for areas that are more slippery than others (eg where there's some residual snow on an otherwise clear road).
iii) Do use the brakes but use them gently. An alternative - if you have the space and time - is to use engine braking but this also has its disadvantages - you need to ease off the throttle rather than closing it quickly.
iv) If you brake and the wheels lock, try to release the brakes and then reapply them more gently. If they lock again, use a pumping action on the brake pedal, which gives more braking than locked wheels and which allows you to do some steering as well. Locked wheels give you no steering at all...

But really, it needs practice in suitable conditions rather than advice on a forum.

P.
Porker

Postby michael769 » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:44 pm

Porker wrote:iv) If you brake and the wheels lock, try to release the brakes and then reapply them more gently. If they lock again, use a pumping action on the brake pedal, which gives more braking than locked wheels and which allows you to do some steering as well. Locked wheels give you no steering at all...

Pumping should not be used on a vehicle equipped with ABS.

Sometimes in very poor grip ABS can come on very aggressively and this means that in very severe conditions the barking distance for an ABS car can be substantially more than for one without, something that needs to be allowed for when selecting speed and/or distance to the car in front.
Minds are like parachutes - they only function when open
Thomas Robert Dewar(1864-1930)
michael769

Postby Porker » Fri Dec 18, 2009 2:53 pm

Michael

Good point - I was writing for Sonia rather than for general consumption but that wasn't at all clear from my post.

Sonia's personal car is not ABS-equipped but others she may drive are, potentially.

regards
P.
Porker

Postby GJD » Fri Dec 18, 2009 3:38 pm

michael769 wrote:the barking distance for an ABS car

I had a bit of ABS action manoeuvring on the snow this morning. If anything, I'd describe the noise as closer to a growl than a bark... :wink:

Gavin
GJD

Postby x-Sonia-x » Fri Dec 18, 2009 4:38 pm

Porker wrote:iv) If you brake and the wheels lock, try to release the brakes and then reapply them more gently. If they lock again, use a pumping action on the brake pedal, which gives more braking than locked wheels and which allows you to do some steering as well. Locked wheels give you no steering at all...

Thanx Nick!! this is the best bit of advice you could of given me today, as the its my biggest fear :cry: Being in control of 6 tonnes of metal was the biggest fear I had to overcome when I had my lessons. I now know I have that control under normal driving conditions. Obviously with this weather the chances are I will lose control and wont know how to handle it, if I panic id probably slam on the brakes! Hopefully the above advice will 'kick in'!! Maybe im worrying a tad too much...!!

I have topped up the screenwash.....and on the front of the bottle in big letters it says 'all year protection against freezing'......shows how observant I am :lol:
x-Sonia-x

Postby x-Sonia-x » Fri Dec 18, 2009 5:38 pm

chriskay wrote:
x-Sonia-x wrote: Being in control of 6 tonnes of metal was the biggest fear I had to overcome when I had my lessons.

Wow, Sonia; what did you learn in? :shock: Most small cars weigh between 1 & 1.5 tonnes.

ooops :oops: ...now im embarrassed... :oops: :oops: ...us girls cant help exaggerating slightly from time to time :lol: :lol:
x-Sonia-x

Postby fungus » Fri Dec 18, 2009 6:21 pm

I tested the grip on a single track road yesterday on the way to a pupil. Road surface which is rough tarmac, looked semi wet, but under moderate braking I had a reaction from the ABS.

No snow as yet down here in Dorset.
Nigel ADI
IAM observer
fungus

Postby TripleS » Fri Dec 18, 2009 9:12 pm

x-Sonia-x wrote:
TripleS wrote:I'd be quite happy to try a bottle of vodka - at a suitably modest rate of consumption - but it wouldn't be going in my screenwasher bottle. :P

Best wishes all,

Think I will join you :lol: :lol:

Oh good! I think I'm being propositioned - or something; but it's another couple of weeks to my birthday. ;)

Best wishes all,
Dave.
TripleS

Next

Return to General Car Chat Forum